Other Crappy Teams

On 11/15/2021 at 4:47 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

They say misery loves company. 

No one here is suggesting the Husker's aren't in a bad way, but there are plenty of teams with long football legacies, recruiting advantages and deep pockets that are agitating fans and spoiling for change.

How about the state of Florida?

Florida State is  4-6 and haven't been a factor in a relatively weak conference, much less the national conversation

Miami is 5-5 in what was supposed to be their up year

Florida is 5-5 and its coaching staff is officially on hot seats

This was supposed to be Iowa State's breakthrough year. 6-4 isn't bad, but suddenly it looks like that's the ceiling for the program. 

Tennessee is 5-5 in a conference where they can be -- at best -- a spoiler.

Penn State is 6-4 and appears trending downward. Just like that, there's grumbling about Franklin's long term viability.

Would you rather be 4-6 Texas right now, having just lost to Kansas in Austin? Not me. 

Washington has high expectations every year, and this year they are 4-6 and just fired their coach of 1.75 years.

Stanford has a great coach running a great system that reminds some Nebraska fans of vintage Nebraska, but they are 3-7 in a weak Pac 12.

Did someone say weak Pac 12? That would include a 4-5 USC team with every conceivable advantage looking totally lost.

They're grudgingly conceding Chip Kelly's 6-4 UCLA team as an improvement, but he's failed to wow anyone given the talent and facilities he took over. 

For that matter, our old Big 12 running mate Colorado is 3-7, settling into its role as the Pac 12 doormat. 

And LSU is 4-6, having fired its HC less than two years removed from an undefeated NC.

Now do you feel better?

Texas lost at home to Kansas! Let that sink in! All those 5 stars, facilities and money. Comes down to coaching folks. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
15 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

Texas lost at home to Kansas! Let that sink in! All those 5 stars, facilities and money. Comes down to coaching folks. 

Wouldn't it be ironic if we hire their former HC, Herman, as our  OC and he turns us around in one year while Texas goes deeper into the crapper. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Wouldn't it be ironic if we hire their former HC, Herman, as our  OC and he turns us around in one year while Texas goes deeper into the crapper. 

That would be a hoot!  

On the flip side, I'm sure Texas fans would be saying, "wouldn't it be ironic if Nebraska hires our former HC, Herman, as their OC and he flames them downward deeper into the crapper."  Ha ha.

19 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Let's face it, we would have been pretty upbeat if we'd had Indiana's 2018, 2019, and 2020 seasons under Tom Allen. Definitely felt like the program was building towards something. Now they're at the bottom of the Big10, looking up at Nebraska. 

Consistency is a b!^@h. 

Difference is, Indiana and Iowa State are familiar with the bottom. I'd like to get out of there quickly, before we get too comfortable. 

Now you'd never call #8 Michigan a crappy team, but if Jim Harbaugh loses to Michigan State and Ohio State this year, his homeboy splash hire will be considered a failure by most of the Michigan faithful.

You know Indiana's basketball team has mirrored NU football for a long time.  5 national Championships 3 by the most iconic coach in their history.  Said icon leaves the program and things go down hill pretty quickly.  Both played for their last Nat championship in 2000/2001.  Hired and fired a few coaches (4) until they hired a former player (scott frost and mike woodson) who played for the former icon head coach.  last time playing for a big 10 championship 2012/2016.  Fans are pretty similar as in they are impatient and long for they days of Ole.  I don't think blue bloods ever truly become comfortable at the bottom.  IU has missed the tournament the last few years but their fans still come out and support them like crazy.  IU just won its first two games and some fans think they have returned to glory.  Being a Nebraska football fan I am not so quick to make that claim.  Although nebraska's record is not good I don't think they are crappy.  I would much rather watch this team than any of Mike Riley's or the first 3 teams Frost has feilded.

• Plus1 2

We see so many former blue chip programs that are failing miserably the last few years. I’m wondering if some of the blame can be laid at the feet of this generation of recruits. There are still quality hard nosed players but are there fewer of them than in the past? Do the Alabama, Ohio St and the Georgia’s of the world grab the few that are coming out of high school. Have the safety protocols implemented by the NCAA limited a players desire to rarely come out of a game. How many times do we see a RB or WR tap his helmet and come out of a game after only being in for a few minutes? I’m not saying safety shouldn’t be paramount as we now better understand what hit after hit can do to a player over time. If fewer kids are playing football and drifting to sports with less contact that should mean fewer teams have the depth necessary to withstand the rigors of a long season, especially if they have injuries to a key player. Are we already seeing the future of college football where only a few teams can attract the quality and quantity of players to have success for 14 or 15 games a season? 

2 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

We see so many former blue chip programs that are failing miserably the last few years. I’m wondering if some of the blame can be laid at the feet of this generation of recruits. There are still quality hard nosed players but are there fewer of them than in the past? Do the Alabama, Ohio St and the Georgia’s of the world grab the few that are coming out of high school. Have the safety protocols implemented by the NCAA limited a players desire to rarely come out of a game. How many times do we see a RB or WR tap his helmet and come out of a game after only being in for a few minutes? I’m not saying safety shouldn’t be paramount as we now better understand what hit after hit can do to a player over time. If fewer kids are playing football and drifting to sports with less contact that should mean fewer teams have the depth necessary to withstand the rigors of a long season, especially if they have injuries to a key player. Are we already seeing the future of college football where only a few teams can attract the quality and quantity of players to have success for 14 or 15 games a season? 

This is a good thought.  I have been wondering if eventually football will start to fade like that because parents are steering their kids to other sports without all the risk for head injuries.  Some will still play of course while it is a thing, but the numbers will be less.  This would make the talent pool watered down like you said.

• Plus1 2