Burning Smothers Red Shirt

ndobney

15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU isn't gonna be able to get a decent transfer QB, while also having Martinez come back. Any decent transfer is not going to want to "compete" with Martinez for the job, they are going to want to have that #1 job pretty much assured for them. It's the way it is.

Well that's an interesting point, but a transfer still has to compete for playing time at new program, anywhere.  There have been multiple cases where a high profile transfer failed to win a starting qb job.

We know for sure that next year would be AM's last year, and further if a multiple QB system were employed the transfer would get guaranteed play time next year, and then would have the reigns all to themselves after that.   Especially for a freshman transfer that could work out fine, depending on personality.

5 minutes ago, observer3 said:

Well that's an interesting point, but a transfer still has to compete for playing time at new program, anywhere.  There have been multiple cases where a high profile transfer failed to win a starting qb job.

We know for sure that next year would be AM's last year, and further if a multiple QB system were employed the transfer would get guaranteed play time next year, and then would have the reigns all to themselves after that.   Especially for a freshman transfer that could work out fine, depending on personality.

Frost should be going after a transfer QB with starting experience at another school, or a big time recruit from recent years who he can give the starting job to. Frost can't afford to make a mistake on this transfer QB. His job is on the line. 

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Frost should be going after a transfer QB with starting experience at another school, or a big time recruit from recent years who he can give the starting job to. Frost can't afford to make a mistake on this transfer QB. His job is on the line. 

Yea it will be very very interesting to see who ends up in the portal.     I also imagine the new OC will have a major say in the recruitment of any transfer QB.  

We also need to hit the portal hard in general.   If we could do what Mel Tucker at MSU did to any degree it could really help fill some talent gaps.   

Need to keep the defense humming next year to go with the new successful offense.

8 minutes ago, observer3 said:

Yea it will be very very interesting to see who ends up in the portal.     I also imagine the new OC will have a major say in the recruitment of any transfer QB.  

We also need to hit the portal hard in general.   If we could do what Mel Tucker at MSU did to any degree it could really help fill some talent gaps.   

Need to keep the defense humming next year to go with the new successful offense.

I'm concerned about next year's D. The Blackshirts were helped this year by a number of 6th year players on the D. I do think Chinander and his coaches have done a better job coaching than the offensive guys (obviously), but NU is losing a lot of talent going into next year. 

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The point of the post you quoted is that Smothers still has a redshirt available, which can still be used in the future. It's not a big issue that he didn't "use his redshirt" this year.  You are one of a few who are making a big deal about this.

He burned a year of eligibility for two meaningless snaps. And he’s already 21.

It’s a big deal to him. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

33 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You are making my point for me.  He's already 21, why would he be concerned about saving another year of eligibility for when he's 25!?!?

Because your argument was he can have another red shirt year!  At his age, why would he want that? 

• Thanks 2
24 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Because your argument was he can have another red shirt year!  At his age, why would he want that? 

You are right, but my point is that him burning a redshirt this year doesn't mean much to him in the grand scheme of things. My guess is that he doesn't want to be playing college football at age 25, which is what redshirting this year or next year or any dang year would bring. Maybe we are having the same thought and just are saying it differently.

Redshirts are used to preserve a year of eligibility. Smothers is 21, is he really going to be concerned about having an extra year of eligibility at 25?  Now he has 3 years of eligibility left. Is that all that much different than having 4 years left. It's also the way it's been done since redshirt rules were established with freshman eligibility. COVID just changed things for one year, and allowed an extra year of eligibility "if players want that". 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The point of the post you quoted is that Smothers still has a redshirt available, which can still be used in the future. It's not a big issue that he didn't "use his redshirt" this year.  You are one of a few who are making a big deal about this.

Umm ok most incoherent reply in the history of huskerboard congrats. Redshirt was burned let's stay on topic. The argument he can redshirt another is just bad so stop.

42 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You are right, but my point is that him burning a redshirt this year doesn't mean much to him in the grand scheme of things. My guess is that he doesn't want to be playing college football at age 25, which is what redshirting this year or next year or any dang year would bring. Maybe we are having the same thought and just are saying it differently.

Redshirts are used to preserve a year of eligibility. Smothers is 21, is he really going to be concerned about having an extra year of eligibility at 25?  Now he has 3 years of eligibility left. Is that all that much different than having 4 years left. It's also the way it's been done since redshirt rules were established with freshman eligibility. COVID just changed things for one year, and allowed an extra year of eligibility "if players want that". 

Im not going to act like I know how Smothers thinks, but Im pissed that he sat in games when Martinez obviously didn’t have the tools physically available to lead he offense.   He sat in those situations and then gets his shirt pulled for two meaningless snaps? I think the writing was on the wall regarding the likeliness he could ever be a starter before this game. The   best case scenario for him was to get out the year and have a freshman do over somewhere else next year.  Act like this year never happened and get somewhere you have a chance. 

And if he feels the same as me, I understand.