Other Crappy Teams

10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

They say misery loves company. 

No one here is suggesting the Husker's aren't in a bad way, but there are plenty of teams with long football legacies, recruiting advantages and deep pockets that are agitating fans and spoiling for change.

How about the state of Florida?

Florida State is  4-6 and haven't been a factor in a relatively weak conference, much less the national conversation

Miami is 5-5 in what was supposed to be their up year

Florida is 5-5 and its coaching staff is officially on hot seats

This was supposed to be Iowa State's breakthrough year. 6-4 isn't bad, but suddenly it looks like that's the ceiling for the program. 

Tennessee is 5-5 in a conference where they can be -- at best -- a spoiler.

Penn State is 6-4 and appears trending downward. Just like that, there's grumbling about Franklin's long term viability.

Would you rather be 4-6 Texas right now, having just lost to Kansas in Austin? Not me. 

Washington has high expectations every year, and this year they are 4-6 and just fired their coach of 1.75 years.

Stanford has a great coach running a great system that reminds some Nebraska fans of vintage Nebraska, but they are 3-7 in a weak Pac 12.

Did someone say weak Pac 12? That would include a 4-5 USC team with every conceivable advantage looking totally lost.

They're grudgingly conceding Chip Kelly's 6-4 UCLA team as an improvement, but he's failed to wow anyone given the talent and facilities he took over. 

For that matter, our old Big 12 running mate Colorado is 3-7, settling into its role as the Pac 12 doormat. 

And LSU is 4-6, having fired its HC less than two years removed from an undefeated NC.

Now do you feel better?

There are other universities with resources and deep pockets?

• Haha 3
58 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

They say misery loves company. 

No one here is suggesting the Husker's aren't in a bad way, but there are plenty of teams with long football legacies, recruiting advantages and deep pockets that are agitating fans and spoiling for change.

How about the state of Florida?

Florida State is  4-6 and haven't been a factor in a relatively weak conference, much less the national conversation

Miami is 5-5 in what was supposed to be their up year

Florida is 5-5 and its coaching staff is officially on hot seats

This was supposed to be Iowa State's breakthrough year. 6-4 isn't bad, but suddenly it looks like that's the ceiling for the program. 

Tennessee is 5-5 in a conference where they can be -- at best -- a spoiler.

Penn State is 6-4 and appears trending downward. Just like that, there's grumbling about Franklin's long term viability.

Would you rather be 4-6 Texas right now, having just lost to Kansas in Austin? Not me. 

Washington has high expectations every year, and this year they are 4-6 and just fired their coach of 1.75 years.

Stanford has a great coach running a great system that reminds some Nebraska fans of vintage Nebraska, but they are 3-7 in a weak Pac 12.

Did someone say weak Pac 12? That would include a 4-5 USC team with every conceivable advantage looking totally lost.

They're grudgingly conceding Chip Kelly's 6-4 UCLA team as an improvement, but he's failed to wow anyone given the talent and facilities he took over. 

For that matter, our old Big 12 running mate Colorado is 3-7, settling into its role as the Pac 12 doormat. 

And LSU is 4-6, having fired its HC less than two years removed from an undefeated NC.

Now do you feel better?

But how many of those teams have seen a bowl game or .500 record the last four years???  SO no, I don't feel better

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

Naw doesn’t make me feel better.

well maybe Texas being inept AF does lol

the state of Florida thing is so baffling, one maybe 2 of those teams down is pretty head scratching but all 3?

for what it’s worth- Id take Stanford’s season over us, at least they have a big win with that upset of Oregon. Tho I’d also point out stanford doesn’t belong in that group of schools- never was a power house and most likely never will be unless they strike gold with a harbaugh type hire again

Nothing will change the disappointing past but I do agree, looking around at our historical peers can provide some understanding.  College football today is more difficult than it ever has been.  People who are really good at their jobs, with the best of intentions, are failing at an all time rate.  

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Nothing will change the disappointing past but I do agree, looking around at our historical peers can provide some understanding.  College football today is more difficult than it ever has been.  People who are really good at their jobs, with the best of intentions, are failing at an all time rate.  

Gonna be real nice when saban hangs it up

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

12 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Well said, I completely agree.

Lance Leipold might even do the unthinkable, and get KU to 5 wins in 3 years, and a bowl game in 5 years.  That's a tough job, but you never know how things will pan out.

13 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I totally understand the purpose of the post and agree to some extent. 

However, including Iowa State doesn’t make the point at all. They are a historical doormat. 

ISU had their best team ever, started in the top 10 and were a darkhorse to make the playoffs.  

They currently have 4 losses with two more on the way.  Basically could be a historic collapse for a team that started where they did.

It is not like they lost to powerhouses either.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

ISU had their best team ever, started in the top 10 and were a darkhorse to make the playoffs.  

They currently have 4 losses with two more on the way.  Basically could be a historic collapse for a team that started where they did.

It is not like they lost to powerhouses either.

Yeah, the moment was too big.

Unfortunately, I think that's what our problem has been too.  Doesn't matter if it's big game competition or those easy games we play down too.  The moment is too big for Nebraska, and we can't get over the top.  We need to step on those teams, take over, and punch them in the neck.  Walk away with the victory.  Sadly when you can't, then the moment is too big. 

• Oh Yeah! 1