What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

Just now, theknife said:

Bro, Nash will likely be starting/rotating. Piper, Banks, and Miller are all on the 2 deep right now.  

Hear me out, Nash isn't a good football player. Banks never developed into anything. Piper is shell shocked, and miller isn't good. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Vince R. said:

Hear me out, Nash isn't a good football player. Banks never developed into anything. Piper is shell shocked, and miller isn't good. 

Miller is at least not on scholarship right? I know he came here as a walk-on, and I don't remember an announcement about him earning one. 

Curious you listed Malcolm as well - is that based on what you've seen or heard so far here, or still from evaluating him as a recruit? I know he was considered a reach at the time.  

Hoping that the upgrade in offensive line coaching is making the dline look worse than it truly is. How many opposing dlines looked like world beaters against our OLINE last year? Our Oline suddenly functioning properly might be making our dline look unexpectedly worse. We've got oline talent - on paper- maybe that is showing in practice. 

Probably wishful thinking, but one can hope. 

1 hour ago, Vince R. said:

Hardy, Neville, Malcolm, Lynn, Wilderman, Conn, Nash, Tyreke, Mauga Clements, Stepp, Piper, Ezra Miller, and Banks need to go. 

I understand being skeptical about Nash but I don't think he's one to give up on yet.

I'm doubtful Tyreke will be a major contributor but he's been getting time with the 2s so I don't think that's a give up at this point.

Mauga-Clements is similar to Tyreke but he's in the mix this spring (injuries play a part) but, again, guys that are in the mix for the two-deep should probably stay.

Linemen in general are slower to develop so there are a couple other question marks on your list but Piper and Banks will definitely be on the two-deep so your list seems harsh.

• Plus1 7

54 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Miller is at least not on scholarship right? I know he came here as a walk-on, and I don't remember an announcement about him earning one. 

Curious you listed Malcolm as well - is that based on what you've seen or heard so far here, or still from evaluating him as a recruit? I know he was considered a reach at the time.  

I was told by someone who goes to practice. Some guys are just not progressing or have such bad habits that they cannot coach them out of. This team is in a weird situation. There are things to be optimistic about and then aspects where it is obvious that Nebraska sorely lacks. The middle LB's have been exposed a little bit and appear to have maxed out. Ty Robinson is too heavy, and they might slide him at Nose. Myles Farmer has maxed out. Braxton Clark is doing everything to not take the opposite CB spot despite him being the guy the staff wants out there for this year. Omar Manning isn't event top 3 at WR. The young TE's are actually good. Size is the issue. The RBs are good. Grimes kicked it into gear but is still behind. Marquis Black flashes but is inconsistent. Mossai isn't very strong. Haussman is better than Kpai. Alante is good and should play a lot. Palmer is the best WR. Weaver and Buckley aren't ready. Kolarevic doesn't have a position. Javin Wright same thing. O-line needs guys back to evaluate, but they have been a somewhat pleasant surprise, attitude wise. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Hardy, Neville, Malcolm, Lynn, Wilderman, Conn, Nash, Tyreke, Mauga Clements, Stepp, Piper, Ezra Miller, and Banks need to go. 

You won’t see me saying no to a lot of these. They need Nash. Piper probably too. Ezra Miller is a walk-on so that doesn’t really matter. 

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I understand being skeptical about Nash but I don't think he's one to give up on yet.

I'm doubtful Tyreke will be a major contributor but he's been getting time with the 2s so I don't think that's a give up at this point.

Mauga-Clements is similar to Tyreke but he's in the mix this spring (injuries play a part) but, again, guys that are in the mix for the two-deep should probably stay.

Linemen in general are slower to develop so there are a couple other question marks on your list but Piper and Banks will definitely be on the two-deep so your list seems harsh.

I don't have a lot to contribute but my source isn't high on Piper... he did say he has made some progress but has a ways to go before he will really be an asset.  

Just now, Hilltop said:

I don't have a lot to contribute but my source isn't high on Piper... he did say he has made some progress but has a ways to go before he will really be an asset.  

I don't disagree on Piper.  He had a chance and it didn't seem to work out well.

However, it's not like he's not even in the conversation.  He might not end up being a contributor but he's still getting reps with the 1s right now.

You can't get rid of everyone who isn't a starter.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Decked said:

You won’t see me saying no to a lot of these. They need Nash. Piper probably too. Ezra Miller is a walk-on so that doesn’t really matter. 

they absolutely need nash but that strength hasn’t done anything for his football abilities. The dude plays with cement blocks for cleats. 

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I was told by someone who goes to practice. Some guys are just not progressing or have such bad habits that they cannot coach them out of. This team is in a weird situation. There are things to be optimistic about and then aspects where it is obvious that Nebraska sorely lacks. The middle LB's have been exposed a little bit and appear to have maxed out. Ty Robinson is too heavy, and they might slide him at Nose. Myles Farmer has maxed out. Braxton Clark is doing everything to not take the opposite CB spot despite him being the guy the staff wants out there for this year. Omar Manning isn't event top 3 at WR. The young TE's are actually good. Size is the issue. The RBs are good. Grimes kicked it into gear but is still behind. Marquis Black flashes but is inconsistent. Mossai isn't very strong. Haussman is better than Kpai. Alante is good and should play a lot. Palmer is the best WR. Weaver and Buckley aren't ready. Kolarevic doesn't have a position. Javin Wright same thing. O-line needs guys back to evaluate, but they have been a somewhat pleasant surprise, attitude wise. 

Clark likely gets passed up by both Omar Brown & Tommy Hill/Newsome. Farmer getting exposed on the athlete side. 

ILBs need another two guys to be good & not have to play as much. Logged a lot of snaps. Not a whole lot there because everyone is either so thin or young. Or both. 

DL we so badly need a true nose & another DT/DE

Just seems to be a lot of problem areas this year. Hopefully some new blood from fall/transfer portal fills some of those gaps. 

i feel good about the RB, QB, & CB groups. OLB may start building some depth here. Very poor on the DL. OL is so hard to judge at the moment due to people being out. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I will admit I am finally nervous about the DL - the depth was clearly bad, but I apparently have a higher opinion of Nash and the underclassmen than a lot of people. There are too many sources bringing up concerns there. That also makes the comments about the OL looking a lot better questionable - maybe it's just because they aren't blocking Stille, Daniels, and Thomas. 

I think it's safe to say that DL is the biggest concern right now. Part of it is obviously just the vacuum of losing three starters - 3/4 of what we currently have on DL are underclassmen. I wouldn't write off the younger guys just yet, but boy we sure need some to step up. People seem to harp on Nash a lot, but IMO Wildeman is the biggest bust on the DL - 4* non-contributor who's been here longer than Nash.

As for the OL, IMO it's just too early to really say how much difference the coaching change has made, so who knows. I've heard Benhart's name mentioned as being the guy who's supposedly benefited the most from the coaching change, though.

If I had to guess about the group that's in the worst shape right now, though, it's probably neither of those - it's TE.

• Plus1 1

Malcolm came from an 8 man powerhouse in swi iowa, same school that produced nate meier who started for 3 years on the DL for iowa...town has less than 1000 in it...or right at it.

He went from being the biggest and fastest on the field to being very small for his position.  The kid came in at 185 and was listed at ILB.  We all knew he would be a project type kid.  

He's got talent...he played the joker position in HS on defense,  so he was everywhere and was typically a blitzer.  He was way better as a running back in HS, IMO.  I hope he works out and stays.  But if he's falling more and more behind and isn't sniffing the 2 deep by next year, he should probably look at a smaller school.

• Plus1 1