What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

On 3/25/2022 at 11:36 AM, Decked said:

Stepp should be processed. Will be interesting to see if all of Rahmir, Yant, & Grant stay 

Yant is staying unless the coaches want him to leave at some point.  The kid has really made a transition and is 100% committed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Nebraska is currently at 90 schollys (including Betts).  Sam said on the Sharpe and Benning show this morning he expects that number to be down to about 80 after spring.  Sam and Damon said that departures will probably come from WR, OL, RB, and DL.

Wow, 9 more departures.  Prepare for some fans to melt down. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Nebraska is currently at 90 schollys (including Betts).  Sam said on the Sharpe and Benning show this morning he expects that number to be down to about 80 after spring.  Sam and Damon said that departures will probably come from WR, OL, RB, and DL.

They have Will Nixon on the list who is gone.  They have Betts on the list and he's probably gone.  They have Wyatt Liewer on the list - I would guess he'll only be kept on scholarship if they have extras.  So we're really at 87 right now.

There will definitely be some that leave.  But I'm not sure about getting down to 80.  But anything is possible.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Pedro G said:

I’m thinking the WRs from the 2021 recruiting class. The only thing I heard about them from Joseph is they have to step up. I’m thinking  at least two of the three will be gone. No reason except for a crowded room that will thin out. 

I think you're right that there are two definite possibilities there.  Stepp is likely to be gone.  It sure seems like one QB would leave.  Probably one OL in the Sophomore log jam.  Wouldn't be shocking for a DL that is back in the pack to bolt.  So that might be six.  And there's always a surprise or two.

Perhaps 80 isn't all that far-fetched.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Mavric said:

I think you're right that there are two definite possibilities there.  Stepp is likely to be gone.  It sure seems like one QB would leave.  Probably one OL in the Sophomore log jam.  Wouldn't be shocking for a DL that is back in the pack to bolt.  So that might be six.  And there's always a surprise or two.

Perhaps 80 isn't all that far-fetched.

I am thinking as long as Smothers locks down number 2 he will stay for now. I am wondering if it will be Haarberg. Very athletic with a big arm. But his accuracy is questionable. 

• Fire 1

14 hours ago, Pedro G said:

I’m thinking the WRs from the 2021 recruiting class. The only thing I heard about them from Joseph is they have to step up. I’m thinking  at least two of the three will be gone. No reason except for a crowded room that will thin out. 

I dont see Hardy or Neville leaving. Grimes maybe but with them only being in the Program for a year with a new position coach this year I bet they stick it out. I expect at least 1 RB to enter the portal (Stepp), Probably two O linemen (Conn and Lynn), DL (Marquis Black or Jailen Weaver), WR (Liewer or Hahn)

5 minutes ago, GretnaHusker14 said:

I dont see Hardy or Neville leaving. Grimes maybe but with them only being in the Program for a year with a new position coach this year I bet they stick it out. I expect at least 1 RB to enter the portal (Stepp), Probably two O linemen (Conn and Lynn), DL (Marquis Black or Jailen Weaver), WR (Liewer or Hahn)

Grimes is the only one of those 3 receivers to get a mention from the coaches this spring as far as I can tell. I don't think it would be crazy for Hardy and/or Neville to leave - I think they both have talent, but not as much as the guys Joseph just brought in.

Liewer and Hahn are interesting - as Mav pointed out, they can probably just not renew his scholly since he was a walk-on. You generally earn it as a walk-on by making the two-deep, and I don't think they feel obligated to keep you on it if you're no longer in that spot. Hahn hasn't been on scholarship, but I think his deal was to be put on scholly right about now and Joseph may not have made that same one. 

I will admit I am finally nervous about the DL - the depth was clearly bad, but I apparently have a higher opinion of Nash and the underclassmen than a lot of people. There are too many sources bringing up concerns there. That also makes the comments about the OL looking a lot better questionable - maybe it's just because they aren't blocking Stille, Daniels, and Thomas. 

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Grimes is the only one of those 3 receivers to get a mention from the coaches this spring as far as I can tell. I don't think it would be crazy for Hardy and/or Neville to leave - I think they both have talent, but not as much as the guys Joseph just brought in.

Liewer and Hahn are interesting - as Mav pointed out, they can probably just not renew his scholly since he was a walk-on. You generally earn it as a walk-on by making the two-deep, and I don't think they feel obligated to keep you on it if you're no longer in that spot. Hahn hasn't been on scholarship, but I think his deal was to be put on scholly right about now and Joseph may not have made that same one. 

I will admit I am finally nervous about the DL - the depth was clearly bad, but I apparently have a higher opinion of Nash and the underclassmen than a lot of people. There are too many sources bringing up concerns there. That also makes the comments about the OL looking a lot better questionable - maybe it's just because they aren't blocking Stille, Daniels, and Thomas. 

Having the little depth we have at DL talk about leaving is also a huge concern to me.  People keep floating the idea of getting more transfers in after spring but I am not holding my breath for that to include lineman who want to come to Nebraska.  Better hope Casey Thompson is the magic sauce for this offense and we are going to be in some high scoring games this fall.