Some stats for a 3-7 team

knapplc

11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't get it.  Does this tweet imply that we are better than Norte Dame?  Its not even comparing the same thing.  

Notre Dame will end up playing 2 top 25 teams.  They crushed a Wisconsin team that will probably end up B1G West champs.  Then they lost to an undefeated Cincinnati. 

We will end up playing 6 (not 9) top 25 teams - Oklahoma, Michigan St, Michigan, Ohio St, Wisconsin, and Iowa.  We will win 0, 1, or 2 games vs ranked teams.

And the tweet is also giving us credit for playing a top 25 Purdue but not giving Notre Dame credit for beating a top 25 Purdue.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
56 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I don't get it.  Does this tweet imply that we are better than Norte Dame?  Its not even comparing the same thing.  

Notre Dame will end up playing 2 top 25 teams.  They crushed a Wisconsin team that will probably end up B1G West champs.  Then they lost to an undefeated Cincinnati. 

We will end up playing 6 (not 9) top 25 teams - Oklahoma, Michigan St, Michigan, Ohio St, Wisconsin, and Iowa.  We will win 0, 1, or 2 games vs ranked teams.

And the tweet is also giving us credit for playing a top 25 Purdue but not giving Notre Dame credit for beating a top 25 Purdue.

It's the same mental gymnastics about half the fan base are madly calculating right now to make themselves feel better about reality.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I wonder if you took out the Northwestern game, how badly would some of those good stats drop?

Not directing specifically at you but to all trying to make sense of the situation.  Pretending something didn't happen doesn't make Nebraska better or worse.  People can cherry pick stats to make things look one way or the other but it doesn't solve anything or change that we are a good team with a 3-7 record.  Nebraska has done a lot of things right this year but they did just enough bad things to lose 7 games, 4 or 5 of which they had no business losing.  

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

14 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I know everyone believes that we are magically going to turn things around next year with an easier schedule. The problem is that “difficulty” is relative. Wisconsin was a bad team to start the year and here they are competing for the West conference. Minnesota was an easy opponent and they beat us. Illinois was going to be a sure thing and we lost to them. Purdue was a must win and they ended up beating us and two top ten teams and getting ranked. The issue is Frost himself. While his coaches did not help, he is the one ultimately making the decisions on this team and that has not changed even with the coaching changes. Think about it. Frost decided to go with an injured Martinez in the Minnesota game. We might have won that game if smothers were given a chance. Especially when he had four consecutive shots to take the lead. He then decided to ride Martinez after four interceptions in the Purdue game. These decisions were not Greg Austin’s, Matt Lubick’s, or Verduzco’s. They were Frost’s decisions. 

I completely agree that we are a much better team than our record shows and I am sure many around the country will agree. However, at the end of the day, all that matters is W-L and we are on the bad end of that category. Five years from now, no one will look at this year’s record and say we did great things. The question is will Frost actually point the thumb and realize that he needs to stop being stubborn and start admitting that he is getting out coached and actually get help from some good coaching hires. Otherwise, we will start making excuses for Frost again next year. Let us admit that the task ahead for Frost is extremely difficult and if he can’t pull a miracle these last two games, it will be a sign of bad things to come. I doubt there has ever been another team with these stats sitting at 3-7 and that is all on Frost. 

Someone should let Florida know that Mullen played a tough schedule so it is ok he is losing games. Man have standards dropped around here. When you suck I suppose every schedule seems tough.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
21 hours ago, lo country said:

112th in Red Zone.

Pretty nuts considering the tight ends we have.  By rights, we should be top 10 in redzone offense. 

I certainly wouldn't say spread formations can't work in the redzone.  I've just never understood the logic of spreading out the defense when the field is so small.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Pretty nuts considering the tight ends we have.  By rights, we should be top 10 in redzone offense.

It would be like Tom Brady ignoring his all world TE.  We have several very good, tall and capable TEs - why they aren't utilized more in the red zone is a mystery.  Of course Adrian needs to hit them also - we've had several situations this year when AM has over thrown, under thrown, thrown on a loop, or thrown on a rope when the opposite was needed in the red zone.  AM seems to be better at the hail Mary pass than those 5-15 yard passes. 

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

I certainly wouldn't say spread formations can't work in the redzone.  I've just never understood the logic of spreading out the defense when the field is so small.

Our lack of the TE's in the redzone borders on criminal.  6'8 and 6'6 against a CB.....or LB....

• Plus1 2

I feel like this shouldnt even need to be stated but literally every team in the country has stats that are "skewed" by playing a few really bad teams. I get saying we havent done what was needed to win and that makes us a bad team. I'm sure most can agree on that, but the logic of saying take out the worst teams only works if you do that for every team. We played one of if not the toughest schedule of any team this year so saying we just played some bad teams and thats why our stats look better is either a fundamental misunderstanding of comparative stats or not looking at any schedule outside of our own. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1