What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

59 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

That's why I will side with the coaches decision.

As one who has been blasted for speaking negatively about the OL over the years, I see the change of coaches really across the board on offense as the "sign" that at least Trev got it.  Coaching has been a big problem. 

I'm am willing to "side with the coaches decision".  Hopefully, Trev will keep more accountability in this next 1-2 years.

6 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

As one who has been blasted for speaking negatively about the OL over the years, I see the change of coaches really across the board on offense as the "sign" that at least Trev got it.  Coaching has been a big problem. 

I'm am willing to "side with the coaches decision".  Hopefully, Trev will keep more accountability in this next 1-2 years.

Not as much the o-line, but the OL coach for lack of development.  Def. Side has shown development.  

• Plus1 1
40 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We had actually been making steady improvement on the OL for three years.  Not sure why it totally fell off a cliff last year.

Terrible development for guys they had to scout & bring to the program. Lucked out on Jurgens. The worst tackle play in the big ten this year killed the OL. And trying to start Ethan Piper. It was however a drastic nosedive. 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, Decked said:

Terrible development for guys they had to scout & bring to the program. Lucked out on Jurgens. The worst tackle play in the big ten this year killed the OL. And trying to start Ethan Piper. It was however a drastic nosedive. 

Injuries as well.  And having to move guys back into starting roles or new spots.

I did read where Fidone had mentioned using a lot more 12 personnel than last year.  Having an additional big body on the OL should help.  Hopefully see more TE's in the end zone when we are in the red zone.  Maybe even one as a H-Back.  A man can dream......Gotta like the "potential" and the limited comments coming out.  

2 hours ago, Decked said:

Eh, it's pretty self-serving to claim they "lucked out" on a guy who wasn't even in the OL room when they got here and they turned him into an NFL Draft pick.

They were a little handicapped by Riley not leaving them anything in the 2018 class.  And even the 2017 class gets weak pretty fast once Jaimes left early.

Then the 2019 class looks like it might be a complete bust if Benhart can't get it figured out.  But it also has the chance to work out OK if Benhart and Piper get it together.  

Since then, it looks more promising, it just takes guys Prochazka looks to be legit and I think Lutovsky will be in the mix this year.  If Corcoran comes around that will be a pretty good group from 2020 & 2021.  Those guys are still pretty young for B1G linemen.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

Eh, it's pretty self-serving to claim they "lucked out" on a guy who wasn't even in the OL room when they got here and they turned him into an NFL Draft pick.

They were a little handicapped by Riley not leaving them anything in the 2018 class.  And even the 2017 class gets weak pretty fast once Jaimes left early.

Then the 2019 class looks like it might be a complete bust if Benhart can't get it figured out.  But it also has the chance to work out OK if Benhart and Piper get it together.  

Since then, it looks more promising, it just takes guys Prochazka looks to be legit and I think Lutovsky will be in the mix this year.  If Corcoran comes around that will be a pretty good group from 2020 & 2021.  Those guys are still pretty young for B1G linemen.

I'd like to think (hope) that we have hit bottom and that the only way is up.  I'd also like to think that the decision to alter the O staff was not on Frost alone, but possibly consulting others outside and inside the program.  Hoping that is was not a knee jerk reaction, but a thought out decision.  One I completely agreed with, buy I'm a fan that can make decisions  based solely on emotion.  I think the new staff is lite years ahead based on previous stops/reputation and/or potential and we should perform better.

Here's to next week.

22 minutes ago, lo country said:

I'd like to think (hope) that we have hit bottom and that the only way is up.  I'd also like to think that the decision to alter the O staff was not on Frost alone, but possibly consulting others outside and inside the program.  Hoping that is was not a knee jerk reaction, but a thought out decision.  One I completely agreed with, buy I'm a fan that can make decisions  based solely on emotion.  I think the new staff is lite years ahead based on previous stops/reputation and/or potential and we should perform better.

Here's to next week.

There were individuals on the offense who had more career starts than the collection of OL combined - prior to the Illinois game. That should never happen. That’s a combination of previous staff and current staff while the current staff rightfully deserves the heat. 

• Plus1 2

After so many losses and losing seasons, and four seasons under basically the same staff, the biggest disappointments to me are the accumulated talent with a fairly strong recruiting emphasis and, according to the gurus if they’re to be believed, good recruiting success, we have very little returning experienced depth.   Going into year 5, we are starting from scratch in far too many places, once again.  

No significant game experience for kickers, kick returners, center, QB, most of the RBs even though we played a committee of those, and the offense staff is new with no previous time together as a unit. 

Defense is better in this regard but we will have less experience behind the starters in several spots. Injuries to key spots could be very problematic at a minimum.  

It’s tough, apparently, to keep young, green talent long enough to mature, develop and teach them and gradually expose them to game action, when so many fail to stick around long enough.  Who knows whether their departures were the players’ choices more than the coaches.  But maybe it doesn’t really make much difference. In the end we keep brining in decent (3 to low 4 star calibers) guys to replace similar types.  But each new bunch is yet another class of raw recruits that need physical and mental improvements that take time.  We seem to be 2-3 years away - even after 4 years of the Frost program.  

i believe Frost has a system and program in his mind - a plan if you will. But unforeseen bumps and glitches keep forestalling that plan.  I believe he underestimated the strength and capability of the Big Ten to defend his offensive schemes, and he overestimated his own capabilities to recruit and assemble a Big Ten caliber team.  He all but ignored special teams until he grudgingly admitted they are vital to success. This we all know really hurt the team nearly every game.  That’s just shockingly hard to understand really. 

He failed to recognize repetitive issues with the RBs, WRs, O line and yes, his lone QB.  Perhaps he felt all these problems ‘were close’ to fixing themselves but none really did.  The losses continued, despite his team playing with good effort and determination.  Far too many penalties and other basic football fundamentals errors - season after season - game after game.  His team lost more games than our opponents won essentially.  That is by definition coaching failures more than talent deficiencies although inadequate talent on the line of scrimmage and in the LB group (at times), didn’t help.  That goes back to recruiting balance across the whole team.  

The good news, hopefully, is each and every one of these issues have been seriously addressed so that going forward, a better team will be the result.  It’s sad it took so long, but it is happening.  Powers and minds behind the HC throne have counseled Frost and steered him on the right path.  Still a handful of key players to find and or develop or emerge from the ranks , but 2022 SHOULD be much better organized, balanced and less error prone.  That equals more wins.    Even this has its concerns and provisos:  can this all new staff gel and will minds meet :

(Frost=Whip=Joseph=Raiola=Beckton=Applewhite)

Thats a whole lotta new and little continuity with so many new starters, transfers, etc.  None are rookie coaches but there will be some challenges until a complete meeting of the minds happens.  Does Frost have an open mind to different ideas, schemes, techniques, strategies, etc?   Do the other coaches appreciate and respect a younger boss with a choppy track record of success?   We will know by Oct 1.  

• Plus1 3

13 hours ago, Mavric said:

??  Id like to think that a good HC and position coach would have seen and Identified a weak OL room up front and not had to wait 6 yrs to address it...  

3 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

??  Id like to think that a good HC and position coach would have seen and Identified a weak OL room up front and not had to wait 6 yrs to address it...  

They didn't.

Not to mention the part where they haven't even been here six years.  But good attempt at making things seems much worse than they are.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
33 minutes ago, Mavric said:

They didn't.

Not to mention the part where they haven't even been here six years.  But good attempt at making things seems much worse than they are.

Four years of losing are pretty bad.  Unsure anything can be "much worse".  I guess getting blown out in our losses would enter the much worse category.  I'm just sick of the losses.  Hate that it took 4 years to realize the O was stuck in neutral.  Glad changes were made and hoping it makes the difference and Frost turns the corner and becomes the HC we all hoped he would be.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

Four years of losing are pretty bad.  Unsure anything can be "much worse".  I guess getting blown out in our losses would enter the much worse category.  I'm just sick of the losses.  Hate that it took 4 years to realize the O was stuck in neutral.  Glad changes were made and hoping it makes the difference and Frost turns the corner and becomes the HC we all hoped he would be.  

There is plenty to complain about.  Not sure why people need to resort to exaggerating things that are obviously false.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1