Some stats for a 3-7 team

knapplc

2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

True. Our record is what it is too. 3-7. 

Yes, it's the bizarre mismatch of the stats vs the record that's the main point of this thread. If we had worse stats or a better record, then it would be more understandable, but it's crazy that we've managed to lose while putting up those stats (or vice versa).

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Yes, it's the bizarre mismatch of the stats vs the record that's the main point of this thread. If we had worse stats or a better record, then it would be more understandable, but it's crazy that we've managed to lose while putting up those stats (or vice versa).

I hear you. But I remember we were putting up crazy stats in year 1 too and that was another losing record. So maybe it is not that odd. Maybe Frost is good at collecting stats but not scoring or winning games.

• Plus1 1

I know we've had this conversation 69,696,969 times, but here's what I think it all comes down to.

1. Kicking (and punting)

2. Red zone playcalling (affected by #1)

3. Two-minute offense

The kicking aspect of our special teams has cost us at least two games on its own. Our redzone woes are due in very large part to not being able to trust a kicker. Too many times we had to go for it on 4th in a situation where we shouldn't have, and walked away with nothing. And Frost/Martinez have, as far as I can tell, never once successfully operated a 2 minute offense.

We have other problems and deficiencies, but those three are a lethal combo that keeps us from winning games.

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I hear you. But I remember we were putting up crazy stats in year 1 too and that was another losing record. So maybe it is not that odd. Maybe Frost is good at collecting stats but not scoring or winning games.

Our defense wasn't putting up stats in year 1 even close to what we're putting up this year. I'm curious what other teams over the years have had a similar season with being so close in every game but losing most or all of them. Can't think of a similar team off the top of my head.

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

There is nothing bizarre about the stats and our record, far to many times we had inopportune mistakes that resulted in our W/L record. That speaks to a discipline problem which should have been addressed by the coaching staff but apparently it's still an ongoing issue.

Weirdly (which is the point of this thread) we're able to rack up those stats before we get to crunch time, at which point we make those inopportune mistakes.

We're disciplined enough for about 55 minutes per game (or so). But closing out... nope. Can't do that.

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

There is nothing bizarre about the stats and our record, far to many times we had inopportune mistakes that resulted in our W/L record. That speaks to a discipline problem which should have been addressed by the coaching staff but apparently it's still an ongoing issue.

You really don't see how weird it is for a team to have better stats in most categories than their opponents and yet be 3-7? Take a look at the OP.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Exactly.  Nobody is saying our record is wonderful or something we all should be proud of.  But, if you can take the emotions and frustration out.  The stats compared to our record is very interesting and crazy.

• Plus1 2

4 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

We might be 3-7, but we're a god damn 3-7 squad that no one wants to play.

We might be down on the record but we're #1 in heart babbyyyyyyyyy

I would argue almost everyone would like to play us. No matter how bad of a day they have we will find a way to play just slightly lower than their output for the day, giving almost all P5 teams a win