What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

10 minutes ago, Courtesy Flush said:

It sounds like the Huskerboard needs to step up and select our mascot. With all of the badasses in this message board, we should be able to help Jackson out with some NIL funds, right team!? 

Not saying Jackson doesn't deserve any NIL funds, but wouldn't Jackson be getting government assistance for college based on his military service. Isn't that what GI bills are used for?  I may be completely wrong on this, so if someone knows the answer, feel free to correct me. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Not saying Jackson doesn't deserve any NIL funds, but wouldn't Jackson be getting government assistance for college based on his military service. Isn't that what GI bills are used for?  I may be completely wrong on this, so if someone knows the answer, feel free to correct me. 

I used most of my Montgomery GI bill to pay for a bachelor’s and the rest + Post 9/11 bill to pay for my masters. I also went online to WGU for both. WGU is cheap. Nebraska, like most brick and mortar schools, is not. The GI bills will pay for a fraction of his tuition. 

Most importantly, it shouldn’t be in the conversation because he earned that s#!t. He earned it way more than I earned mine, and I worked my a$$ off during my enlistment.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Courtesy Flush said:

I used most of my Montgomery GI bill to pay for a bachelor’s and the rest + Post 9/11 bill to pay for my masters. I also went online to WGU for both. WGU is cheap. Nebraska, like most brick and mortar schools, is not. The GI bills will pay for a fraction of his tuition. 

Most importantly, it shouldn’t be in the conversation because he earned that s#!t. He earned it way more than I earned mine, and I worked my a$$ off during my enlistment.

Thanks for clarification on that and thank you for your service. 

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Courtesy Flush said:

+1000

16 hours ago, Red Five said:

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/2016-huskeronline-com-scholarship-distribution-chart

Rivals scholarship chart has us currently at 89, so we are going to have to shed at least 4 players, and more if we want to add a few more pieces from the portal.

There are a few seniors who are basically non-contributors that need to go (Chris Walker,  Damian Jackson, Eva Mauga-Clements) as well as guys who have been recruited over (Cerni).  But we still need to lose a few more.

Mauga-Clements and Damian Jackson both played on special teams in every game. 

Chris Walker I'll agree with, I think he plans to move on. 

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, Red Five said:

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/2016-huskeronline-com-scholarship-distribution-chart

Rivals scholarship chart has us currently at 89, so we are going to have to shed at least 4 players, and more if we want to add a few more pieces from the portal.

There are a few seniors who are basically non-contributors that need to go (Chris Walker,  Damian Jackson, Eva Mauga-Clements) as well as guys who have been recruited over (Cerni).  But we still need to lose a few more.

I don't think cutting a former navy seal after he received an award this year along with a story on ESPN is a great look for Nebraska. If they do this it's a huge mistake in the PR department nevermind it's the wrong thing to do with a guy like that. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

Mauga-Clements and Damian Jackson both played on special teams in every game. 

Keeping 2nd/3rd string seniors on on scholarship because they only play on special teams is a waste of a scholarship.

Put it this way, would you rather have Mauga-Clements and Jackson on scholarship or get an OL portal guy?

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Keeping 2nd/3rd string seniors on on scholarship because they only play on special teams is a waste of a scholarship.

Put it this way, would you rather have Mauga-Clements and Jackson on scholarship or get an OL portal guy?

I thought Big Ten scholarships are 4 year deals and really can’t be cut if player sticks with school and team. Maybe they only go 4 and 5th year is renewable?   Idk 

2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I thought Big Ten scholarships are 4 year deals and really can’t be cut if player sticks with school and team. Maybe they only go 4 and 5th year is renewable?   Idk 

Sounds like schollys are "guaranteed" until the graduate

All 14 of the Big Ten Conference's schools have agreed to generally guarantee that any athlete who receives an athletic scholarship will be able to keep that award until they graduate...  the conference said an athletic scholarship will not be reduced or canceled as long as the athlete "remains a member in good standing with the community, the university and the athletics department."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2014/10/08/big-ten-graduation-opportunity-guarantee/16945187/

With that said, there are ways to nudge guys out the door without cutting them outright.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Sounds like schollys are "guaranteed" until the graduate

All 14 of the Big Ten Conference's schools have agreed to generally guarantee that any athlete who receives an athletic scholarship will be able to keep that award until they graduate...  the conference said an athletic scholarship will not be reduced or canceled as long as the athlete "remains a member in good standing with the community, the university and the athletics department."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2014/10/08/big-ten-graduation-opportunity-guarantee/16945187/

With that said, there are ways to nudge guys out the door without cutting them outright.

How does that apply to guys who were originally walk-ons, and given a scholarship for a semester or two based on available numbers?  I believe those guys aren't assured of having their scholarships renewed each semester/year.

13 minutes ago, theknife said:

Keep in mind, some of the former walk ons are awarded scholarships on a semester basis. So with that and the addition of natural attrition, I think there is more spots than currently shown. 

The only former walk-ons on the 89 (by my eye) are Yant, Nouili, Hixon, Riemer, and Jackson.  All of those guys but one started at least one game this past season.  I don't see pulling a scholarship from guys who are starters.

• Plus1 1