What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

3 minutes ago, theknife said:

Unless players are moving on via leaving football, I am shocked we haven't seen any portal additions being at 85 and trying to find help in the portal. 

Somebody is leaving. They just haven’t announced yet. The number of players we are recruiting doesn’t make sense for our count to be so high. I wonder if a few players are just gonna be done with football in general.  

31 minutes ago, dchris121 said:

Latrell Neville has entered the portal. How many more will jump into the portal today? 

Since SF took over, we have signed 15 high school WRs (not counting the 2022 class).  Only 3 remain on the team (Brown, Grimes, Hardy).  Only 1 has seen game action (Brown - 11 games, 18 yards rushing, 71 yards receiving, 273 return yards).  Of the 12 that left, only 2 (Robinson, Betts) played more than 1 game.

It almost takes skill to recruit/develop/retain that terrible.

• Plus1 7
Just now, Red Five said:

Since SF took over, we have signed 15 high school WRs (not counting the 2022 class).  Only 3 remain on the team (Brown, Grimes, Hardy).  Only 1 has seen game action (Brown).  Of the 12 that left, only 2 (Robinson, Betts) played more than 1 game.

It almost takes skill to recruit that terrible.

That would be why we're on our 3rd WR coach. And to be fair, without the coaching changes some of those kids would have stuck around. But yeah, bad recruiting and poor development. Assuming this works out and he sticks around I still expect a lot of turnover under Joseph but at least a few more hits.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Since SF took over, we have signed 15 high school WRs (not counting the 2022 class).  Only 3 remain on the team (Brown, Grimes, Hardy).  Only 1 has seen game action (Brown - 11 games, 18 yards rushing, 71 yards receiving, 273 return yards).  Of the 12 that left, only 2 (Robinson, Betts) played more than 1 game.

It almost takes skill to recruit that terrible.

From my understanding just from listening to Frost, his offensive assistants, and the players, it sounded like Frost's offense forced receivers to read the defense too much and adjust their routes, and they had to also be on the same page as the QB. That complicated of a system, combined with lackluster (at best) position coaching for the WRs, probably explains the lack of production from young receivers as much as lack of talent IMO. Hopefully with Whipple's system the receivers are more free to react rather than get bogged down thinking so much.

11 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

From my understanding just from listening to Frost, his offensive assistants, and the players, it sounded like Frost's offense forced receivers to read the defense too much and adjust their routes, and they had to also be on the same page as the QB. That complicated of a system, combined with lackluster (at best) position coaching for the WRs, probably explains the lack of production from young receivers as much as lack of talent IMO. Hopefully with Whipple's system the receivers are more free to react rather than get bogged down thinking so much.

Yeah, it’s been a theme here in basically every spring and fall camp that young WRs have been committing pre-snap penalties, and it’s just been killing the offense when it continues in season. Thinking too much or getting confused, and then running the wrong route, etc. Not blaming any one person for that, but definitely sounds promising that Joseph is getting guys on the same page.

30 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It almost takes skill to recruit/develop/retain that terrible.

This is even worse than I thought.  How many more WRs from jucos, transfers and walkons?  No wonder the QBs and receivers never really gelled or got in sync.  Yet, we kept on trying to throw. Drives often didn’t finish due to penalties, errant throws, route - QB miscues, etc.  with all the newcomers on offense, expect a great deal more of this.  Unless, the offense is changed, simplified, or something.  I know Whipple understands the problems - he’s watched the film from past 4 years no doubt.   Can he fix all this in 35 practices?  Hope!  

• Plus1 2