What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

1 minute ago, Decked said:

Expect a few DBs to move on. Offering more & more DBs for the 2022 class. Plus Hill. Somebody is moving out soon. 

Think Cerni is on his way out plus 1-2 DBs. 

I'm wondering if Javan Wright will be forced to retire with his blood clot issues. But, given all the DB's being recruited, I do expect another 1-2 DB's being nudged out the door. 

58 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

we're going to have around  6 players drafted on a team that won 3 games. really feels like this season was a huge wasted opportunity.

Definitely agree it was a wasted opportunity.

Optimistic tho its a potential preview of whats on the horizon.  As a progrum we've done some very dumb s#!t collectively over the past 6-8 years yet probably most concerning to me is the significant decline in talent we were placing in the draft.  Still a lot of room for improvement but 6 guys potentially drafted into the league that all play high demand positions in the NFL right now is promising.  Hopefully just the start of a trend like this that can continue to increase.

Definitely a shame we didnt stack more W's and take advantage of said talent

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I think Cam could have used another year.  He had a shot at being first rounder with one more year.  A year ago, he was struggling with snapping the ball. I'm sure he'll get drafted, but not near as high as if he stayed another year. Good luck to him.

It is a tough call.   He could improve his draft stock or he could suffer a major injury and set his stock way back.

2 hours ago, Bigred_inSD said:

It is a tough call.   He could improve his draft stock or he could suffer a major injury and set his stock way back.

Yea, but if you’re a higher pick, the team has more invested in you and will likely give you a better chance.  Late rounders and undrafted guys get a brief look but you may be being picked as a plan B or C cause the ones you really wanted were gone already.    Cam is very athletic but I tend to think NFL looks for size, strength, and technical skills PRIMARILY and his test scores can help but film action over 3 seasons will speak loudly.  Those gawd awful snaps that took years to ‘fix’ may haunt him. 

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Yea, but if you’re a higher pick, the team has more invested in you and will likely give you a better chance.  Late rounders and undrafted guys get a brief look but you may be being picked as a plan B or C cause the ones you really wanted were gone already.    Cam is very athletic but I tend to think NFL looks for size, strength, and technical skills PRIMARILY and his test scores can help but film action over 3 seasons will speak loudly.  Those gawd awful snaps that took years to ‘fix’ may haunt him. 

Or they will see a very coachable player who fixed his snapping issues in just his second year of playing the position. Also remember it took outside help to fix the issues as well.

Oh, just noticed you put fix in quotes so you don't believe he actually corrected his snaps.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, desertshox said:

Or they will see a very coachable player who fixed his snapping issues in just his second year of playing the position. Also remember it took outside help to fix the issues as well.

Oh, just noticed you put fix in quotes so you don't believe he actually corrected his snaps.

No.  Didn’t say that but if you’re an NFL team spending big bucks and precious draft picks on your billion dollars football team, the last thing you may decide to do is select a center with a short college career on a guy that 18 mos before had terrible snapping issues for an entire  season plus and questionable coaching, after being a h.s. TE that had injury issues and was under weight.  His superior athleticism helps but one good season (a couple snaps went awry I believe in ‘21) is not the same as a 3 year all conference starter imo.  

Again, he is a pretty good pro prospect but not any guaranteed pick.  

5 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

This is patently false on how NFL teams run and the NFL is the closest thing to a meritocracy that exists.  If you can play, they don't care where/how/when you got drafted.  I mean, sure that film might give teams a bit of a pause, then they'll put in this year's film and see zero snap issues and think, "Wow, this dude is a beast."

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

You also asked earlier ITT about draft history for the center position, I included that info as well:

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/c

• Plus1 1

We all like promotions.  I'm also sure that initial NFL contract is alluring.  If it was me being Cam and I had the issues I've had at the position, I would want another year to develop my skills and prove to myself that I know when I step into the pros that I am prepared and ready.  Obviously, he believes he has "arrived" or that it's not worth "enduring" being at Nebraska another year [the stock of :bigredn: has dropped in his mind].  Either way, he's a big boy.  He's free to be and do as he sees fit for him.  I'll appreciate his contributions for one year.  He really was more of a problem the other years as I see it.  Hopefully, Scott learns to not put as much into a player and as well has more consequences moving forward for underachieving players like Cam for most of his career.  Like AM, Cam was a sort of personal "golden boy" for Scott.  Neither of them really worked out to the degree he expected [as I see it].  Now, Scott seems "pissed" that Cam didn't stick it out for the "payoff" year.  I get Scott's frustration [if that is the reality].  Still, Cam is Cam and has Cam first in his mind.  Like the portal ... this is what everyone thinks is "great" about football and life.  We all get our free-will choice and the resulting consequences [but we also want every situation to turn our perfect for everyone involved].  Ha ha.

9 hours ago, admo said:

Good for CAM!  I mean, he committed to Head Coach Mike Riley in 2015,  and stuck it out through the coaching changes.  Hope he has a great pro career! :)

It's crazy to see what dedication in the weight room, and access to 6 to 7,000 calories a day, can do to transform someone. 

• Plus1 1