What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

Under Held insert any RB as looking good and then vanishing.  The RB room had a lot of star power.  Just no astronaut to get to them.  Mismanaged is putting it kindly.  

Agreed, however... he is behind Johnson, Yant, and a healthy Ervin and Steppe. Not gonna shed tears over the 5th and 6th string RBs leaving no matter how much potential they may have had. That said, I think its pretty short sighted, try your hand under the new coach that is gonna be here before bolting, there will still be landing spots in the spring.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Agreed, however... he is behind Johnson, Yant, and a healthy Ervin and Steppe. Not gonna shed tears over the 5th and 6th string RBs leaving no matter how much potential they may have had. That said, I think its pretty short sighted, try your hand under the new coach that is gonna be here before bolting, there will still be landing spots in the spring.

What’s so crazy is the first game (or maybe camp) Johnson was 5th and Yant was even mentioned IIRC.  Just that whole room for multiple years....

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

And belt. He was apparently behind Belt. 

• Plus1 2

Problem is too many RBs really.  We don’t need 5-6 frosh/soph RBs. Maybe have 6 spread over the 5 year elig time and a few walkons.  
Frost has used far too many scholarships on WRs and RBs and not near enough in O line.  
Can never have enough big guys.   
But I don’t like blaming the assistant coaches for player depth chart/playing time decisions.  Those are on Frost.  He decides who starts and plays no doubt.  

• Plus1 3

Who are we picking up from transfer portal? 

Since we play OU next year, maybe Spencler Raddler would consider us and a chance to go beat Williams/OU?  Not sure what happened between last year and this year, but the freshman version of Raddler was good enough to earn hiesman front runner hype going into this season.   

6 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Who are we picking up from transfer portal? 

Since we play OU next year, maybe Spencler Raddler would consider us and a chance to go beat Williams/OU?  Not sure what happened between last year and this year, but the freshman version of Raddler was good enough to earn hiesman front runner hype going into this season.   

I'm betting most OU transfers end up at USC.

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

And that was under Brown as RBs coach too.

It was also earlier in the year.  I think Belt was kind of used as a wingback and catches some passes, right?  But Scott had to wonder what happened. 

It appears  to me that our offensive identity is designing plays for players rather than establishing a team scheme. It’s like being an amoeba 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

And belt. He was apparently behind Belt. 

Belt got PT because he hit the guard's hip in 2.5 seconds.  Gets positive yards out of nothing.

Stepp is too slow off the exchange.  Nice size, but doesn't drive with legs.

Yant takes most of his carries outside the edge (on inside plays)

Scott did good in his limited action.  IE, snap, hit the hole for 2 yards instead of losing yards, fight for more.

Morrison was quicker than Stepp, but also the same ball carrier.

Rahmir ran quick off snap like Belt, they both will try to block, they both will catch passes out of the backfield.

Bottom line is, the scheme is limited to running between the tackles.  You have to have burst to get there, or the hole disappears quickly.  You have to block, and catch passes.  It's not HS football highlights of running untouched play after play.  I think the scheme sucks, and the backs know it too.

• Plus1 3

I hate to see any leave but the roster is a bit overdone.   We lose half a dozen “seniors” who actually got to go like it not. Probably another half dozen or so super juniors (4 or 4+ Yrs) who are ready to move on (pro fb or life after), and then another 24 that have come and tried but are just not really cut out for big Ten level play.  
Every year ya gotta cull the herd and bring in the young replacements.

.  We have an average age of soph or younger group but 2021 “seasoned” a fair number.  Next fall the roster will likely move up to an average - 3rd year soph - from a second yr frosh.  This will or should really help the team cut down the bone head mistakes that plague them.

The key will be retaining the bulk of the three deep that don’t go pro or graduate.  Sadly the fans don’t ever see an honest 3 or even 4 deep chart so we don’t know how to evaluate things.  Frost is far too secretive for his own good.  Information is terribly lacking in general.  No sports info director.  10 min pressers a couple days a week.  Very little press inside the program, etc.  This leads to wild speculation and unrealistic expectations (too high or too low).  Rumors run rampant.   Most benign but some become malignant and cancer like.  

Frost - it seems from the uninformed outsider perspective - has a fairly unified team until the coach dismissals.  Team played hard despite all the losses.  Really, the only real signs of quit and lack of heart were in a few guys quitting along the way and the bowl rejection.    Those that got to play this year were in decent shape and gave good effort mostly.  However I would say that some of the older players are maybe less physically developed that you’d expect just from the eye test.  Again the info is lacking.  We don’t see the winter testing etc.  We get presser talk from a couple dozen maybe but good honest and reliable info is critical to counter the social media gossip machine which is so dangerous imo.  

• Plus1 1

Sean Callahan said last night that he expects 7-10 portal players to come in this year.  That means we would need a few more than that to leave. That’s because they were already planning on a few leaving to get to their HS recruiting number. 

So, when that happens, we will have fans on here panicking claiming everything is falling apart. When, in reality, this is what needs to have happen. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sean Callahan said last night that he expects 7-10 portal players to come in this year.  That means we would need a few more than that to leave. That’s because they were already planning on a few leaving to get to their HS recruiting number. 

So, when that happens, we will have fans on here panicking claiming everything is falling apart. When, in reality, this is what needs to have happen. 

It's the new era of college football. The only time to panic is if we start losing expected starters to the portal.