What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

4 minutes ago, Blackshirt_Simonsen said:

I had seen something about it a week or so ago but I can’t remember where and I’m gonna sound like one of those lame people who have “sources” but I’m close with someone who knows him personally and they said that’s the talk they’ve heard. Didn’t want to say it’s a forsure so i thought I’d ask if anyone else had heard anything. I can explain it in more detail if needed.

Interesting.  Hadn't heard anything yet.

22 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

if jurgens is leaving because martinez is leaving, then letting martinez leave was a huge mistake. jurgens would have been an all american center next year.

frost is going to have to work some serious magic in the transfer portal to have a chance of a winning season next year...

Disagree. Can’t be held hostage to make promises, especially after having been given so many opportunities. Just need to find and stick to an identity. Team isn’t far off, just need to pull it together and figure it out.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

The HC is the coach.  The players play - they don’t coach nor do they ever decide who plays where or when or how.  Players follow instructions and play their level best for the best interests of the team and its objectives.  If a player decides he knows better or his personal interests are more important than his teammate’s role, time for player to exit stage left.  Simple as that - no fuss no muss.  Not controversial.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 4
6 hours ago, BoSolich said:

if jurgens is leaving because martinez is leaving, then letting martinez leave was a huge mistake. jurgens would have been an all american center next year.

frost is going to have to work some serious magic in the transfer portal to have a chance of a winning season next year...

How do you make someone stay? 

it’s been speculated for a month, or more, Adrian would leave and about 50% of us were excited about that. 

And do we know any of this is true? Or are we bored and sad then 2021 is over? 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

7 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Time will tell…I hope you are right…so far two players are out and I believe more will follow. I just hope that what we get from the transfer portal is better than what we lose.

Well I would expect a healthy amount of attrition from the bottom of the depth chart. That’s the new era of college football. That said, after the player drama, if starters start entering the portal you might be right. 

• Plus1 2

A non-clutch, turnover prone QB coming off shoulder surgery that will likely keep him out of spring practice and maybe part of summer should not be demanding no competition for the starting spot.  Frost stuck by him more than any other coach would have. Frost's greatest failure was probably his loyalty to his coaching staff and QB for too long who weren't getting it done.  Maybe, Martinez will get better with better coaching if his shoulder heals fine whether it was Nebraska's new staff or another team's, but he needs competition. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

He's the least shocking guy to leave IMO. I never felt he was coming back for a 5th year

Oh yeah. For sure. We just had a massive talent drain so far this off-season. New offense. Probably average defense. New special teams. Yikes. Good luck Scott.

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, Decked said:

Might be the least talented team we’ve had since Scott got here. Granted this is pre portal. 

And look how well he did with his most talented.  Maybe Trev knew this.  Knew that there would be an arms race of coaching hires and NU was not in a position (or not the support to pursue ) to fire Frost and enter into this.  He got the buyout down.  Next year maybe less hot seats.  Frost goes 4-8 (5-7) and all the talking heads now say how bad NU is vs how close Frost has this team....  Next year we could be back to blowout losses.  Better be stalking the transfer portal.  Not to mention missing yet another 12-15 practices with no bowl game.