BIG ERN

2 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

Really..??

Yes, really.

Per Football Outsiders, for the years 2017 - 2018 - 2019 - 2020 - 2021

Line Yards: N/A - 2.78 - 2.43 - 2.79 - 2.66

Opportunity Rate: 33.8% - 53.8% - 48.2% - 54.3% - 48.5%

Power Success Rate: 75.0% - 68.8% - 78.1% - 78.3% - 65.5%

All those numbers were at their highest point in 2020.  All were up from 2019 to 2020.  Then they tanked in 2021.  Not really sure why.

54 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There is plenty to complain about.  Not sure why people need to resort to exaggerating things that are obviously false.

Truth.  I think the original poster stating 6 years of OL woes was more in reference to a long standing concern.  Not trying to say it was Frost's show for 6 years.  IMO, the 2018 OL might have been Frosts best since he has been here.  Ironically with Pelini/Riley guys.  

Didn't see your post above before I posted.  What is success rate and opportunity rate?  Tried to fond it with limited success.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, lo country said:

Truth.  I think the original poster stating 6 years of OL woes was more in reference to a long standing concern.  Not trying to say it was Frost's show for 6 years.  IMO, the 2018 OL might have been Frosts best since he has been here.  Ironically with Pelini/Riley guys.  

I think it's pretty clear that he was only talking about Frost and staff.  Otherwise it doesn't make sense to talk about waiting six years to address it.

Part of the reason the OL has been an issue is because Riley did a pretty poor job recruiting it.  When Frost got here, there were 11 OL on scholarship.  Three of those guys were recruited by Pelini (one a walk-on originally).  The only guys that Riley recruited that contributed are Jaimes and Farniok.  Sichterman might still.  Three guys in 3/4 years was a large hole to dig out of.

Didn't see your post above before I posted.  What is success rate and opportunity rate?  Tried to fond it with limited success.

Line Yards per Carry: For 2018, we are experimenting with a new definition for college line yardage based on film study and generalization. Instead of the ALY figure FO used for the NFL, this one is tighter: the line gets credit for rushing yardage between 0-3 yards (instead of 0-4) and 50% credit for yards 4-8 (instead of 5-10). Anything over 8 yards is quantified as a highlight opportunity, and credit goes to the runner. As with the pro definition, lost yardage still counts for 125%. (Garbage time is filtered out for all line yardage averages.)

Opportunity Rate: The percentage of carries (when four yards are available) that gain at least four yards, i.e. the percentage of carries in which the line does its job, so to speak.

Power Success Rate: This is the same as on the NFL side -- percentage of runs on third or fourth down, two yards or less to go, that achieved a first down or touchdown.

Link

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think it's pretty clear that he was only talking about Frost and staff.  Otherwise it doesn't make sense to talk about waiting six years to address it.

Part of the reason the OL has been an issue is because Riley did a pretty poor job recruiting it.  When Frost got here, there were 11 OL on scholarship.  Three of those guys were recruited by Pelini (one a walk-on originally).  The only guys that Riley recruited that contributed are Jaimes and Farniok.  Sichterman might still.  Three guys in 3/4 years was a large hole to dig out of.

Link

Thanks

11 hours ago, Mavric said:

Link

How is Sichterman going to contribute when he retired from football? 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

20 hours ago, Mavric said:

They didn't.

Not to mention the part where they haven't even been here six years.  But good attempt at making things seems much worse than they are.

LOL... how cute...  way to cherry pick...  I was refering to YOUR post that mentioned riley and the 2017-2018 recruites... never once did I say HCSF or this coaching staff...

17 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yes, really.

Per Football Outsiders, for the years 2017 - 2018 - 2019 - 2020 - 2021

Line Yards: N/A - 2.78 - 2.43 - 2.79 - 2.66

Opportunity Rate: 33.8% - 53.8% - 48.2% - 54.3% - 48.5%

Power Success Rate: 75.0% - 68.8% - 78.1% - 78.3% - 65.5%

All those numbers were at their highest point in 2020.  All were up from 2019 to 2020.  Then they tanked in 2021.  Not really sure why.

More cherry picking... ALSO from Outsiders

Offensive ranking nationally per yr

2021 - 115th

2020 - 87th

2019 - 45th

2018 - 63rd  - Scott Frost

2017 - 12th  

2016 -18th

2015 - 6th

They "tanked" in 2018.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

More cherry picking... ALSO from Outsiders

Offensive ranking nationally per yr

2021 - 115th

2020 - 87th

2019 - 45th

2018 - 63rd  - Scott Frost

2017 - 12th  

2016 -18th

2015 - 6th

They "tanked" in 2018.

OF+ (The offensive component of their overall F+ ranking) has us at 63rd in 2017. Then 42nd, 53rd, 54th, and finally 30th under Frost. So just curious what stat this is - is it OL specific? I will admit by the eye test (which I don't like using), I wouldn't guess the OL had been improving. But it wasn't really atrocious until 2021, and I think they've recruited it pretty well made a change to the coach when things got worse. Not sure what else they should be doing.

Austin certainly wasn't the best performing assistant the first 3 years but I don't see reason to have fired him prior to this year. Going into the year he had 2 highly touted Tackles who gained some good experience in 2020, and an elite athlete at Center who was really coming into his own. Guard was a question mark but you figure he'd be able to find a couple of those. It was definitely the right move to part ways, but I think saying it was easily justifiable earlier is just hindsight. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

OF+ (The offensive component of their overall F+ ranking) has us at 63rd in 2017. Then 42nd, 53rd, 54th, and finally 30th under Frost. So just curious what stat this is - is it OL specific? I will admit by the eye test (which I don't like using), I wouldn't guess the OL had been improving. But it wasn't really atrocious until 2021, and I think they've recruited it pretty well made a change to the coach when things got worse. Not sure what else they should be doing.

Austin certainly wasn't the best performing assistant the first 3 years but I don't see reason to have fired him prior to this year. Going into the year he had 2 highly touted Tackles who gained some good experience in 2020, and an elite athlete at Center who was really coming into his own. Guard was a question mark but you figure he'd be able to find a couple of those. It was definitely the right move to part ways, but I think saying it was easily justifiable earlier is just hindsight. 

yes this is OL specific..  Year end ranking nationally..  My bad for not labeling it properly..

3 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

LOL... how cute...  way to cherry pick...  I was refering to YOUR post that mentioned riley and the 2017-2018 recruites... never once did I say HCSF or this coaching staff...

Good try to backtrack.  There isn't any way they could "wait six years to fix it" unless they've been here six years.  

• Plus1 1