Frost and AM talking about 2022

lo country

Honest question on the QB situation.  Take away the OL and the common denominator through 4 years and no serviceable back-up or starter (depending on view) and we are left with 2 options.  Crappy Verduzco or scheme/play calling.  I'll use scheme/play calling as the same issue. We are in year 4 and again, no serviceable back up and an error prone starter.  I blame a lot of issues on the QB whisperer.  But we also, for 4 years, have never been able to scheme to hide any OL flaws.  With the "whisperer" gone (YES!) and a new OC coming in, I expect QB play to improve regardless of OL play.  It might not translate to more wins, but I think people will notice a difference with an OC that scheme to assist an OL and a QB coach who can actually develop a QB.  I am hoping for a "home run" hire.  If not, wash, rinse, and repeat...

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

Taylor and Adrian, maybe Tommy as well, are all better throwers than Frazier, Frost, Crouch, Lord etc. were.

That's part of what's crazy about how so many fans are overly critical about Adrian as if a major part of our program's history and identity isn't quarterbacks that weren't good at throwing.

Well said, I totally agree.

And I'd also bet that a good cross-section of those fans are probably the same ones that think we'd just automatically go 7-5 or better next year if we "went back to the triple option."

Which is a completely dumb assertion.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

Nice guy, great individual, bad quarterback. Keep him on as a GA or something if you want him on the team so bad, but this guys days of playing QB are done. Bad OLine or not, I've seen him have 6 seconds in the pocket before and still make bad throws and decisions as as 4 year starting QB. 

Heck of an athlete but making QB decisions he is awful. A 4 year starter should know to not run out of bounds for a 3-4 yard loss and just throw the ball away, not AM though. This year in multiple games he ran out of bounds for loss instead of throwing the ball away, that is Pop Warner level crap.

When driving for a win with under 2 minutes to go once the QB gets the first down they should go to the ground right away and not fight for one extra yard. All that trying to get extra yardage does is burn time off the clock and risk a fumble. A 4 year starter should know that but what does AM do....That is junior high level crap. 

His football IQ and situational awareness is horrible. 

C

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, lo country said:

Honest question on the QB situation.  Take away the OL and the common denominator through 4 years and no serviceable back-up or starter (depending on view) and we are left with 2 options.  Crappy Verduzco or scheme/play calling.  I'll use scheme/play calling as the same issue. We are in year 4 and again, no serviceable back up and an error prone starter.  I blame a lot of issues on the QB whisperer.  But we also, for 4 years, have never been able to scheme to hide any OL flaws.  With the "whisperer" gone (YES!) and a new OC coming in, I expect QB play to improve regardless of OL play.  It might not translate to more wins, but I think people will notice a difference with an OC that scheme to assist an OL and a QB coach who can actually develop a QB.  I am hoping for a "home run" hire.  If not, wash, rinse, and repeat...

What’s  the “honest question” again?

6 minutes ago, solesrfr said:

When driving for a win with under 2 minutes to go once the QB gets the first down they should go to the ground right away and not fight for one extra yard. All that trying to get extra yardage does is burn time off the clock and risk a fumble. A 4 year starter should know that but what does AM do....That is junior high level crap. 

Or our defense could have just snuffed out their TE delay that kept moving the ball down the field after we were ahead.

Putting the Michigan loss on Martinez is probably pretty unfair.

But I can't argue that it would have been much better if he had just gone down. Maybe he didn't know he was past the marker, not sure.

17 minutes ago, lo country said:

Haha.  I guess I answered my own.  AM has some issues, but IMO, he got worse under Verduzco and play calling didnt help him out.  

It is funny in a sad way to think that AM - who missed his senior year in HS, had his best year as a Freshman - and it was down hill from there.  While he continued to pile up yards he still retained freshman decision making and turnovers.  I think he had great potential but racking up all of the yards in this system wasn't the same as reaching his potential.  He has a lot of natural talent and it showed in his running and at times in his passing.  It always seemed that he was better at throwing the long ball instead of those finesse type passes - this is where good coaching could have helped him.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Or our defense could have just snuffed out their TE delay that kept moving the ball down the field after we were ahead.

Putting the Michigan loss on Martinez is probably pretty unfair.

But I can't argue that it would have been much better if he had just gone down. Maybe he didn't know he was past the marker, not sure.

Oh, I am not putting the loss 100% on him at all. I was just using that as one of many examples where his situational awareness completely failed.  And if he did not realize he got the first it is another example of his slow blinking. 

I think maybe he feels he needs to put it all on his shoulders causing him to try and do more than he needs to.

C

9 minutes ago, solesrfr said:

Oh, I am not putting the loss 100% on him at all. I was just using that as one of many examples where his situational awareness completely failed.  And if he did not realize he got the first it is another example of his slow blinking. 

I think maybe he feels he needs to put it all on his shoulders causing him to try and do more than he needs to.

I hear you.

And I'm starting to think that the bold is as much Frost's fault as Adrian's, probably.

• Plus1 2

He's played through a lot.  This year, what?  Broken jaw, high ankle sprain.  Been in a ton of heartbreaking games.  It would take one tough mf, both mentally and physically, to even think about coming back. I would respect him for it.  I would wish him the best if he moved on.  You ultimately have to do what's best for you.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, lo country said:

Haha.  I guess I answered my own.  AM has some issues, but IMO, he got worse under Verduzco and play calling didnt help him out.  

Thats fair. I still hold opinion that he isn’t a good passing QB and is negligent with protecting the football. I don’t understand why Frost has tied himself to him this fiercely without finding another QB worthy to compete for the starting job, let alone back him up when he’s hurt. If a healthy Smothers is no better than a banged up AM, then what is he doing? Those are issues I have with coaching.

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

It is funny in a sad way to think that AM - who missed his senior year in HS, had his best year as a Freshman - and it was down hill from there.  While he continued to pile up yards he still retained freshman decision making and turnovers.  I think he had great potential but racking up all of the yards in this system wasn't the same as reaching his potential.  He has a lot of natural talent and it showed in his running and at times in his passing.  It always seemed that he was better at throwing the long ball instead of those finesse type passes - this is where good coaching could have helped him.  

Or, the line in front of him and his receivers went to s#!t making him look worse

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Thats fair. I still hold opinion that he isn’t a good passing QB and is negligent with protecting the football. I don’t understand why Frost has tied himself to him this fiercely without finding another QB worthy to compete for the starting job, let alone back him up when he’s hurt. If a healthy Smothers is no better than a banged up AM, then what is he doing? Those are issues I have with coaching.

This is a HUGE red flag to me regardless of staff.  How in year 4 do we trot out a guy with a broken jaw and high ankle sprain over several scholarship guys who have been in the system for the past 2 years....And then, as the HC, you see no progress and you don't hit the portal.  They are so tied at the hip, that I wonder if Frost hasn't pursued another legit QB to continue to give AM 100% of his support and not "get into his head".