What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

5 hours ago, The Dude said:

In what way is Thompson cocky?  Have any examples?

Well…..well…..he came here from Texas and his dad (a cocky OU player) beat Nebraska and and he was cocky enough to use the portal and….that’s about it.

Some people are just never happy.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

And why are you concerned?  If we are going to bring in portal players, some have to leave. 

We haven’t brought in a single transfer LB.

4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Exactly. Can't praise the transfer portal one day and then bemoan when guys leave NU in the transfer portal the next. 

It is a critique of the leader in the room. I love the transfer portal. Seems to work well for the Mickey Joseph and Travis Fishers of the world.

edit: I’ll throw in Tony Tuioti too, he loves the transfer portal.

• Plus1 1

Nothing wrong with self confidence as long as you back it up with performance.  Admit any errors and accept responsibility for your role in the team.  Embrace and lead with words that match your action. Advise and expect others around you to follow with like confidence.  

Express and exude faith in the plan and give your teammates support and encouragement every time possible.  Know what you can do and then do it.  Dont try to do things you are not supposed to do.  Do your part - not somebody else’s.  
Don’t brag after the fact: the success will beget all the credit and then some.  Never take credit you do not deserve. 
Do the work. Do your best.  Never stop trying to get better.  Have faith in the team.  Expect to be successful by being prepared.  Be disappointed but not discouraged by any lack of success and resolve to always do better. 

Commit yourself to the team and it’s mission.  Lead by example.  Always remember it is a team and only the team as a unit can be successful.  

These ideas will help any player or coach do his or her best.  That is all that is needed and bo more should be expected.   Fans could do well to think and act similarly.  

Always be a good sport and rightfully expect your opponent will reciprocate.  Win or lose honorably.  

Nobody will be perfect and mistakes will happen but repeating them shows a lack of focus and desire to better and failure to do your part responsibly.  That is not being a good teammate.  A team is more than the sum of its individual parts and can achieve far more than many expect when all its members do their part.  

56 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

It is a critique of the leader in the room. I love the transfer portal. Seems to work well for the Mickey Joseph and Travis Fishers of the world.

edit: I’ll throw in Tony Tuioti too, he loves the transfer portal.

Which LB coach are you criticizing, as the LB's are split across 2 coaches? 

I get that transfers suck, especially after recruits have been brought in and haven't done much.  Jackson Hannah was never going to do anything for NU (he couldn't put on any size and muscle), Honas is a 7th year ILB with 2 bad knees, and Ho'olli wasn't making any progress at OLB.  It would be nice if NU were able to add quality depth, but I don't know if these guys were going to do it for NU anytime soon. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Nothing wrong with self confidence as long as you back it up with performance.  Admit any errors and accept responsibility for your role in the team.  Embrace and lead with words that match your action. Advise and expect others around you to follow with like confidence.  

Express and exude faith in the plan and give your teammates support and encouragement every time possible.  Know what you can do and then do it.  Dont try to do things you are not supposed to do.  Do your part - not somebody else’s.  
Don’t brag after the fact: the success will beget all the credit and then some.  Never take credit you do not deserve. 
Do the work. Do your best.  Never stop trying to get better.  Have faith in the team.  Expect to be successful by being prepared.  Be disappointed but not discouraged by any lack of success and resolve to always do better. 

Commit yourself to the team and it’s mission.  Lead by example.  Always remember it is a team and only the team as a unit can be successful.  

These ideas will help any player or coach do his or her best.  That is all that is needed and bo more should be expected.   Fans could do well to think and act similarly.  

Always be a good sport and rightfully expect your opponent will reciprocate.  Win or lose honorably.  

Nobody will be perfect and mistakes will happen but repeating them shows a lack of focus and desire to better and failure to do your part responsibly.  That is not being a good teammate.  A team is more than the sum of its individual parts and can achieve far more than many expect when all its members do their part.  

You have valid examples. Can anyone give specific examples of how or when Casey Thompson has neglected these? The point was CT was too cocky

2 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Looks like someone googled "things the coaches say to their players which the players just ignore". 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
9 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand what you are saying but you love to throw out these sayings and long posts like you are an expert.  It gets old. 

One thing that does get old is the snide and sometimes rude replies by a few members.  I will defend from direct ‘drive by’ attacks but I try never to shoot first.

If you don’t agree with my views, fine.  If their too long - don’t read em - I don’t expect very many to even bother by now.  Now and then I get some positive response or even constructive contrary debate.  All great to me.

Law school trains the mind to look at things from both (or many) sides and be able to argue for or against any with equal vigor.  Not always do I have a preference or side as both have some merit - playing devil’s advocate helps educate and inform. Socratic method does work and can be fun for some.

I never claim to be an expert on any topic on the board, but I have a lifetime of learning and experience from which to base my views.  I generally caution against speculation and unfounded gossip, especially about players’ character and academics.  Those get personal and can be hurtful for no good reason.

But play on the field - in front of thousands of eye and ear witnesses?  That’s fair game in my view and one may get hundreds of different arm chair ‘expert’ opinions.  Let the testimony be brought forth and then let the jury decide. 

• Thanks 1