Burning Smothers Red Shirt

ndobney

6 minutes ago, Dano564 said:

There are people to sweat losing a redshirt on, but a QB should never be one.

If your QB is half as good as you would hope, they would leave early for the NFL anyway.

If they aren't as good as you hope, you don't really want them around for 5 years.

If you have them around for 5 years, and they are somewhere in between, you should have out-recruited them during the next 2-3 years with a new QB, or you are stuck in a level of mediocrity where you know change is needed regardless.

So a 5th year starting QB isn't a good thing when you're a losing team the previous 4 years? Haha 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, huskerfan74 said:

Smothers and Yant will leave and enter the transfer portal. Others will follow. I am hoping benhart is one of those.

It would be a felony to leave that decision up to Benhart. He needs to be shown the door and then shoved through it. People talk about how just a remedial special teams effort would give us more wins but if Benhart never wore a Nebraska jersey, we’d legitimately be bowl eligible this year. The scary thing is that he still sees the field. Either our coaches are too stupid (very likely) or our OL prognosis is even worse than imagined (also very likely).

• Plus1 1

43 minutes ago, Tom Brokejaw said:

I am perplexed. I get so frustrated with Martinez I could bash my TV.  Yet today he became the all time leader in total production or some similar stat, passing Tommy Armstrong.  And that with a shorter season last year.  Inconsistency is a beach I guess.

Totally agree on the frustrating comment- was texting a buddy who’s a big college football fan (casual Nebraska fan now cause I converted him lol) and he’s just perplexed how at any given play 2AM can go from legit playmaker to true freshman level mistakes.

in fairness to Tommy Armstrong and the stat comment- TA also played a somewhat short season out of his 4 when he was thrust into the starting spot his freshman year due to injury to TM.

TA also had to defer stats to a great RB like Amber- 2AM just gets to hog the ineptitude for today’s teams.

TA also had 2AM in the back burner on the most important stat, Wins.

5 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Totally agree on the frustrating comment- was texting a buddy who’s a big college football fan (casual Nebraska fan now cause I converted him lol) and he’s just perplexed how at any given play 2AM can go from legit playmaker to true freshman level mistakes.

in fairness to Tommy Armstrong and the stat comment- TA also played a somewhat short season out of his 4 when he was thrust into the starting spot his freshman year due to injury to TM.

TA also had to defer stats to a great RB like Amber- 2AM just gets to hog the ineptitude for today’s teams.

TA also had 2AM in the back burner on the most important stat, Wins.

That's funny, considering fans would get mad because Tommy would not pitch the ball.  Also he played behind a line that was 1000 times better than the current one.