Underwhelmed

3 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So even though we have more talent than 10 of the 12 teams we play next year. Many of you are ok winning 6 games? So you are saying you are good losing against 4 inferior teams in year 5? Not me. Oklahoma and Michigan are the only 2 programs who have outrecruited us in the Frost Era.

You should take a peek at what Alberts said on the radio this week about these "inferior" B1G teams.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I'm genuinely surprised at the volume of people who think Scott coaching this team to six wins and a bowl game next season 'won't be good enough,' intimating that he'll lose his job or should lose his job for that result.

At least six wins and an automatic bowl berth for the first time since what... 2016? I realize in the context of it being year five that this is too little progress vs. the expectations... but I guess I'm nowhere near as ready as some of you to say that would be it for him. We'd just be trading stupidity jabs with ourselves in the eyes of college football. Instead of firing coaches after a few years, we give a coach five years to build a program, he finally gets to a bowl game, and then we're like "lol not good enough bye."

OK.

Well we're speculating on a season that hasn't been played, but that six win season would also come with six losses, and looking at next year's schedule that would mean some pretty disheartening losses. If it's enough to get us to a minor bowl game -- where Nebraska loses -- college football would understand the Huskers moving on from the Scott Frost era. They seemed a bit surprised when he kept his job this year.

I mean, Tulane went to a bowl game last year. 

The math changes a bit  if we are making big leaps in recruiting. That needs to start really really soon. 

8 minutes ago, TheSker said:

You should take a peek at what Alberts said on the radio this week about these "inferior" B1G teams.

Facts are facts. We outrecruit 10 of 12 teams on next years schedule pretty handily. It is all excuses from there. If you have more talent and still lose it means you are getting outcoached. Decision gets pretty easy then. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Facts are facts. We outrecruit 10 of 12 teams on next years schedule pretty handily. It is all excuses from there. If you have more talent and still lose it means you are getting outcoached. Decision gets pretty easy then. 

That's one fact.

There are other factors.

You probably won't want to hear what Alberts had to say.  You'd put Albert's on the hot seat.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
Just now, TheSker said:

That's one fact.

There are other factors.

You probably won't want to hear what Alberts had to say.  You'd put Albert's on the hot seat.

Correct, there are other factors aside from player recruitment.  Fundamentally, and for starters, we are the inferior team in the league.  Second, we do not develop players any longer and I am not referring to the nutrition / strength & conditioning programs.  Players are unable to line up, unable to block, unable to run routes, unable to run to daylight, unable to possess the ball, unable to avoid interceptions, unable to punt, unable to kick, etc.

Finally, I have believed for some time that the team possesses a true inferiority complex.  Routinely, when other teams meet the challenges presented during game action, our team folds.  The trend line on this is established and clear.  Boards such as this spend hours debating the latest tactical blunders in the most recent game when in point of fact, it is now engrained as part of our program's culture.  

Hey, were are not Iowa, or Wisconsin, or Minnesota.  We are Illinois and we are battling to stay our of the basement.  Our game with Illinois should be for a bronze toilet brush, but the loser has to take it home with them.  That is who we are and have been for a while.

Don't give me the "we are close" crap.  The only thing that matters in the the word close is the second letter, "L", for loss.  

If HCSF hires well, fixes the little things, and builds a winning culture?  Then maybe we can compete.  The only thing we are close to right now is obscurity.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
35 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

So even though we have more talent than 10 of the 12 teams we play next year. Many of you are ok winning 6 games? So you are saying you are good losing against 4 inferior teams in year 5? Not me. Oklahoma and Michigan are the only 2 programs who have outrecruited us in the Frost Era.

There's a difference between what people would be "OK" with vs. what would help Frost keep his job. Those are not identical measurements or ways of looking at things.

I'm nowhere near as confident as some people that think Frost getting to six wins and an automatic bowl berth for the first time since 2016 would result in his firing, or even should result in his firing. Am I "OK" with six and a bowl? I mean... no? Obviously I think the program should be beyond where it is right now.

But, the optics of firing Frost after that result would be hysterical... and not in a good way.

• Plus1 2
41 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well we're speculating on a season that hasn't been played, but that six win season would also come with six losses, and looking at next year's schedule that would mean some pretty disheartening losses. If it's enough to get us to a minor bowl game -- where Nebraska loses -- college football would understand the Huskers moving on from the Scott Frost era. They seemed a bit surprised when he kept his job this year.

I mean, Tulane went to a bowl game last year. 

The math changes a bit  if we are making big leaps in recruiting. That needs to start really really soon. 

I don't necessarily disagree, but what I'm primarily getting at is there are several factors that will go into whether or not Frost keeps his job. Six wins and a bowl loss might be it, but it might not. One person here thinks six or seven wins means Frost won't be coaching at the bowl game i.e. he'd be fired before the bowl game. If that happened, that would be at or near the top of comically stupid things this athletic department has done in the last 20 years.

And, even if it's a tough pill to swallow, getting to a bowl game would be a pretty significant accomplishment for this program. Imagine if they get six wins and suffer a bowl loss next year. What's the expectation for the new guy? Bowl or bust? A couple years of being bowl ineligible again?

Naturally, there are tons of scenarios that could play out.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Correct, there are other factors aside from player recruitment.  Fundamentally, and for starters, we are the inferior team in the league.  Second, we do not develop players any longer and I am not referring to the nutrition / strength & conditioning programs.  Players are unable to line up, unable to block, unable to run routes, unable to run to daylight, unable to possess the ball, unable to avoid interceptions, unable to punt, unable to kick, etc.

Finally, I have believed for some time that the team possesses a true inferiority complex.  Routinely, when other teams meet the challenges presented during game action, our team folds.  The trend line on this is established and clear.  Boards such as this spend hours debating the latest tactical blunders in the most recent game when in point of fact, it is now engrained as part of our program's culture.  

I agree on the inferiority complex notion.  Either the new coordinator and assistants will give us signs that this and the consistent execution of the basic fundamentals mentioned above are improving in 2022, or they won't and that will be it.  I think we'll get a good idea by October 1 which way this is going to go. 

4 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

It's 9 out of 12 now,  OU, UM and UW, as Wisconsin has eclipsed us in star rankings.

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/?Conference=Big-Ten

3 hours ago, TheSker said:

That too many people look through a 1993 lens and that in 2021 all B1G teams have elite coaches, facilities and resources.

I never debated that they don’t have those things. But talent and coaching wins games. If we have the advantage in talent then we are getting out coached. In game and preparing for the game. Preparing in the offseason. You name it