Rumored coaching jobs and salaries....

lo country

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

Potential deals:

(Rumor) Lincoln Riley offered $96 million for 8 years at LSU.......

Mel Tucker (in year 2) gets a $95 million 10 year deal......

I can see why it'd be hard to have fired Frost and owe him $20 million......It appears the coaching arms race is here....

But....but....with all Nebraska's resources and facilities......

• Haha 1
Just now, lo country said:

That's some CRAZY money to throw at guys....We don't have those resources.....

Yep.....every University has high capacity donors and tv money has leveled playing field 

Like Trev indicated on his radio appearance this week....even the Purdues, Minnesotas and Indianas have resources and facilities 

• Plus1 3

20 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

Why don't we have those resources guys? What makes you think that? 

I don't think we currently do while looking down the barrel of 20 million buyout.  That is a huge obstacle.  I am truly hoping we drop a couple million on new O staff salaries/contracts and give the D staff pay raises.  And next year everyhting clicks...Now once we get past the buy out phase I think we are in better shape. This year there are a lot of openings. Hard to compete with the $20 million dollar anchor. If Frost doesn't make it next year (I think he gets 2 years w/staff changes), but we will be financially better off and perhaps not as many "bidding" war type openings.

Getting the new facility will also help. As will actually winning games and going bowling. 

• Plus1 1

25 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I’m to believe Michigan State has those resources but we don’t?  That is incorrect. 

It's going to be very interesting.  $10 million per year range is"elite" coach pay now.

And schools like Purdue and Northwestern have some nice family funders (and Creighton.....)

9 hours ago, lo country said:

That's some CRAZY money to throw at guys....We don't have those resources.....

If, as you say, the coaching arms race is here, $20 mil would be a chump change buyout compared to the Riley and Tucker deals.

IDK about OU but Tucker’s deal is not a rumor. Two MSU donors ponied up for that one.

I agree the amounts are ridiculous but the arms race has been a thing for awhile. I’m pretty sure DONU has donors they can lean on. Need to convince Warren to kick in with those kind of dollars involved. There’s always money in the banana stand.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

If, as you say, the coaching arms race is here, $20 mil would be a chump change buyout compared to the Riley and Tucker deals.

IDK about OU but Tucker’s deal is not a rumor. Two MSU donors ponied up for that one.

I agree the amounts are ridiculous but the arms race has been a thing for awhile. I’m pretty sure DONU has donors they can lean on. Need to convince Warren to kick in with those kind of dollars involved. There’s always money in the banana stand.

There is ALWAYS money in the banana stand.

Man, that Mel Tucker extension is incredible.  Holy schnikees.

I fully understand the Lincoln Riley to LSU rumors but gosh it doesn't make sense to me.  I totally get that LSU is another echelon in terms of infrastructure but man, the LSU job seems to be a job where you go there to get fired.  Oklahoma strikes me as the least 'pressure cooky' of the big blue blood jobs.  Riley isn't getting fired at Oklahoma for winning 10 games a year, he might at LSU.  I always figured if Riley left, it would be for a NFL job.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

There is ALWAYS money in the banana stand.

Man, that Mel Tucker extension is incredible.  Holy schnikees.

I fully understand the Lincoln Riley to LSU rumors but gosh it doesn't make sense to me.  I totally get that LSU is another echelon in terms of infrastructure but man, the LSU job seems to be a job where you go there to get fired.  Oklahoma strikes me as the least 'pressure cooky' of the big blue blood jobs.  Riley isn't getting fired at Oklahoma for winning 10 games a year, he might at LSU.  I always figured if Riley left, it would be for a NFL job.

I agree about OU and Riley. But that is also exactly the type of place that would get spoiled with ten wins and have a knee jerk when it falls off to 8 or 9 for one year. Sort of like someplace we all know circa early 2000’s. And their prognosis with a SEC schedule isn’t looking too rosy.

It’s 100% a business now and donors are calling the shots and holding the purse strings on these ridiculous coaching salaries. ADs are only involved to the extent they can gain the needed donor support for what they want to do.

• Plus1 1