Law of Average

tmfr15

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Nebraska ran through 8 coaches in the 20 years before Devaney. I wonder if anyone in the fan base said we should stick with Bill Jennings cause this is our 8th coach in 20 years and it’s not working hiring and firing 

Exactly.   I totally understand the mindset that we should stick with a coach.  I think most everyone has that mindset. But, shouldn't we find a good one first?

17 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

Listening to a lot of people in the media saying that Nebraska made the right choice with Frost because the team is so competitive and close. Then I watch games and specifically the “good” teams that we competed close against. They look pretty average to me. And then I look at the bad losses we’ve had. If you are going to look at the good losses them you have to look at the bad ones. It all adds up to me being pretty skeptical. And that’s without considering the bad coaching in the losses, the lack of player development and some post retention statements by Frost and then just end of with a deep feeling of disappointment. 

As Bill Parcells once said, "you are what your record says you are."

IMO, a lot of people don't like to hear that. They think it lacks nuance or context. I've never looked at it as an absolute but more of a way of thinking. I think good teams find ways to win because sometimes a single win or loss can come down to just a couple of plays. Extrapolate that over the course of a season and it's pretty remarkable how close being 9-3 or 5-7 really is. Nebraska just doesn't play smart enough and they've got the record they earned. So, IMO, they're a 3-win team. Not all 3-win teams are created equal, but if you're a 3-win team, I don't think you're just unlucky or anything like that. I think you earned it.

I think Frost is the fortunate benefactor of a few key breaks that went his way in all this. But he's got his shot and we're just along for the ride.

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I'd say firing the ineffective side of the ball is reasonable middle ground.

I'd have preferred a fresh start across the board, but this was easily my 1b choice. The O, across the board did not help at all.  Don't know how we could be worse next year.  This accounting for the of guys on D. 

6 hours ago, TheSker said:

Before we celebrate too much let’s see who he brings in and if he actually relinquishes play calling. Cause next year might look like the last 4. In case you missed frost telling everyone he still thinks what they are doing works and he is not looking for big changes just new ideas 

6 hours ago, TheSker said:

I was surprised by Lubick.  The WRs seemed fine.  He wasn't the actual OC though. 

Held was a mess.  Heard he was a good recruiter.  Where's all his ballers?

Austin was a mess.  Seemed like he was the guy people were most excited about when they were new hires.

Verduzco owes most of his money to McKenzie Milton.  Biggest fraud NU has hired since Disco Bob.  Seems like a neat guy though.

If it's still Frost's offense next year I don't think letting those four go will make much difference.  I do think the demotion is real, though.  He's not making that OC salary anymore.  Maybe his own hubris will be his downfall.

Maybe the new offensive staff will need 5 years to clean up Frost's mess.   Maybe it's a 6 year rebuild.  It's about more than winning, afterall.  Bowl games are overrated.   Never cared for them myself.

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

I was surprised by Lubick.  The WRs seemed fine.  He wasn't the actual OC though. 

Held was a mess.  Heard he was a good recruiter.  Where's all his ballers?

Austin was a mess.  Seemed like he was the guy people were most excited about when they were new hires.

Verduzco owes most of his money to McKenzie Milton.  Biggest fraud NU has hired since Disco Bob.  Seems like a neat guy though.

If it's still Frost's offense next year I don't think letting those four go will make much difference.  I do think the demotion is real, though.  He's not making that OC salary anymore.  Maybe his own hubris will be his downfall.

Maybe the new offensive staff will need 5 years to clean up Frost's mess.   Maybe it's a 6 year rebuild.  It's about more than winning, afterall.  Bowl games are overrated.   Never cared for them myself.

I just hope when the new AD hot seat list comes out that Alberts is in the top spot and when the chancellor hot seat list comes out that Green is in the top spot.

We need accountability.

• Oh Yeah! 1