What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

20 minutes ago, Undone said:

You're saying he hasn't?

This 2021 corps was possibly even better than the 2012 crew of Bell, Enunwa, & Turner.

He hasn't...It took him until his 3rd year to figure out what type of receiver he needs for the B1G.  The main receivers this year are all from the 2020 class.  His first 2 classes are busts with the exception of Wandale who ended up transferring.  

People bag on Riley and leaving a bare cupboard after his 3 years but Frost has been no different until this last class. 

• Plus1 2

28 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

He hasn't...It took him until his 3rd year to figure out what type of receiver he needs for the B1G.  The main receivers this year are all from the 2020 class.  His first 2 classes are busts with the exception of Wandale who ended up transferring.  

People bag on Riley and leaving a bare cupboard after his 3 years but Frost has been no different until this last class. 

"Frost was bad at recruiting wide receivers if you remove his good WR class" is definitely the best take.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
26 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I honestly think that 3rd to 5th round is Cam's draft ceiling, and if he's getting that grade now, he should think about going pro.  I don't know exactly, but I don't think there is a lot of $ difference in the rookie contract of a 2nd round pick (which would be his max in 1-2 years), but if he were able to get drafted, stick on a roster for a few years and get that 2nd contract, that's where his big $ will be.  Cam is already 22 years old (will turn 23 in August) so at some point his age will be a deterrent to some NFL teams.

I disagree that he is anywhere near his ceiling. Poor O line coaching and only playing the position for 3 years, sky is the limit with him. I understand if he decides to go, but if I am him I wait to hear what the new line coach brings to the table. With his Beef Jergy NIL flow, another year here lifting and putting out a$$ kicker film could very well net him quite a bit more money. From 4th to 2nd rounds is a large difference. 

6 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

For me, if I'm going to spend keyboard energy on Frost's recruiting then the gripe is going to be not landing more talented linemen in the first two classes. This is where we're really hurting heading into year 5.

I agree that 2020 definitely would have been better if there had been 2 or 3 "Zavier Betts" type guys that had been recruited in 2018 & 2019. Nothing to disagree with there.

But we're positioned just fine at WR for next year with Manning, Martin, Betts, & Brown.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

I disagree that he is anywhere near his ceiling. Poor O line coaching and only playing the position for 3 years, sky is the limit with him. I understand if he decides to go, but if I am him I wait to hear what the new line coach brings to the table. With his Beef Jergy NIL flow, another year here lifting and putting out a$$ kicker film could very well net him quite a bit more money. From 4th to 2nd rounds is a large difference. 

Going from 4th to 2nd round is worth about $4M over the life of a 4-year contract.  After taxes and agent fees, that would be a $2-2.5M difference over the life of the contract.  Is that worth risking by coming back for another year at NU?  I don't know if it is.  My point is given his injury history, I think it would be smarter to come out earlier, and that gets him to his 2nd contract (which is the big payday in the NFL) a year earlier, and more time earning that larger contract $.  I am sure Jurgens' NIL $ is decent for a college kid, but he's not making bank from it.

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Going from 4th to 2nd round is worth about $4M over the life of a 4-year contract.  After taxes and agent fees, that would be a $2-2.5M difference over the life of the contract.  Is that worth risking by coming back for another year at NU?  I don't know if it is.  My point is given his injury history, I think it would be smarter to come out earlier, and that gets him to his 2nd contract (which is the big payday in the NFL) a year earlier, and more time earning that larger contract $.  I am sure Jurgens' NIL $ is decent for a college kid, but he's not making bank from it.

Hasn't he been healthy the last two seasons?

• Plus1 1

For purposes of "conversational" advancement, a few definitions are in order today.  To be clear, Webster's is not historically known as a "defamatory" source of information.  

sarcasm definition - Sarcasm is the caustic use of irony, in which words are used to communicate the opposite of their surface meaning, in a humorous way

self deprecating definition - modest about or critical of oneself, especially humorously so.

straight shooter definition - an honest and forthright person

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, but NFL teams will still point to his feet and ankle history to knock him down in the draft.  Plus, if I was him, would I be thinking "I have been healthy for the past 2 years, will I be that fortunate for a 3rd year in a row in college?"

I think it will be a relatively minor concern for NFL teams. The doctors will be thorough and maybe something is there, but early career foot injuries while adding a lot of weight aren't massively concerning IMO. 

Now Deontai on the other hand went from a borderline late round guy/popular UDFA (I thought he covered pretty well and was a good tackler) to a camp invite only based on injuries. 

42 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

First, the original statement was about running backs and receivers. You had to try to cut that in half then discount examples that don't fit your narrative to try to make a point.

Second, the 2020 class was his second class. His first class was a bust at WR but since then it's been pretty promising.

If you're going to try to blame him for not salvaging Riley's last class in two weeks you're trying to hard.

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

For purposes of "conversational" advancement, a few definitions are in order today.  To be clear, Webster's is not historically known as a "defamatory" source of information.  

sarcasm definition - Sarcasm is the caustic use of irony, in which words are used to communicate the opposite of their surface meaning, in a humorous way

self deprecating definition - modest about or critical of oneself, especially humorously so.

straight shooter definition - an honest and forthright person

Just so we’re all on the same page and no feelings get hurt.