What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

Huh? Nebraska is doing just fine with NIL. They were way ahead of the curve setting up and though the University hasn't talked specifics that I have seen, Our players are making serious bank. 

Opendorse is one of the biggest NIL companies out there. According to Wikipedia, as of July 2019, Opendorse was on pace to become the largest sports content publisher following a $3.1M round of funding. It's not a coincidence that it's run by Blake Lawrence and Adi Kunalic and is headquarters is about 2 blocks from Memorial Stadium.

Not to mention the half a dozen other companies and organizations that Nebraska is partnered with that our players are using through . 

ABM (a Nebraska NILcollective ) has gotten players over $3.5M so far as of a few weeks ago, and that doesn't include the Brandr Group, NilBraska, or the new N100 marketplace (https://n100-husker.com/) or the a certain booster club in Omaha that is charging members $5k for membership and is then paying some serious change to players to come speak at the dinner and maybe watch a little film. 

Hell Trey Palmer hasn't played a down at Nebraska yet but he has a deal for a Nebraska NFT for $4700.

I wouldn't be worried too much about these guys moving on.

• Haha 4

If you believe we are a top 5 NIL school then I got some prime oceanfront property in Hall County to sell you.

A&M paid $20M+ for their recruiting class.  Tennessee is paying $8M for a QB.  OU is giving every football player $50k.  Miami just paid $800k for a basketball player.  Kentucky just kept the national basketball player of the year from going to the NBA by giving him $2M.

*Yes, I know the schools are not paying the players.

3 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

ABM (a Nebraska NILcollective ) has gotten players over $3.5M so far as of a few weeks ago,

ABM said they have raised more the $3.5M, but so far has only paid out $850k.  Hopefully the other $2.6M gets to the athletes sooner or later.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I think initially you will sort of see 3 tiers with NIL. Tier 1 would be schools like Oregon, Texas A&M, a lot of SEC schools probably Ole Miss, Arkansas, Alabama maybe Oklahoma and Oklahoma state. These schools will be essentially be bidding on the best players buying their recruiting classes. It will be obscene money. Tier 2 you will have schools that will really try and use NIL primarily how it was intended. Schools that have big fan bases that can contribute in numbers. They will try hard to help players build brands, make clothing lines, do advertising for businesses, sign some autographs. This is where we fall. Tier 3 will be schools like Kansas State. Not big a big enough fan base to get a lot in numbers. No real big money boosters. These type of schools are going to be at a huge disadvantage. They will hope like hell that NIL becomes more regulated soon or they are pretty well f#&%ed if you ask me. 

On 4/21/2022 at 8:57 PM, NoKoolAidForME said:

Maybe not, but any great pass rushers best friends are the Defensice Tackles.  If they can’t stop the run they don’t have to throw.  

I always saw rodgers as more of an edge presence, maybe fringe interior lineman if we're going 4 upfront, was there talk of slotting him in the DT spot because of the lack of options?

3 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

NU is in the kiddie pool of NIL. Miami just signed a K-State hoops transfer to an $800k deal and we’re bragging about giving an entire football roster that amount 

I think this is a we could be spending 25 million on a recruiting class but we are spending 160 on a building instead situation. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think this is a we could be spending 25 million on a recruiting class but we are spending 160 on a building instead situation. 

If this is the case it’s just classic Nebraska not reading the room and being ready for a big change related to how the sport functions in the modern era. Two former Nebraska players leading the way in the pay for play space and we’re focused on raising funds for something that mattered 8 years ago. Just beyond classic. 

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, seaofred92 said:

If this is the case it’s just classic Nebraska not reading the room and being ready for a big change related to how the sport functions in the modern era. Two former Nebraska players leading the way in the pay for play space and we’re focused on raising funds for something that mattered 8 years ago. Just beyond classic. 

Eh ... I think people are making way to big of a deal about this.  They're acting like no college is ever going to spend money on facilities again.

Just now, Mavric said:

Eh ... I think people are making way to big of a deal about this.  They're acting like no college is ever going to spend money on facilities again.

There’s a pretty big difference in the college bonding out $100M in a low interest rate environment to build a facility and tying up the majority of your donor capital in that.

And I’m not even saying it’s true. “If this is the case”

frankly I don’t think NU and our donors have the balls to play in the big boy NIL section. Which is yet another strike against us moving forward in trying to regain some semblance of relevance.

• Plus1 2

IMHO, looking at what other schools are spending, NU is WAY behind the other schools.  The reality is simply now, not just "pay to play", but "pay to compete". Until we are paying schollie OL $50k/year (see A&M) we will struggle.  That is the new landscape of college football.  Recruiting, portal transfer etc....

Even before NIL, NU was losing as our record continues to be in the minus column for wins 5 years in a row.  We either adapt to the new landscape or truly become an also ran with no chance to compete on the national stage.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, lo country said:

IMHO, looking at what other schools are spending, NU is WAY behind the other schools.  The reality is simply now, not just "pay to play", but "pay to compete". Until we are paying schollie OL $50k/year (see A&M) we will struggle.  That is the new landscape of college football.  Recruiting, portal transfer etc....

10000%. And we’re going to have to pay a premium because we’re Nebraska. Meanwhile we’re bragging about kids making $50 tweeting out an ad for Runza. Wonder when we will start taking this seriously- hopefully when the next coach is in.

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

10000%. And we’re going to have to pay a premium because we’re Nebraska. Meanwhile we’re bragging about kids making $50 tweeting out an ad for Runza. Wonder when we will start taking this seriously- hopefully when the next coach is in.

Unfortunately I’m not sure Frost is the right guy in this new era. He hates NIL and what it’s going to do to football. He just wants to build his team the old fashioned way and then go pluck a few guys from the portal to help. It wouldn’t surprise me if we had a s#!tty season if he takes his money and walks even if he’s not forced to. Might see some more college coaches head for the NFL if given the opportunity too.