What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

7 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Is Vedral done? McCaffery, O'Brien? Don't have time to track where they all are. 

Vedral may have one more year available as he got the free COVID year in 2020.

Gebbia may have one more season available, but he didn't play at all for Oregon State this year.

McCaffrey has a lot of eligibility left, but didn't have a good season for Rice.  He may realize he's not a FBS QB and go join his dad at Northern Colorado.

O'Brien has gone from NU to CSU to Washington (where he didn't play much or at all this season), I think he's finally out of eligibility.

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

No what is the rule on transfers now?  Do all players who were enrolled during 2020 (covid) get one extra year plus immediate eligibility at the transfer to school?

2020 is treated as a free year of eligibility.  It basically added another year to anyone's "5-year clock" who was enrolled in the 2020-21 academic year.

Transfers are a different topic.  All players now have one "free" transfer with immediate eligibility at the new school.  Players can also use a "graduate transfer" where they can have immediate eligibility if they have received their undergraduate degree.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

What a relief.

It'll be interesting to see how well comments like this age a year from now.

I find it hard to believe that it'll be easy to just go out and find someone who is better than Martinez was this season. I don't think Smothers is that guy next year.

• Plus1 6
5 minutes ago, Undone said:

It'll be interesting to see how well comments like this age a year from now.

I find it hard to believe that it'll be easy to just go out and find someone who is better than Martinez was this season. I don't think Smothers is that guy next year.

You might be right, I could look like an idiot a year from now and reminiscing on what coulda been.

That being said, i didn't really see a drop off at all against iowa. Still moments the offense looked great, and long stretches it looked inept AF.    Not sold that smothers is the guy and that in and of itself is unsettling.

Probably near impossible to find a qb better than 2am in the portal knowing theres quite a few schools more attractive than us in the market for a qb.  

Still more concerned about fixing the OL and extension having a run game to lean on coupled with needed ST improvements.  If none of this is addressed positively it really doesnt matter who the qb is

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Probably near impossible to find a qb better than 2am in the portal knowing theres quite a few schools more attractive than us in the market for a qb.

I'm not trying to roast you, but why then did you originally say that the news was "a relief?"

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Undone said:

I'm not trying to roast you, but why then did you originally say that the news was "a relief?"

Well, partly due to I do crave a change of scenery at qb.  2AM great talent, but there's just something off between what this offense needs and what he's capable of from making the right read and delivering a consistent ball when it matters.  Not all on him, plenty thats broken with this team, but i just dont expect anything different results wise from him that we havent seen in 4 years, not even taking into account what he's gonna be post shoulder surgery.

Other part is at least we now know where he stands and he didnt drag this out.  I think we were raiding the transfer market regardless but perhaps this actually increases our odds of getting a difference maker to consider us knowing they dont have to beat out a 5 year incumbent starter

• Thanks 1
Just now, gossamorharpy said:

Well, partly due to I do crave a change of scenery at qb.  2AM great talent, but there's just something off between what this offense needs and what he's capable of from making the right read and delivering a consistent ball when it matters.  Not all on him, plenty thats broken with this team, but i just dont expect anything different results wise from him that we havent seen in 4 years, not even taking into account what he's gonna be post shoulder surgery.

Other part is at least we now know where he stands and he didnt drag this out.  I think we were raiding the transfer market regardless but perhaps this actually increases our odds of getting a difference maker to consider us knowing they dont have to beat out a 5 year incumbent starter

I agree with most of what you're saying.

Frost's scheme itself will be at its best with a QB that hits a guy in stride on the out routes & slants for big plays. The guy that knows just a split second after the ball hits his hands on the snap where he's going with a pass on designed passing plays.

McKenzie Milton was that guy. McKenzie couldn't run like Adrian, but it was really the passing that helped put up so many points on the board for UCF in 2017, IMO.

The weird part part for me about that whole thing is, supposedly the plan is to turn the reigns over to whoever the new OC is. So...does this new coach change the scheme?

Or is this talk of Frost putting significantly less emphasis on the offense just for show?

There's seriously so much stuff up in the air right now. Almost impossible to say whether we can sort through all of this chaos in a way that really could make us better on offense than the team that went 3-9 this season.

• Plus1 1