What Players Leave After The Season?

BIG ERN

3 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Winners win. Ameer looked great, but had some ball handling snafu’s. Rex was behind Helu and almost eclipsed 1000 yards - to go along with both Helu and T-Magic. 

Ameer as a freshman was head and shoulders above the guys we have now. A lot of that has to do with development. 

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

I hear you but I wholeheartedly  disagree. Ameer and Rex were the real deal right away. So much so that they scared off 5 star talent. 

At this point in their freshman seasons:

Sevy: 30 Carries for 116 Yards and 3 TD

Rex: 29 Carries for 135 Yards and 1 TD

Ameer: 26 Carries for 116 Yards and 2 TD

Just saying its really impossible to judge a kid off of 30 carries as a Freshman...

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Vince R. said:

Ameer as a freshman was head and shoulders above the guys we have now. A lot of that has to do with development. 

I also believe it has a lot to do with talent. How many “hidden” yards did both Rex and Ameer create where they were dead to rights 2-yards in the backfield and found 2-3 yards - or is that coachable? The epitome of Rex - and the team - was driving Iowa on his back in a pile for 8-9 extra yards and a first down. 

I know a lot of people wanted Sevion Morrison to work, but it has been everything but smooth since he got there. From academics, weight gain, injuries, and the lack of development, he needed to be wired a little differently for it all to work out. I think he came in a little overrated but I don't think he lacked talent. What he is right now is a choppy, upright, and unnatural looking running back. For his own sake, it's best he gets a fresh start somewhere else. 

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

At this point in their freshman seasons:

Sevy: 30 Carries for 116 Yards and 3 TD

Rex: 29 Carries for 135 Yards and 1 TD

Ameer: 26 Carries for 116 Yards and 2 TD

Just saying its really impossible to judge a kid off of 30 carries as a Freshman...

Ah man, these stats don't say anything to me. I get it, but turn the tape and watch it. Also, those guys provided a lot more on special teams too. Sevion isn't that good as of right now. He's not horrible, but he was not trending towards that kind of career. 

8 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

I also believe it has a lot to do with talent. How many “hidden” yards did both Rex and Ameer create where they were dead to rights 2-yards in the backfield and found 2-3 yards - or is that coachable? The epitome of Rex - and the team - was driving Iowa on his back in a pile for 8-9 extra yards and a first down. 

I was trying to be nice, because I do not think Ryan Held can develop at all. 

Alright.

I just went back and watched his HS tape and then compared it to some of his playing tape here. 

I will pull back a little on what I said earlier. And that's my mistake. He still is what he is NOW, but dang he looks very unsure of himself at Nebraska. He was much more smooth and had way more agility and balance. What a shame. Good riddance Held. 

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Vince R. said:

Alright.

I just went back and watched his HS tape and then compared it to some of his playing tape here. 

I will pull back a little on what I said earlier. And that's my mistake. He still is what he is NOW, but dang he looks very unsure of himself at Nebraska. He was much more smooth and had way more agility and balance. What a shame. Good riddance Held. 

Yep.  Seeing him play in Tulsa, I've been shocked that he didn't play more at Nebraska.  Some of it is on him - illness and some of it on lack of development. 

I had a funny feeling when Sevy missed the OSU game due to a family issue that something could be brewing.  Still think he is a heck of a back but also feel we didn't get to truly see that as the majority of his touches were early on in the season or when our line truly wasn't run blocking for crap.  This coaching staff smh....

FEQezoIX0AoueCZ?format=jpg&name=large

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Hard for me to take away anything from a Freshman with 30 total carries, really no point in railing on him for that sample size. Rex and Ameer looked pedestrian when they were toting the rock as freshman as well. There is a lot of talent in our RB room, definitely a room where we can afford a transfer. 

No they didn’t.

Rex missed 5 games and was still the second leading rusher on the team as a TRUE freshman. 

Ameer was 2nd Team All-Big Ten and on the All-Freshmen team as a returner as a TRUE freshman. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

No they didn’t.

Rex missed 5 games and was still the second leading rusher on the team as a TRUE freshman. 

Ameer was 2nd Team All-Big Ten and on the All-Freshmen team as a returner as a TRUE freshman. 

Look man, all I’m saying is they all had nearly identical stats through 30 carries. And it’s stupid as hell to think we know what Morrison is after 30 carries. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Here is news from todays presser.  Says what some have thought of Held all along.....Looks like Stepp and Scott mentioned for potential more playing time the last 2 games with Sev out....

Stepp said Brown's resume and who he has coached, like current NFL players like Ameer Abdullah, Rex Burkhead, and Andy Janovich, spoke for itself. He said Held's coaching was geared more around NU's offensive system, but Brown was more of a skills coach

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/five-things-we-learned-from-nu-s-weekly-press-conference-11

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, lo country said:

Here is news from todays presser.  Says what some have thought of Held all along.....Looks like Stepp and Scott mentioned for potential more playing time the last 2 games with Sev out....

Stepp said Brown's resume and who he has coached, like current NFL players like Ameer Abdullah, Rex Burkhead, and Andy Janovich, spoke for itself. He said Held's coaching was geared more around NU's offensive system, but Brown was more of a skills coach

https://nebraska.n.rivals.com/news/five-things-we-learned-from-nu-s-weekly-press-conference-11

Interesting since players like Yant have problems knowing what to do in the system.