Some stats for a 3-7 team

knapplc

A couple stats not on there that have been huge are special teams (returns and coverage and FG%) also takeaways, and in our case give aways per game.

edited to add penalties!

ok did a deeper dive into the stats and the numbers aren’t that bad. But I think the timing of those mistakes were at really crucial times in the game. Turnovers vs Illinois and Purdue lost those games for us.

Penalties cost us in others. Special teams cost us vs MSU as well as that INT in OT.

mixed bag of Mistakes on important plays.

Edited by GlobalHusker
3 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

"You are what your record says you are" is one of the stupidest quotes I've ever heard.

One, because it's...not true. Two, because it's essentially just saying, "You win as many games as you have the higher score than the other team at the end in."

You play to win the game!

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Nobody is going to remember these obscure stats this time next year.  They'll remember the 4-8 record and Smothers' 4th quarter comeback against Iowa, but that's about it.

Exactly. Stats are what fans of teams who suck at football cling to so they can tell themselves we are good at something. Does anyone remember in 2009 who the top offense in the country was? Nope but I know Bama won the Natty. I know we lost in the last second to Texas. People remember relevant teams in relevant games. 

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Exactly. Stats are what fans of teams who suck at football cling to so they can tell themselves we are good at something. Does anyone remember in 2009 who the top offense in the country was? Nope but I know Bama won the Natty. I know we lost in the last second to Texas. People remember relevant teams in relevant games. 

I sure as hell remember Iowa State in 2009 like it was yesterday.  Terrible events can be just as memorable and I definitely will remember some of the more ridiculous stats from this year in decade.

18 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Yeah the 2 time super bowl champion head coach who said that doesn’t know what the hell he is talking about. 

It's more that people who weaponize the quote to shut down conversation of context and nuance regarding how good a team is don't know what the hell they're talking about.

• Plus1 4