What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh, that's what happens when the roster you inherit had one legitimate running back and one legitimate receiver and they're both seniors.

and you then proceed to not replace that productivity for several years :-( At WR he had Morgan for a year and also Spielman though. Not a bad 1,2 punch. Had Tyjon Lindsey as well. RB obviously we had Ozigbo and not much else. 

• Plus1 2

Interesting discussion on local talk radio this morning about the portal.  Besides lamenting the change at OU and FSU actively trying to recruit OU players, they noted that in the future there will be dedicated staff to 'work' the portal as their only job. -- to monitor, evaluate and pursue portal guys.  As we have a recruiting coordinator now, we'll eventually have a portal coordinator.  There are a few schools, like FSU, who have basically made this jump already.  This also affects high school recruiting.  One local HS coach, one of the top coaches in the country, believes there will be 100s  of HS players who will not be receiving scholarships this year or may have to settle for lower division scholarships.  These kids will become portal entrants in the years ahead.  Three large school coaches all noted that the number of in school visits is down considerably this year in comparison to previous years. The college coach has got to choose from taking a kid wt some game experience or college coaching vs taking a kid straight out of HS.  Add to this the super senior issue and there are fewer spots available for scholarships for HS players.

So it seems like we have a tiered 'farm club' system developing.  The real good HS players will get a scholarship,  the others go to lessor schools.  The portal shuffles the deck.  Any more the HC/CEO has to also be the general manager - wheeling and dealing as players (think of them as free agents) leave their team and enter the portal.   

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

and you then proceed to not replace that productivity for several years :-( At WR he had Morgan for a year and also Spielman though. Not a bad 1,2 punch. Had Tyjon Lindsey as well. RB obviously we had Ozigbo and not much else. 

Yeah, I missed Spielman because I had him in the Duck-R category for that year.

I don't think your first statement is accurate but it's not worth arguing with someone who insists that everything is the worst thing ever.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

Cam Jurgens possibly not coming back. Was given a 3rd-5th round draft grade for NFL. Can he improve on that as a Center? 

I initially thought 'no' but then I looked it up and I was pleasantly surprised at how often centers went in the top 2 rounds of the draft.  If Jurgens is getting a 3rd-5th round grade now, with another dominant year he could jump into the 2-3 round especially because I imagine he's going to test off the charts.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/c

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I initially thought 'no' but then I looked it up and I was pleasantly surprised at how often centers went in the top 2 rounds of the draft.  If Jurgens is getting a 3rd-5th round grade now, with another dominant year he could jump into the 2-3 round especially because I imagine he's going to test off the charts.

You just have to wonder about his injury history etc. if he gets hurt does he drop to 5-7 or Undrafted? 

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Thanks for pointing out the draft history of the center position.  I honestly think that 3rd to 5th round is Cam's draft ceiling, and if he's getting that grade now, he should think about going pro.  I don't know exactly, but I don't think there is a lot of $ difference in the rookie contract of a 2nd round pick (which would be his max in 1-2 years), but if he were able to get drafted, stick on a roster for a few years and get that 2nd contract, that's where his big $ will be.  Cam is already 22 years old (will turn 23 in August) so at some point his age will be a deterrent to some NFL teams.

• Plus1 3
15 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

A little "pat on the back" for some of us who said last year that he was going to be an NFL player, while others were popping off about how he was worthless and SF was an idiot.   I think he comes back, but a lot will depend on how he connects initially with the new OL coach.  He has gone from a TE to an erratic center to now a prospect.  One more year of growth could earn him a TON more money. He will jump into the first 2 rounds.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, HANC said:

A little "pat on the back" for some of us who said last year that he was going to be an NFL player, while others were popping off about how he was worthless and SF was an idiot.   I think he comes back, but a lot will depend on how he connects initially with the new OL coach.  He has gone from a TE to an erratic center to now a prospect.  One more year of growth could earn him a TON more money. He will jump into the first 2 rounds.

I don't think Jurgens would jump into the first round, so if he were able to get into the 2nd round, that would be a couple more million $ in his rookie deal.  While it's a lot of $ to me and you, in NFL contract terms, I don't know if I would say that's a TON more money.  If I were Cam, I would think about coming out a year earlier, because that would get me to my 2nd contract a year earlier.