Burning Smothers Red Shirt

ndobney

14 minutes ago, observer3 said:

Someone may have brought this up, but I seem to recall some kind of application/appeal process to lobby for a red-shirt in special situations.   Is it possible to still get a red-shirt for Smothers, because that was hardly much game participation.

Typically that's for medical or hardship. Nobody is getting an extra redshirt because coach goofed.

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, funhusker said:

True.

And he could still redshirt next year if Martinez comes back and stays healthy, right?

This is my thought. They know he won't be ready to be a started next year either, so they don't much  care which year we use toward a redshirt. If it be Martinez or Brennan, sounds like Logan still needs a year or two of bench presses to be our answer. Else, it will be Haarberg, etc. 

8 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

From what I've been told, it's pretty much 100% that we're pursuing a transfer QB for next season. Frost's career as HC is riding on it, so he needs to land a top-tier QB in the portal.

That's really good information and is pretty much the only thing I could think of that could almost justify that decision, but we don't know exactly what the thoughts of the kid is maybe he absolutely didn't want the redshirt. Otherwise it still seems like a kick in the nuts to Smothers on the way out by burning his redshirt. Cause I'm hearing he might go to the portal anyways

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

Of course he could and that's why it is totally ridiculous to claim his redshirt was burned.

Back in 1991, Mike Grant redshirted as a 4th year senior, because there were 3 other senior QB's on the roster,  Keithan McCant, Mickey Joseph, and Tom Haase. Grant was named the starter for the beginning of the 1992 season, but he struggled, and a true freshman by the name of Tommie Frazier took over the QB job against Missouri and the rest is Husker history. 

2 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

I remember wondering how the hell Osborne ended up with 4 senior quarterbacks. That seemed like some pretty serious mismanagement to me.

Well, there was no scholarship limit, so NU could stock pile players.  That was a weird time for QB's at NU after Steve Taylor graduated in 1988. Joseph was the big recruit coming out of high school, and started for most of the next 2 years. He had that terrible leg injury against Oklahoma at the end of 1990, and Tom Haase played decent in the bowl game. McCant was really the afterthought in the QB room entering 1991, but he ended up having a great season that year. I remember Grant being a stud on the Freshman team, but never living up to his hyper after that.

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

From what I've been told, it's pretty much 100% that we're pursuing a transfer QB for next season. Frost's career as HC is riding on it, so he needs to land a top-tier QB in the portal.

The Huskers could nab Quinn Ewers from the portal.  :koolaid2:

(Unsubstantiated chatter that OSU may have more than 1 qb enter the portal after the season so if not Ewers then whoever but all this is purely speculative.)  Keep AM on board too.

32 minutes ago, observer3 said:

The Huskers could nab Quinn Ewers from the portal.  :koolaid2:

(Unsubstantiated chatter that OSU may have more than 1 qb enter the portal after the season so if not Ewers then whoever but all this is purely speculative.)  Keep AM on board too.

NU isn't gonna be able to get a decent transfer QB, while also having Martinez come back. Any decent transfer is not going to want to "compete" with Martinez for the job, they are going to want to have that #1 job pretty much assured for them. It's the way it is.

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU isn't gonna be able to get a decent transfer QB, while also having Martinez come back. Any decent transfer is not going to want to "compete" with Martinez for the job, they are going to want to have that #1 job pretty much assured for them. It's the way it is.

Yep.  Otherwise what’s the point in transferring.  

• Plus1 4