What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

8 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

For me, I would move on from every punter and kicker.  I would also move on from Corcoran.  Perhaps he can be "trained up", yes, then get a good coach who can do that.  It's like Remember The Titans with that guy, he's just getting beat every play [put in Pete' ... he's better].  Ryan Reynolds [I think] was the actor who played cornerback that said to play Pete' cause he couldn't compete against these guys.

Ryan Gosling was the actor.

• Plus1 2

24 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

For me, I would move on from every punter and kicker.  I would also move on from Corcoran.  Perhaps he can be "trained up", yes, then get a good coach who can do that.  It's like Remember The Titans with that guy, he's just getting beat every play [put in Pete' ... he's better].  Ryan Gosling [thanks for the correction FunHusker] was the actor who played cornerback that said to play Pete' cause he couldn't compete against these guys.

I think it's a little early in his career to move on from a near 5 star lineman. Maybe move him inside, or give him time to develop, but you don't move on from players like that, especially so early in their career. 

• Plus1 7
5 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

I think it's a little early in his career to move on from a near 5 star lineman. Maybe move him inside, or give him time to develop, but you don't move on from players like that, especially so early in their career. 

In a perfect world he is a Guard. Just up to us being able to address that lovely OT position in the portal/juco 

• Fire 1
32 minutes ago, HS_Coach_C said:

Ya, I get this comment.  It's really more of a "set-up" ... this guy was a big problem all season long.

I've been told we are only 1-2 players away.  Thus, there is no one on the team that can overtake Corcoran.  That is a problem.  

So, as I said, if we aren't going to "train him up" and get an OL coach who is gonna do that ... then let's move and fix this.  We fired four coaches because we decided it was time to move on.  No, Turner isn't in the same camp as AM ... but Turner is just getting beat so bad ... and yet, it seems there is no "help" coming to him from a coach or a teammate.  Turner needs some help.  If not, he's gonna be the next AM.  

Frost continues to stay with AM regardless ... and so I'm just stating that Turner is a problem [not a solution], just like AM.  Let's see this and do something about it.  Either coach him up or move on.

For me, it all continues to show that we are not 1-2 players away.  Actually, we aren't ever 1-2 players away on the OL [as I see it].

7 hours ago, Vince R. said:

I agree but Payne, Tannor, Thomas, and Honas are not players you kick off. All are productive and can still develop further. All four get pressure too. We can’t afford to get rid of any of them. Clements plays on special teams and is moving up the depth chart. It’s the offensive line for me that needs to start letting guys go.  

A 3rd string 4th or 5th year player that knows the system and has been in the weight program that long will 9 times out of ten hold up better in big 10 play than a freshman/ sophomore 3rd string. This is why there is such a huge drop off between ones and twos and why we have to play injured players. We are missing these guys in the system. 

1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

A 3rd string 4th or 5th year player that knows the system and has been in the weight program that long will 9 times out of ten hold up better in big 10 play than a freshman/ sophomore 3rd string. This is why there is such a huge drop off between ones and twos and why we have to play injured players. We are missing these guys in the system. 

Yes.  Excellent. Agreed.

This is why I object to the idea that we are 1-2 players away.  Just within the OL, if Turner is the starter and no one can supplant him, then the level or depth of players behind him, even if they get in all the needed reps and years, we are woefully way, way behind. 

As I see it, if a "rebuild" takes 3-6 years, then what we have seen in the OL rebuild has been "off" thus far and further behind than other areas.  So, it won't really surprise me if the OL still has another 2-3 years before we can truly see if it has been rebuilt.  As I see it, then that means that it will take 6-9 years to see an OL system rebuilt here at Nebraska.  

I'm not debating anything here ... just pointing that out.  Which, for me means that our OL coaching has been horrific.  I do not think it would need to take this long.  Sadly, we are just coming to this "awakening" to do something about it. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedN said:

For me, I would move on from every punter and kicker.  I would also move on from Corcoran.  Perhaps he can be "trained up", yes, then get a good coach who can do that.  It's like Remember The Titans with that guy, he's just getting beat every play [put in Pete' ... he's better].  Ryan Gosling [thanks for the correction FunHusker] was the actor who played cornerback that said to play Pete' cause he couldn't compete against these guys.

To my unprofessional eye, he appears to have a body type better suited to play Guard. But irregardless of that, I know it's a small sample size, but when Prochaska came in to play LT and Turner slid over to RT, that made a huge difference. 

• Plus1 2
54 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

To my unprofessional eye, he appears to have a body type better suited to play Guard. But irregardless of that, I know it's a small sample size, but when Prochaska came in to play LT and Turner slid over to RT, that made a huge difference. 

Same here ... but that is the problem ... you and I with the "unprofessional eye" can see that while coaches who do this for a living can't figure that out!  :-)

7 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Same here ... but that is the problem ... you and I with the "unprofessional eye" can see that while coaches who do this for a living can't figure that out!  :-)

Scott Frost doesn't really believe two 5* players would be enough to turn this program around.

You can be upset that he's blowing smoke.  But to continually bash him for him supposedly not recognizing that accumulating talent at every single position is needed is getting old...

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd think we would want to be pretty careful about giving the boot to large number of players at the moment considering our recruiting class is currently ranked the lowest in the modern era of Husker football. And next year probably won't be much better considering going in NU will have had 5 straight loosing seasons, will be coming off a 3-5 win season, has a whole new offensive staff in place that may or may not be around for long and a HC that will still be very much on the hot seat. Considering most of the recruiting class is in place before the season starts that doesn't bode well for us and will leave us with 2 consecutive weak classes.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, funhusker said:

Scott Frost doesn't really believe two 5* players would be enough to turn this program around.

You can be upset that he's blowing smoke.  But to continually bash him for him supposedly not recognizing that accumulating talent at every single position is needed is getting old...

I'm not saying anything against his collection of OL talent.  I'm simply pointing out that Corcoran has been subpar at best ... and for whatever reason, Corcoran continues to get beat and remains impotent.  Yet, we are only 1-2 players away.  Again, we are a good 4-5 OL away in both the starters and backups ... and that's only one position.  

For me, Corcoran doesn't need to get older.  Ya, he was graded a 4-5* ... but if he was ... he isn't now.  Scott is still trying to figure out I guess where he should be played.  I've posted about this a lot this year.  The OL is much further behind in it's rebuild, mostly through development, secondly in missing out on recruiting.  As stated, we need another two studs in the OL again this year.  I don't see anyone of a starting caliber that will replace or fill in this deficiency.  As you stated, "Frost doesn't really believe two 5* players would be enough", yet, he hasn't attracted anything else nor developed really what he has.  Is that a "bash" ... sure ... but I'm not getting paid millions of dollars and I'm not the golden child getting a pass.  His "pass" has now been addressed ... but it sure would be nice getting the way he does under his performance.  It's different for me.  He's very fortunate.

13 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

I'm not saying anything against his collection of OL talent.  I'm simply pointing out that Corcoran has been subpar at best ... and for whatever reason, Corcoran continues to get beat and remains impotent.  Yet, we are only 1-2 players away.  Again, we are a good 4-5 OL away in both the starters and backups ... and that's only one position.  

For me, Corcoran doesn't need to get older.  Ya, he was graded a 4-5* ... but if he was ... he isn't now.  Scott is still trying to figure out I guess where he should be played.  I've posted about this a lot this year.  The OL is much further behind in it's rebuild, mostly through development, secondly in missing out on recruiting.  As stated, we need another two studs in the OL again this year.  I don't see anyone of a starting caliber that will replace or fill in this deficiency.  As you stated, "Frost doesn't really believe two 5* players would be enough", yet, he hasn't attracted anything else nor developed really what he has.  Is that a "bash" ... sure ... but I'm not getting paid millions of dollars and I'm not the golden child getting a pass.  His "pass" has now been addressed ... but it sure would be nice getting the way he does under his performance.  It's different for me.  He's very fortunate.

yawn....

See, it's making me tired :P

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

That's not necessarily the case. It's more likely the case that if they did move him in to Guard, they don't have anybody to play Tackle.

Exactly .... which then takes us to the silly excuse that we are only 1-2 players away.  We are not.  That may be true on the OL ... but not for the team.  There is still much work to be done in this rebuild.  I'll point to the record and firing most of the OL.  What was promised and expected has not occurred.  Thus, we are four years in and don't have a starting OT for that spot [and that's the point].  Personally, I don't get how folks conclude this as "bashing".  It's just a statement of fact and failure.

• Fire 1
6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

yawn....

See, it's making me tired :P

Ya, I get it.  Yawn for me as well.  

Trev choose to keep Frost.  So, that means as a board that we too begin to restate and rehash the problem.  I'd rather start talking about more "flash and dash" stuff.  Instead, we still have difficulty blocking and protecting.