Frost and AM talking about 2022

lo country

13 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

True. But now you’re making me realize that Bo also recruited Cody Green, Brion Carnes, Bubba, Jamal Turner, then finally TA.

Frost has been just as depressing when it comes to developing competition and depth. Outside of Gebbia, the other QB departures or rejection are on Frost and that is where we are left with a 3rd string QB as our backup. That’s not a knock against Smothers, just reality. 

None of this means I don’t want Frost as the coach, just where I’m frustrated with the state of the program.

Is part of our problem, dating to Bo and Riley, that we don't recruit/develop depth to push the starter.  Too lazy to look, but how many other schools have starters for 3/4 yeras.  Tmart, TA and AM......That's a lot of starts over like 12 years......Unsure how many other schools have started that few of guys over the same period.  Throw in a guy who is the starter as a soph, who wants to come and sit behind "that guy" for 3 years.

I'm a firm believer in backup quarterbacks knowing the plays. That not negotiable. Just running the quarterback keeper or faking a pass and scrambling every time is not acceptable. You have to be wicked smart to be accepted to a prestigious school like UNL, so there's no excuse for not knowing the 10 play playbook.

5 hours ago, lo country said:

Too lazy to look, but how many other schools have starters for 3/4 yeras. 

A lot of them do. Backup quarterbacks don't stick around in this day and age. Look at the top 50 programs this year and almost every quarterback will either be

A. In their 3rd+ year starting, or

B. A transfer from a school with a QB in their 3rd+ year starting, or

C. A freshman or sophomore who will start for 3/4 years (unless they leave for the NFL early).

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

A lot of them do. Backup quarterbacks don't stick around in this day and age. Look at the top 50 programs this year and almost every quarterback will either be

A. In their 3rd+ year starting, or

B. A transfer from a school with a QB in their 3rd+ year starting, or

C. A freshman or sophomore who will start for 3/4 years (unless they leave for the NFL early).

Yeah but how many of them have the last name Martinez and seem to get progressively worse throughout their career? 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I'm a firm believer in backup quarterbacks knowing the plays. That not negotiable. Just running the quarterback keeper or faking a pass and scrambling every time is not acceptable. You have to be wicked smart to be accepted to a prestigious school like UNL, so there's no excuse for not knowing the 10 play playbook.

Uh... what??? 

• Haha 1

We know 2AM will talk about the future after the season.  After the Minnesota game I felt he was done with football after this season.  He's had a full career, has always been injured throughout his career, this year playing with broken jaw and high ankle sprain.  He's received a lot of good love from the Husker faithful, but also a lot of hate and blame.  Even after games, the media have asked him tough, direct questions about his blunders, turnovers, decisions, etc... and the young fella stands tall, takes the blame, and admits to those costly things.  

It's quite possible these are his final 2 games (IMO).  I will be supportive as I have been since day 1, and cheering him on.  And I hope he kicks Wisky's a$$, and then Iowa's. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Uh... what??? 

Our next offensive assistants have to make sure the backup quarterbacks know how to run more plays than what Scrambles McCaffrey showed. If the starter goes down I don't want to hear the excuse that he's only a backup with limited reps or that he's a fast blinker who just likes to do it all himself by running like the dickens.
I'm hoping the message board experts will acknowledge the folly in that plan before the next time they start ganging up and demanding idiotic changes. I guess I just like the old school way of having somebody like Berringer or Vedral ready to go if the starter goes out.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Our next offensive assistants have to make sure the backup quarterbacks know how to run more plays than what Scrambles McCaffrey showed. If the starter goes down I don't want to hear the excuse that he's only a backup with limited reps or that he's a fast blinker who just likes to do it all himself by running like the dickens.
I'm hoping the message board experts will acknowledge the folly in that plan before the next time they start ganging up and demanding idiotic changes. I guess I just like the old school way of having somebody like Berringer or Vedral ready to go if the starter goes out.

Haha, sorry man, I didn't disagree. My comment was more about needing to be "wicked smart" to get into NU.

• Plus1 1