What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

14 hours ago, Huskinator said:

Are you new here?  This boards full of chicken littles just waiting for the sky to fall. I honestly think some hope we rank the season so frost is fired.  It’s pathetic. 

We aren't chicken littles. The sky fell a long time ago, especially last year when we went THREE AND NINE. No bowl game for 5, mostly likely 6 years in a row now? Yeah, the sky is a quaint, distant memory.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
14 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

What’s to say he isn’t trying to make more money? Everyone here seems to know NUs depth issues, why wouldn’t he too? And why not profit more off of that factor by floating the transfer portal. 

In case there was any doubt that is what he's doing, Butler erased it.  But, renegotiating with NU doesn't appear to be the likely motivation.  Nothing divides an NFL locker room more than guys getting paid while others aren't. Now we seeing it trickle down to the college level.  Live by the sword...

On another note, is Jackson Bratton leaving Bama and not considering NU foreshadowing for Logan Smothers?  

17 hours ago, Decked said:

It’s a problem because we have terrible depth & mediocre starters. We lost almost everyone worth a crap minus Ty. 

And you guys are acting like no one will improve and everybody's just going to play exactly like they did last year, when we've seen defensive lineman consistently get better every offseason. Robinson is already starter level. Rogers wouldn't have transferred had he been a starter, which would tell me coaches view either Hutmacher or Fiest as a starter. So then we need to find two depth pieces either through the portal or through younger guys improving. It would have been nice to keep Riley and Rogers but I'm confident guys of their caliber can be found in the portal. Chill out.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 4

NIL has thrown all this into disarray. DL is the most coveted position across the board and can make the most dinero transferring. Just like any business, NU is probably dropping big NIL bucks trying to get new guys in and undervaluing in house talent. If I'm a semi talented Dlineman with a chance for a strongish college career, and a small chance at the NFL and you could make an extra 100k by transferring, you would be nuts not to consider it. Think Nathan Bazata or Drew Ott either could have made half a mil during their college career under the current rules, and neither got a chance in the NFL, as far as I know both are scratching by on family farms now. That 500k (or more) would have gone a long way toward buying land, equipment or a nest egg and set them up for life instead of leaving them like the rest of use working stifffs. 

I can tell you right now, if I thought I could get $100k extra on my salary with a lateral move and had no real strings tying me to me current location. I'm gone. 

• Plus1 7
34 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

And you guys are acting like no one will improve and everybody's just going to play exactly like they did last year, when we've seen defensive lineman consistently get better every offseason. Robinson is already starter level. Rogers wouldn't have transferred had he been a starter, which would tell me coaches view either Hutmacher or Fiest as a starter. So then we need to find two depth pieces either through the portal or through younger guys improving. It would have been nice to keep Riley and Rogers but I'm confident guys of their caliber can be found in the portal. Chill out.

You better hope we get some dudes or you’re gonna eat those words brotha 

• Plus1 5
4 minutes ago, Decked said:

You better hope we get some dudes or you’re gonna eat those words brotha 

Right! How many guys are in the portal that are better than Rogers? We need 3 guys from the portal on DL. The portal isn't some magical place where there is unlimited talent. Especially on the lines where talented guys are highly sought after (like Rogers will be)

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

NIL has thrown all this into disarray. DL is the most coveted position across the board and can make the most dinero transferring. Just like any business, NU is probably dropping big NIL bucks trying to get new guys in and undervaluing in house talent. If I'm a semi talented Dlineman with a chance for a strongish college career, and a small chance at the NFL and you could make an extra 100k by transferring, you would be nuts not to consider it. Think Nathan Bazata or Drew Ott either could have made half a mil during their college career under the current rules, and neither got a chance in the NFL, as far as I know both are scratching by on family farms now. That 500k (or more) would have gone a long way toward buying land, equipment or a nest egg and set them up for life instead of leaving them like the rest of use working stifffs. 

I can tell you right now, if I thought I could get $100k extra on my salary with a lateral move and had no real strings tying me to me current location. I'm gone. 

This was exactly my point when I said NIL is going to create more problems for coaches.  I'm not saying that's what is happening here but just think about this situation.  We're begging boosters to try to get Mathis $100k in NIL deals so we can get him here, because we need him.  But if you're Casey Rogers or Ty Robinson and you're getting say $5-10K in NIL deals and you're just as important to this teams success, how does that make you feel.  Can't blame the guy for testing the waters.  It's hard to imagine that this won't create some animosity amongst teammates.  A coaches nightmare honestly.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sure reads more like "exploring my options" than "I'm gone".

That's good news at least. Maybe exploring some NIL opportunities.  I know he had been injured but I had assumed that he would be a starter upon return.  Was that not necessarily the case?

1 minute ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Tells me he figured out what was being done for Mathis and is saying wtf mate, show me the money too. Its like going into your boss's office with another job offer on the table and asking what are you willing to do to keep me? 

Yea it's pretty easy to think that could be a part of it.  As an employer I know what's it's like to have to pay to obtain talent.  And sometimes said talent may be better than what you have.  Also know from experience that if you pay said talent more than what you currently have, they are either in your office very quickly asking for a raise or they are looking for a new job. 

• Plus1 1