What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

So if we add Washington we be at 88. So I could see and I hate to say this but Logan Smothers, Markese Stepp and maybe Rahmir Johnson leaving during fall camp. I say those 2 running backs bc Stepp has been hurt and his buried on the depth chart and Rahmir is a situational running back. If Logan doesn't fix his mechanic's in throwing a football I see him getting passed up.

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

So if we add Washington we be at 88. So I could see and I hate to say this but Logan Smothers, Markese Stepp and maybe Rahmir Johnson leaving during fall camp. I say those 2 running backs bc Stepp has been hurt and his buried on the depth chart and Rahmir is a situational running back. If Logan doesn't fix his mechanic's in throwing a football I see him getting passed up.

Logan and especially Rahmir aren't going anywhere. As it currently stands, Rahmir is a top 5 player on this team. 

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1

I like all three and yes Logan and his dad said they are in it to win it but you don't think he legitimately sits the bench if Chubba Purdy is healthy. It would be a Casey Thompson situation here instead of Texas with him and Rahmir yes he is the leading rusher to return but I don't think he starts over Grant or Yanz or even Allen coming in. It was rumored he thought about leaving before the season started last year and he was in position to be the clear number 1 has the season progressed but with his body type and what didn't happen he's not. He not the clear number one running back like he should be and Scott Frost brought in 3 more running backs bc of it.

I see the RB spot as wide open, yet again, going into the fall. A number of them are viable candidates but yet to see any of them be “wow” types.  They need to be all conference caliber and we need two minimum.  Maybe there could be a couple in the room but haven’t seen them yet.

Imo, ideal guys are 6’ to 6-1” and 225 lbs, 4.4 and elusive with low center of gravity, good blocking and catching.  Somebody like Wiscy, PSU, etc runs over, around and thru us annually.   Like the parade of guys we used to have for decades, except 10 lbs bigger commensurate with the times.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I like all three and yes Logan and his dad said they are in it to win it but you don't think he legitimately sits the bench if Chubba Purdy is healthy. It would be a Casey Thompson situation here instead of Texas with him and Rahmir yes he is the leading rusher to return but I don't think he starts over Grant or Yanz or even Allen coming in. It was rumored he thought about leaving before the season started last year and he was in position to be the clear number 1 has the season progressed but with his body type and what didn't happen he's not. He not the clear number one running back like he should be and Scott Frost brought in 3 more running backs bc of it.

If we are talking in terms of QB, the data suggests that the back up is guaranteed to start a few games. Casey is also a 1 year addition because if he has the year he wants, he is bolting for the pros. Chubba has better tools and build than Logan but experience trumps all. And he has more of it with this collection of guys and he brings a speed component that gives defenses fits. 

Grant and Yant are not guarantees for anything but being in the rotation. Nebraska needs RBs who can flex and catch the ball. Against our two best opponents, Rahmir was one of the best players on the field. Had he not gotten injured, his numbers would have been better, and it is possible that Nebraska even wins an extra game or two based on his output (debatable I am sure). Regardless of that, he has room to improve and transitioning to a new offense, you need experience. He is that and then some for this team. He isn't traditional like an Allen or Ervin, but he is proven unlike those two. I imagine you will see 5-6 catches for Rahmir a game, and with his speed, he is going to house a ton. 

I see what you're saying and obviously we are at a numbers crunch. However, those are two guys we are going to have to rely heavily on whether behind the scenes or on the field. 

• Plus1 1

Unless Logan wanted to go FCS, I kind of doubt there's another place in P5 where he can go and compete for the starting job. So I think he's here until he's for sure out of consideration to start. Even if he's 3rd string behind Chubba, chances are he sticks around and competes for the starting QB spot next year.

4 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Unless Logan wanted to go FCS, I kind of doubt there's another place in P5 where he can go and compete for the starting job. So I think he's here until he's for sure out of consideration to start. Even if he's 3rd string behind Chubba, chances are he sticks around and competes for the starting QB spot next year.

I get where you are coming from but what happens if Casey sticks around after the season then your telling me he would be ok sitting for 2 years on the bench when he could have been the starting QB this year if he would have beaten Iowa last year. I don't see it bc of the competitor that he is.