What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

33 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

This sucks, we seem to have lost alot more than we have gained.  Next year is going to be a crap shoot thats for sure.

After 5 straight losing seasons, trying to find the silver lining in this very dark cloud is tough. But, the people within and behind the program (Board of Regents, NU Pres., Alumi Assn., major donors (whomever they are), Trev, the administration and staff, etal) are all doing their all, to turn things around.  I know we’ve all been saying / thinking this for 20 years or so.  

Errors and just plain misfortune have hindered the effort.  But nonetheless the biggest effort ever is being made. Massive facilities upgrades, coaching and staffing, player training, recruiting and every other possible step taken to make Neb football successful again.  

HCSF is a darn good coach with the best of intentions.  He wants and needs the program restored as much as anyone else.  I want to believe he underestimated the challenges he faced when he took the job. I think he had a plan but unexpected hurdles and some perfect storm level bad luck along the way made it almost impossible.  He lacked the experience and wisdom only obtained over a longer period of time.   He probably hoped it would be quick but realized it could be 5 or 6 years to do it.  I hope he made these major changes soon enough.  Time is ticking by. 

Hopefully, Frost is hiring new assistants with new ideas and the support of everyone to implement them immediately.  The team will age a full year as very few graduate or leave early (so far atleast).

The recruiting class is not rated high but the players were very committed and seem to be extremely athletic.  Maybe they will be more team focused and willing to learn and compete instead of feeling entitled to play because the gurus say so. 

There are some very key missing pieces (O line, D line, a coach, and some organizational biggies.  Frost and Co go about picking an offense to fit the talent and fit the opponents - Big Ten, and get the squad learning a new offense.  

Focus on making special teams the strength of the team seems like the quickest way to improve the win loss record. That ought not take years. Next hang on to the gains in the defense.   That area can’t slip. 

Lastly, simplify the offense so the plays that are chosen can be practiced until executed at a very consistent high level.  Evaluate every position and player.  Make decisions. And, get more benefit from scout team and learning as young guys must play since depth could not be developed enough (close games made it hard). 

• Plus1 2

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/2016-huskeronline-com-scholarship-distribution-chart

Rivals scholarship chart has us currently at 89, so we are going to have to shed at least 4 players, and more if we want to add a few more pieces from the portal.

There are a few seniors who are basically non-contributors that need to go (Chris Walker,  Damian Jackson, Eva Mauga-Clements) as well as guys who have been recruited over (Cerni).  But we still need to lose a few more.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, admo said:

I thought Damian Jackson played hard with his limited plays on the field :dunno I'd keep him for sure.

Unpopular opinion. 

Jackson is a great guy and team mate. 

But, if we need to cut to make room for talented recruits or transfers, I’m fine with him going.  Or, if he wants to go back to bring a walk-on, fine. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Unpopular opinion. 

Jackson is a great guy and team mate. 

But, if we need to cut to make room for talented recruits or transfers, I’m fine with him going.  Or, if he wants to go back to bring a walk-on, fine. 

I'm not gonna tell him, you tell him :lol:

Yeah @ColoradoHusk pretty much said he's not on schollie

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Jackson was only on scholarship for last semester. I don't think he's been given a full scholarship going forward.

It sounds like the Huskerboard needs to step up and select our mascot. With all of the badasses in this message board, we should be able to help Jackson out with some NIL funds, right team!?