What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

20 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Which LB coach are you criticizing, as the LB's are split across 2 coaches? 

I get that transfers suck, especially after recruits have been brought in and haven't done much.  Jackson Hannah was never going to do anything for NU (he couldn't put on any size and muscle), Honas is a 7th year ILB with 2 bad knees, and Ho'olli wasn't making any progress at OLB.  It would be nice if NU were able to add quality depth, but I don't know if these guys were going to do it for NU anytime soon. 

Update - Will Honas was so confident in his LB room he’d rather walk on at KState.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Atbone95 said:

Update - Will Honas was so confident in his LB room he’d rather walk on at KState.

Or there were 2 returning starters who played 80% of the snaps last year, and the coaches would prefer to get other younger guys into the rotation.  I think it was Frost and Ruud pushing Honas out the door to free up his scholarship, than Honas saying "this LB room sucks". Who really cares?

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Cdn Blackshirt Two said:

Just watching the transfers out at LB and transfer priorities in on the DL, I'm really thinking we may be playing more 4-3 & 4-2-5 next season.... 

We've played what basically amounts to a 4-3 since this staff got here and played a ton of 4-2-5 last year.  I don't think much will be changing schematically.

• Plus1 3

On 1/22/2022 at 8:21 AM, Decked said:

And that’s fine. Time to operate like a big boy program. Fisher said it best. We’re trying to bring in someone better than you every year. 

I agree fully. The days of waiting 4 or 5 years for a high school athlete to mature and blossom are nearly over. Nowadays the thinking is find a guy with one or two years left and plug them in.

3 hours ago, theknife said:

Honas was likely 4th on the depth chart at ILB heading into Spring. He’s walking on somewhere he has a better chance to play/start. 

Also Manhattan is closer to Wichita than Lincoln. I really hoped Honas would be a big time player at Nebraska but that hasn't been the case. He has a better shot at KSU

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
On 1/23/2022 at 2:16 PM, Mavric said:

We've played what basically amounts to a 4-3 since this staff got here and played a ton of 4-2-5 last year.  I don't think much will be changing schematically.

I could be wrong, but although the alignment regularly looked like a 4-3, they often were using 240lbs OLB's at RE. 

So yes it was technically a 4-man alignment, it was composed of only 2 DL and 2 OLB's. 

Based on the transfer portal moves, I'm thinking they may continue with the 4-3 alignment but more often instead of using OLB's have those RE positions played by significantly larger DL players.  One tell will be what weight we see Garrett Nelson and Caleb Tannor arrive at for the Spring Game.

• Plus1 1