Other Crappy Teams

3 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

We see so many former blue chip programs that are failing miserably the last few years. I’m wondering if some of the blame can be laid at the feet of this generation of recruits. There are still quality hard nosed players but are there fewer of them than in the past? Do the Alabama, Ohio St and the Georgia’s of the world grab the few that are coming out of high school. Have the safety protocols implemented by the NCAA limited a players desire to rarely come out of a game. How many times do we see a RB or WR tap his helmet and come out of a game after only being in for a few minutes? I’m not saying safety shouldn’t be paramount as we now better understand what hit after hit can do to a player over time. If fewer kids are playing football and drifting to sports with less contact that should mean fewer teams have the depth necessary to withstand the rigors of a long season, especially if they have injuries to a key player. Are we already seeing the future of college football where only a few teams can attract the quality and quantity of players to have success for 14 or 15 games a season? 

I think talent was better spread out in the time before recruiting services. Now if you're a tier 1 guy you go to one of the 5 or so NFL factories, it's a proven model. If you're not one of the 5 NFL factories, then you fight for the tier 2 and 3 guys with ALL the other schools. Such an even playing field for all the schools fighting for the NFL factorie's scraps too. Everyone has 10+ games on TV, everyone has insane facilities, everyone has NFL scout visibility. I wouldn't say its a lack of quality players, but a concentration of quality players at the top few schools. 

3 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

We see so many former blue chip programs that are failing miserably the last few years. I’m wondering if some of the blame can be laid at the feet of this generation of recruits. There are still quality hard nosed players but are there fewer of them than in the past? Do the Alabama, Ohio St and the Georgia’s of the world grab the few that are coming out of high school. Have the safety protocols implemented by the NCAA limited a players desire to rarely come out of a game. How many times do we see a RB or WR tap his helmet and come out of a game after only being in for a few minutes? I’m not saying safety shouldn’t be paramount as we now better understand what hit after hit can do to a player over time. If fewer kids are playing football and drifting to sports with less contact that should mean fewer teams have the depth necessary to withstand the rigors of a long season, especially if they have injuries to a key player. Are we already seeing the future of college football where only a few teams can attract the quality and quantity of players to have success for 14 or 15 games a season? 

Might be talking about a couple different things here. There are more less-violent sports competing for the best athletes, and there are more good college football programs competing for the best football players. Concussion protocols are temporarily sidelining players who normally would have played through, but that doesn't feel like a Blue Chip problem. I mean, the teams that are failing miserably are losing to teams that do better with the same limitations. WRs have always tended to be primadonnas, but weirdly enough I think QBs are tougher than ever. Defenses are still loaded with badasses. 

But I get what you're saying about depth. That seems to be injuries in general. I've heard the theory that today's athletes have gotten bigger, faster and stronger through advancements in training and dietary supplements, but things like joints, ligaments and bones aren't coming along for the ride. The bigger, more muscular athletes of today are breaking down easier. You see it in the NFL, NBA and MLB, too. 

8 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Might be talking about a couple different things here. There are more less-violent sports competing for the best athletes, and there are more good college football programs competing for the best football players. Concussion protocols are temporarily sidelining players who normally would have played through, but that doesn't feel like a Blue Chip problem. I mean, the teams that are failing miserably are losing to teams that do better with the same limitations. WRs have always tended to be primadonnas, but weirdly enough I think QBs are tougher than ever. Defenses are still loaded with badasses. 

But I get what you're saying about depth. That seems to be injuries in general. I've heard the theory that today's athletes have gotten bigger, faster and stronger through advancements in training and dietary supplements, but things like joints, ligaments and bones aren't coming along for the ride. The bigger, more muscular athletes of today are breaking down easier. You see it in the NFL, NBA and MLB, too. 

Great points about today’s athletes getting bigger and stronger than their joints can withstand. I had that discussion this summer with the family of a high school senior who did an intense program of lifting to get from 175 his junior year to nearly 200 lbs this past football season. He was a RB and came through the season ok.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:26 AM, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

You know Indiana's basketball team has mirrored NU football for a long time.  5 national Championships 3 by the most iconic coach in their history.  Said icon leaves the program and things go down hill pretty quickly.  Both played for their last Nat championship in 2000/2001.  Hired and fired a few coaches (4) until they hired a former player (scott frost and mike woodson) who played for the former icon head coach.  last time playing for a big 10 championship 2012/2016.  Fans are pretty similar as in they are impatient and long for they days of Ole.  I don't think blue bloods ever truly become comfortable at the bottom.  IU has missed the tournament the last few years but their fans still come out and support them like crazy.  IU just won its first two games and some fans think they have returned to glory.  Being a Nebraska football fan I am not so quick to make that claim.  Although nebraska's record is not good I don't think they are crappy.  I would much rather watch this team than any of Mike Riley's or the first 3 teams Frost has feilded.

I always wondered if Kansas fans actually feel a lot like Nebraska fans, except flipped. They use basketball as their measure and ignore the sport where they've been traditionally awful. 

52 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I always wondered if Kansas fans actually feel a lot like Nebraska fans, except flipped. They use basketball as their measure and ignore the sport where they've been traditionally awful. 

probably.  Much like Duke and NC.  Although NC has fielded a few good teams in football.  The people in NC don't really care about either one of those schools football team.  I haven't even heard anyone talking about wake forest. Not a lot of schools excel at basketball and football for some reason.  I can think of a few off the top of my head but its not like they are both on the same level all the time.