What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

Just so we’re all on the same page and no feelings get hurt.  

As it turns out Decoy, I am evidently the only one getting entertainment value out of the interactions on this board.  I thought that was the whole purpose of engagement here.  

Apparently, the board rules are permissive when it comes to overt or direct insults of someone's thoughts, but not permissive of passive needling.  Odd indeed.  To be clear, use of the word "odd" in no way casts an aspersion upon those promulgating or enforcing the rules, nor does it any way defame one or multiple members of this group.  I got that statement from Twitter's attorneys (with sarcasm as previously defined).

We need the United Nations or a group of attorneys to moderate this going forward.    

• Plus1 1

51 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Going from 4th to 2nd round is worth about $4M over the life of a 4-year contract.  After taxes and agent fees, that would be a $2-2.5M difference over the life of the contract.  Is that worth risking by coming back for another year at NU?  I don't know if it is.  My point is given his injury history, I think it would be smarter to come out earlier, and that gets him to his 2nd contract (which is the big payday in the NFL) a year earlier, and more time earning that larger contract $.  I am sure Jurgens' NIL $ is decent for a college kid, but he's not making bank from it.

It is basically doubling the initial contract. If we look at first year only, it is approx 2mil/yr vs 1mil/yr.  If the gamble works, he essentially "earns" a million dollars by playing next year at NU. If he pulls in 100-200k NIL while here that makes his next year earnings 1.15mil. He then earns and additional million each year he is on an NFL roster from there on out, making double what he makes those years if he comes out now. 

Money wise he stands to win if he stays IF the gamble to move up in draft works. He more than doubles his earnings on the rookie contract by moving into the 2nd round. 

5 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

It is basically doubling the initial contract. If we look at first year only, it is approx 2mil/yr vs 1mil/yr.  If the gamble works, he essentially "earns" a million dollars by playing next year at NU. If he pulls in 100-200k NIL while here that makes his next year earnings 1.15mil. He then earns and additional million each year he is on an NFL roster from there on out, making double what he makes those years if he comes out now. 

Money wise he stands to win if he stays IF the gamble to move up in draft works. He more than doubles his earnings on the rookie contract by moving into the 2nd round. 

To each their own.  I would rather take the sure $1M a year in the next year, rather than waiting another year with the hope of doubling your first contract starting a year later, especially with centers not exactly being a draft priority in NFL teams.  Earning NFL $ is already life altering $, but with short careers and guaranteed contracts, I would rather earn that $ sooner rather than later.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

To each their own.  I would rather take the sure $1M a year in the next year, rather than waiting another year with the hope of doubling your first contract starting a year later, especially with centers not exactly being a draft priority in NFL teams.  Earning NFL $ is already life altering $, but with short careers and guaranteed contracts, I would rather earn that $ sooner rather than later.

You reasoning of taking the sure $ make complete sense.  There is a risk of injury involved if he returns.  My feeling though, is look at how much he has improved with an Oline coach whom almost everyone thought was incompetent. If he gets a good coach, continues to develop, he will be on a lot of "watch" lists to begin the year and very easily could be a finalist for the Rimington  trophy. I think his draft stock will grow tremendously.  Yes, it is high risk - high reward.

3 minutes ago, HANC said:

You reasoning of taking the sure $ make complete sense.  There is a risk of injury involved if he returns.  My feeling though, is look at how much he has improved with an Oline coach whom almost everyone thought was incompetent. If he gets a good coach, continues to develop, he will be on a lot of "watch" lists to begin the year and very easily could be a finalist for the Rimington  trophy. I think his draft stock will grow tremendously.  Yes, it is high risk - high reward.

My biggest thought about a potential NFL player is the ability to get to that 2nd contract.  That's where the big $ is.  If that player has to make it 4 healthy years on a NFL roster to get that 2nd contract, I would rather not waste one of those healthy years in college.  If I were assured of making a NFL roster out of college, I am trying to get to that 2nd contract the quickest and easiest way possible.  Yes, first round (and top of first round) picks make silly $, but that rookie contract $ isn't all that different after the first round.

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

My biggest thought about a potential NFL player is the ability to get to that 2nd contract.  That's where the big $ is.  If that player has to make it 4 healthy years on a NFL roster to get that 2nd contract, I would rather not waste one of those healthy years in college.  If I were assured of making a NFL roster out of college, I am trying to get to that 2nd contract the quickest and easiest way possible.  Yes, first round (and top of first round) picks make silly $, but that rookie contract $ isn't all that different after the first round.

Makes sense. He has a 5th-6th round grade. If he happens to slide into 7th, no guarantee of making roster, although most drafted players typically do. If this was the case, he would be better off getting paid by NIL , improve draft stock rather than practice squad. I completely understand your thought in 2nd contract agree that makes perfect sense.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, HANC said:

Makes sense. He has a 5th-6th round grade. If he happens to slide into 7th, no guarantee of making roster, although most drafted players typically do. If this was the case, he would be better off getting paid by NIL , improve draft stock rather than practice squad. I completely understand your thought in 2nd contract agree that makes perfect sense.

Agree that it depends mostly on his projected draft grade.  If he gets a 3rd or 4th round projection, I think it's worth him leaving.  If it's 6th or 7th round, much less of a guarantee to get drafted, so he should come back to improve his stock.  Then everyone can have this same conversation next year because he will technically have another year of eligibility left.  :cheers

14 minutes ago, Courtesy Flush said:

This would be the thing that would make the KoolAid run dry in my house. Please, Cam, please just stay. I’ll buy a damn shirt.

Probably the worst offensive line (as it sits now) in my entire life if that happens. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1