What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

10 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

@Red Five is correct. The issue with CFB is extreme talent consolidation among the top 7 or so programs in the country. Reducing the scholarship limit by 10 means Alabama, Ohio State, Georgia. etc. can't hoard as much talent. Nearly their entire class is rated 4*s or higher each year. Reducing the scholarship numbers hopefully means more of those players will be spread among the rest of the teams.

I don't know how much this benefits Nebraska, because we're not that high on the lists of most of those kids anyway, but it would help the competitiveness CFB is lacking by giving more talent to the next crop of teams like Michigan, Miami, Oregon, etc. The biggest argument against is that the talent gap is still so significant it wouldn't help close the gap between the Oregon's and the Georgia's enough anyway.

And, let's be honest, programs like Nebraska don't recruit enough talented kids to fill out 85 scholarships anyway. Each of our recruiting classes contain a few "projects" that we gamble on, hoping they turn into solid players. 

I get the idea but we could use 150 scholarships so maybe find 50 to actually play.  The top tier will still get their fill of elite players. The reason we take walkons is to find the rare but vital diamonds in the rough and create good practice stations, drills, competitive rooms etc. Many walkons became 5 star level players.  The 93 county ‘scholarships’ brought in a lot of tough, hard workin farm boys historically.   

I don’t see the elite tier teams keeping more than about 85 guys in the days of the portal.  There is plenty of PT available for top level talent in Lincoln though.  

2 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

How about we just have everyone walk-on and they can make their money off of their NIL deals to pay for college.  

:dunno  :D

I am half joking.

Yes.  They don’t need to be students either.   That takes care of all that academic BS.  They’re professionals anyway.  

I like how people have flipped in the last two weeks from saying Smothers will transfer soon to saying Purdy will transfer soon. Especially since it's mostly just because Purdy was injured and hasn't seen much action this spring. I mean I imagine one of them will probably transfer at some point, but it's a little early to say which.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Toe said:

I like how people have flipped in the last two weeks from saying Smothers will transfer soon to saying Purdy will transfer soon. Especially since it's mostly just because Purdy was injured and hasn't seen much action this spring. I mean I imagine one of them will probably transfer at some point, but it's a little early to say which.

My favorite is people saying Torres will transfer. He's been here since January and just graduated high school.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, Toe said:

Anyone saying Purdy is gonna transfer soon doesn’t seem like somebody worth listening to.

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Pola-Gates
Smothers
Stepp
Newsom
Wildeman
Conn
Lynn
Hardy

Can't argue with any of these really. I thought Smothers might stick it out but I have a feeling Purdy will be the #2 guy by fall. I think the only other one close to sniffing the field is Pola-Gates but it seems like he's going to get passed up again. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Pola-Gates
Smothers
Stepp
Newsom
Wildeman
Conn
Lynn
Hardy

I would take out Newsom. Replace with Weaver. Would also add Tyreek Johnson and maybe Malcom. Hardy seems like the least likely to leave of the 3 frosh WR. Maybe Lynum. I’m sure there are more in forgetting. I think near 10 transfers may be what we see. Need to trim some fat for sure. 

• Plus1 1