What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

How many ready to start guys that are actually better than last year’s backups are left in the transfer pool at this point?   There’s numbers but I’m thinking they’re pretty much picked over by now.  I would be very careful and extra choosy.  No sense in using limited remaining spots for more 3rd and 4th stringers - we have enough of those apparently!   I’m not as negative on the roster as some on this board who think the cupboard is totally bare.  

of course you’d love about 20 more 4 + star guys swapped out for the bottom of the roster but that is not happening before they win about 9 games a couple years in a row.  Still a 3-4 years long building process.  Sadly we squandered a couple years in the Frost experience.  A lot more patience is required.   Season 5 is a watershed time certainly.  Really gonna need Whipple’s magic to find about 8-10 points a game more scoring and Chin to get some critical stops at key times in half the games.  STs MUST contribute positively with a few big returns and a dozen more FGs made.  

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, lo country said:

Honest question ref DL.  Was/is Tony Tuioti a better DL coach than current Mike Dawson.  Maybe some of the drop off isn't "talent", but "coaching".  Thoughts?

Imo Dawson is likely the best asst on the entire staff but ??   Who knows really.  That’s Frost’s job to figure out.  Obviously Trev and the overseers didn’t see a need to change him.  Tuioti got a good job elsewhere so he was not too bad either.  

I frankly feel good about the entire crew of assistants.  Are they great?  Probably not but they are not that bad.  It has been overall team organization and talent retention and development and STs coordination largely.  Those are on the HC’s desk imo.  I think he’s learning on the job and apparently he’s getting some advice from ‘on high’ somewhere.  Perhaps he didn’t listen soon enough or maybe nobody took the initiative to steer him before.  But I really feel better with the changes the past 4 months.  
Are we there yet?  No!   But we have turned around and headed in the general direction anyway.  

8 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I frankly feel good about the entire crew of assistants.  Are they great?  Probably not but they are not that bad.  It has been overall team organization and talent retention and development and STs coordination largely.  Those are on the HC’s desk imo.  I think he’s learning on the job and apparently he’s getting some advice from ‘on high’ somewhere.  Perhaps he didn’t listen soon enough or maybe nobody took the initiative to steer him before.  But I really feel better with the changes the past 4 months.  
Are we there yet?  No!   But we have turned around and headed in the general direction anyway.  

I don't disagree, but I would add talent acquisition to the list as well. Nebraska is simply not as talented as the top teams in the conference. 

As far as the roster, I think there could be quite a few departures. A few of the young WRs, OL, etc. will probably not the portal. I can see the roster sitting at 80 or so by the time we get to fall. I'd imagine they look at the portal over the summer and add a piece or two.

This is also my plug to suggest the NCAA lower scholarship limits by 10 or so.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Honest question ref DL.  Was/is Tony Tuioti a better DL coach than current Mike Dawson.  Maybe some of the drop off isn't "talent", but "coaching".  Thoughts?

Maybe. But Tuioti left the room very bare. Keith Williams of the DL. Good on the field coach. Bad recruiter that gets left in the dust at signing day. West coast ties dried up here 

8 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I don't disagree, but I would add talent acquisition to the list as well. Nebraska is simply not as talented as the top teams in the conference. 

As far as the roster, I think there could be quite a few departures. A few of the young WRs, OL, etc. will probably not the portal. I can see the roster sitting at 80 or so by the time we get to fall. I'd imagine they look at the portal over the summer and add a piece or two.

This is also my plug to suggest the NCAA lower scholarship limits by 10 or so.

Hm?   I’d raise the number to 100.   I’d cap the walkons at 40 - for total roster max at anytime at 140.  I’d limit transfer portal to third year players and above.  I’d have no annual limit on scholarships.   I’d eliminate the Feb signing date for h.s. players.  Feb date only for transfers and jucos.  I’d make all scholarships ‘renewable’ for third year players and up.  I’d allow unlimited visits on campus and 3 ‘in home’.  I’d cap the signing bonus $$ at $25,000 and make all other NIL ‘pay for play’.  This applies to all players - scholarship and walkons (thru graduation) and require all contracts be public info.   They are state employees after all. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Hm?   I’d raise the number to 100.   I’d cap the walkons at 40 - for total roster max at anytime at 140.  I’d limit transfer portal to third year players and above.  I’d have no annual limit on scholarships.   I’d eliminate the Feb signing date for h.s. players.  Feb date only for transfers and jucos.  I’d make all scholarships ‘renewable’ for third year players and up.  I’d allow unlimited visits on campus and 3 ‘in home’.  I’d cap the signing bonus $$ at $25,000 and make all other NIL ‘pay for play’.  This applies to all players - scholarship and walkons (thru graduation) and require all contracts be public info.   They are state employees after all. 

NIL does not come from the school.  So, the NCAA and school don't have any control anymore over amount and if they are disclosed.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

NIL does not come from the school.  So, the NCAA and school don't have any control anymore over amount and if they are disclosed.

No. It doesn’t but it can.  I’d require all NIL terms be disclosed to be eligible to play.  NCAA and schools can require it.  

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Huskers34 said:

Chubba will be gone after 2022. Going to be 3rd on the DC. 

Thompson only has one more year after this season, so maybe if Smothers is still here and clearly ahead of him then possibly but I would say it's a little early to say that's a foregone conclusion.

34 minutes ago, Farms said:

Thompson only has one more year after this season, so maybe if Smothers is still here and clearly ahead of him then possibly but I would say it's a little early to say that's a foregone conclusion.

Agreed. Chubba has also been dealing with a nagging Injury. Would be surprised if he hits the portal again.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Torres or Haarberg though

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why?

3 hours ago, Red Five said:

I would guess to spread out the talent.

@Red Five is correct. The issue with CFB is extreme talent consolidation among the top 7 or so programs in the country. Reducing the scholarship limit by 10 means Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia. etc. can't hoard as much talent. Nearly their entire class is rated 4*s or higher each year. Reducing the scholarship numbers hopefully means more of those players will be spread among the rest of the teams.

I don't know how much this benefits Nebraska, because we're not that high on the lists of most of those kids anyway, but it would help the competitiveness CFB is lacking by giving more talent to the next crop of teams like Michigan, Miami, Oregon, etc. The biggest argument against is that the talent gap is still so significant it wouldn't help close the gap between the Oregon's and the Georgia's enough anyway.

And, let's be honest, programs like Nebraska don't recruit enough talented kids to fill out 85 scholarships anyway. Each of our recruiting classes contain a few "projects" that we gamble on, hoping they turn into solid players. 

• Plus1 1