What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

2 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Losing Ho'ohuli sucks, but at least it's a position with quite a bit of young talent - I like Gbayor and Kpai. Never good to lose your top rated recruits though, and a Hawaii connection is always fun. Maybe Raiola can get us back in there, seems like there's always a few really solid players from Hawaii. 

Personally, I think we need to stop chasing how we can get into the Samoan recruiting.  Sure, keep offering and if one acts interested, go after him.  But, we have had so few Samoan players come here and contribute, that I think it's a waste of time to make major decisions based on trying to recruit them.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Personally, I think we need to stop chasing how we can get into the Samoan recruiting.  Sure, keep offering and if one acts interested, go after him.  But, we have had so few Samoan players come here and contribute, that I think it's a waste of time to make major decisions based on trying to recruit them.

It’s also a waste of time worrying about someone who never stepped foot on the field. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I get that some schools have a strong Polynesian pipeline, but I think that happens for a number of reasons.  First, it has to help if the school is in a city with a decent Polynesian population or is easy to travel to for family.  BYU and Utah get a number of Polynesians because Mormons have done so much outreach and missions to those areas.  Other schools on the West Coast are easier to recruit to that area because it's not ridiculous travel like it could be to the Midwest or East Coast.  I also think that Polynesians would have a hard time adjusting to Lincoln because it's so different than the culture they are used to, and now they don't have a coach who can help them relate.  While Polynesians can end up being great players, I think it would be very challenging to get them to come to Lincoln (and stay) on a regular basis.

• Plus1 3
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I get that some schools have a strong Polynesian pipeline, but I think that happens for a number of reasons.  First, it has to help if the school is in a city with a decent Polynesian population or is easy to travel to for family.  BYU and Utah get a number of Polynesians because Mormons have done so much outreach and missions to those areas.  Other schools on the West Coast are easier to recruit to that area because it's not ridiculous travel like it could be to the Midwest or East Coast.  I also think that Polynesians would have a hard time adjusting to Lincoln because it's so different than the culture they are used to, and now they don't have a coach who can help them relate.  While Polynesians can end up being great players, I think it would be very challenging to get them to come to Lincoln (and stay) on a regular basis.

Hawaiians LOVE Creighton. But that’s for education. 

• Plus1 1

46 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

According to this site, it shows 24 Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders at Creighton.  I suppose some could be in the 2 or more races, that's still a minor percentage of the student population.

https://www.collegetuitioncompare.com/edu/181002/creighton-university/enrollment/

I’m taking personal accounts from my buddy I grew up with in the PNW and his cousins and uncles, plus the random kid I golfed with and what they’ve expressed to me. For a small city private cold winter school in the middle of the states, Creighton has a good name for itself in the Hawaiian circles. 

• Plus1 1