What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

8 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

You do realize there are 2 FBS football schools in the state of Oregon?  One has double digit victories in 10 of the past 20 seasons.  The other employs Mike Riley whenever he needs a job.

One has more money for flash and therefor attracts better quality athletes to begin with.  Top 10 recruiting class 2019, churned out one pick in 2022 draft, same number as OSU. 

My point really wasn't even NU vs OU as to where Rodgers would do better.. My point was that he could have gone to AU or USC which would have at least been something different. Instead, he went to the same place his previous coach, which already was not churning out studs, will be his coach but now in an environment not nearly as conducive to grinding like its a mission. Maybe that is ok with him, and maybe I am wrong. But, at first glance, it doesn't look like he made a decision targeted at becoming the best damn football player he can be.

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, TheSker said:

Speaking of bad takes, how would that compare to Mickey Joseph or Mark Whipple?

......to keep bad takes close to to home.

Both of them took high profile transfers soon after arriving to Nebraska.  What are you getting at?  Every major coach in the country is trying to take good transfers.  Some haven't been successful but all are trying.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Both of them took high profile transfers soon after arriving to Nebraska.  What are you getting at?  Every major coach in the country is trying to take good transfers.  Some haven't been successful but all are trying.  

I'd say Joseph and Whipple not only brought in higher rated transfers, but they were able to bring in players other than just players they used to coach.

The point being Coach T has not proven to be a strong recruiter.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I'd say Joseph and Whipple not only brought in higher rated transfers, but they were able to bring in players other than just players they used to coach.

I feel we now have a good enough staff to get the job done where as in the past I didn't feel this way. I would say that our OL coach is TBD. Only other iffy one to me is Dawson but he proved to help the OLBs, we will see how he can recruit and coach the DL. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I feel we now have a good enough staff to get the job done where as in the past I didn't feel this way. I would say that our OL coach is TBD. Only other iffy one to me is Dawson but he proved to help the OLBs, we will see how he can recruit and coach the DL. 

Agreed....overall we are much better off from a recruiting standpoint for certain.

And Coach T is going to run out of players he used to coach as his recruiting pipeline soon.

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I would agree he didn't recruit well at Nebraska.  I didn't take issue with that at all.  However him taking Casey isn't an indication of his poor recruiting as you tried to say.  The fact he beat out a pile of other teams, including USC and Auburn, actually is a feather in his recruiting cap.

All of that aside, I still think a coaches recruiting ability has as much or more to do with their location and how much the team values them monetarily in this current NIL environment we are in.

I'm guessing he ends up recruiting very well at Oregon with the financial backing they have and the proximity to Polynesian recruits.  I guess time will tell.    

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I would agree he didn't recruit well at Nebraska.  I didn't take issue with that at all.  However him taking Casey isn't an indication of his poor recruiting as you tried to say.  The fact he beat out a pile of other teams, including USC and Auburn, actually is a feather in his recruiting cap.

All of that aside, I still think a coaches recruiting ability has as much or more to do with their location and how much the team values them monetarily in this current NIL environment we are in.

I'm guessing he ends up recruiting very well at Oregon with the financial backing they have and the proximity to Polynesian recruits.  I guess time will tell.    

I wonder how he could have possibly "out recruited" USC and Auburn for Rogers?

One of life's mysteries I suppose.

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I wonder how he could have possibly "out recruited" USC and Auburn for Rogers?

One of life's mysteries I suppose.

Auburn is in total disarray as the boosters essentially staged a coup to try and get the HC fired, would be a hard pass for me.  I was a bit surprised to not see him go to USC but I suppose if all things were equal, might as well play for your old DL coach, especially if you liked him.  I wouldn't be stunned if Oregon ended up with a better record than USC.

• Plus1 1

Now at 86.

I read this weekend that graduates don't have to be in the portal by the 5/1 deadline.  From looking back at past Huskers.com grad announcements, here is who has graduated that is part of the 86: 

Banks, Heinrich, Martin, Nelson, Tannor, Mauga-Clements, Vokelek, Hixon, and Bando.

• Plus1 1