Burning Smothers Red Shirt

ndobney

4 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

In all honesty it doesn't matter. We've been told time and time again that Smothers "isn't ready". If AM leaves your starter next year is either Haarberg or a transfer. Unless our new offensive staff can figure out how to develop a qb in the spring. 

Yeah Hedley we discussed this once before. Part of the reason I justified Frost staying was the transfer portal and him coaching the way he did cause he could save Smothers redshirt. After today I just can't justify his management anymore. If Smothers isn't ready than why put him in save the redshirt, but this is year two he should be ready to at least be a back up if not a starter meaning now we can't develop qbs. But I don't even see us trying to bring in the next QB. 

• Haha 1

Come on…let us admit it. If Frost truly believed smothers is our next savior, he would have not wasted his red shirt. At this point, Frost does not care about smothers because he is not planning on playing him next year. If I were a betting man, Frost will convince Martinez to come back for another redemption year. Frost does not seem capable of developing other QBs.  Smothers will enter the transfer portal. Let us face it, we do not have a plan B. Frost is not a smart coach. You get that from his comments regarding special teams. Any coach who thinks special teams are not important is not a smart coach capable of winning. Frost got lucky at UCF. That luck got him this job and now he has no other options. End of story. 

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Come on…let us admit it. If Frost truly believed smothers is our next savior, he would have not wasted his red shirt. At this point, Frost does not care about smothers because he is not planning on playing him next year. If I were a betting man, Frost will convince Martinez to come back for another redemption year. Frost does not seem capable of developing other QBs.  Smothers will enter the transfer portal. Let us face it, we do not have a plan B. Frost is not a smart coach. You get that from his comments regarding special teams. Any coach who thinks special teams are not important is not a smart coach capable of winning. Frost got lucky at UCF. That luck got him this job and now he has no other options. End of story. 

Yes exactly what was I was thinking said it a lot better though

1 hour ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

In all honesty it doesn't matter. We've been told time and time again that Smothers "isn't ready". If AM leaves your starter next year is either Haarberg or a transfer. Unless our new offensive staff can figure out how to develop a qb in the spring. 

The genius move here is really getting AM to move on on his own while bringing in a transfer.

im still hopeful 

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Smothers and Yant will leave and enter the transfer portal. Others will follow. I am hoping benhart is one of those.

I'm not sold on Yant being as good as message boards have made him out to be. He's a big back who came to fall camp overweight. His big game was against a horrid Northwestern team that hasn't stopped any team with a pulse all year. I do think the RB room has been mismanaged for multiple years running, but message boards are only pointing out Yant because they like themselves a big back. Let's just forget the fact that he tripped over himself on a sure TD in Minnesota. Had had multiple plays where he didn't know where to go that messed things up in critical moments. Bottom line, there was nothing that Yant did in his time playing that Marvin Scott III didn't do tonight or Johnson hasn't done as a starter.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

There are people to sweat losing a redshirt on, but a QB should never be one.

If your QB is half as good as you would hope, they would leave early for the NFL anyway.

If they aren't as good as you hope, you don't really want them around for 5 years.

If you have them around for 5 years, and they are somewhere in between, you should have out-recruited them during the next 2-3 years with a new QB, or you are stuck in a level of mediocrity where you know change is needed regardless.

• Plus1 2