What did we learn? Wisconsin edition

The Dude

Just now, The Dude said:

Riddle me this.  If the 4 guys who got canned were the problem why did that game go how all the other games went?

I guess I look at "how well we played on O" despite losing the coaches.  Stepp and Scott were MIA all year.  Maybe they only played as RJ was injured and Yant is leaving/dog house.  It shows me with a good offensive staff we can win some games.  BUT we lost because of ST, penalties, poor play calling and time management.  The same crap the past 4 years and this all rests with Frost.  I am and was in the camp to let Frost go, but if he stayed, the whole O staff needed to go (but Beckton).  I still think that the O staff was a huge problem.  No development, poor OL play, no power run game, play calling etc....I still think Frost should have been let ago.  Tonight we saw the same old crap. Another one loss game against a ranked team.  5-19....All of the other stats. Nothing shows he will get over the hump.  Maybe we lose to Iowa and he is still let go.  I'll count OSU as a one score game, to make math easier so to date, we lost 8 one score games this season.  If we are getting better we should have won 3-4 of those minimum.  We are not getting better.  We just lose by less.

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

I guess I look at "how well we played on O" despite losing the coaches.  Stepp and Scott were MIA all year.  Maybe they only played as RJ was injured and Yant is leaving/dog house.  It shows me with a good offensive staff we can win some games.  BUT we lost because of ST, penalties, poor play calling and time management.  The same crap the past 4 years and this all rests with Frost.  I am and was in the camp to let Frost go, but if he stayed, the whole O staff needed to go (but Beckton).  I still think that the O staff was a huge problem.  No development, poor OL play, no power run game, play calling etc....I still think Frost should have been let ago.  Tonight we saw the same old crap. Another one loss game against a ranked team.  5-19....All of the other stats. Nothing shows he will get over the hump.  Maybe we lose to Iowa and he is still let go.  I'll count OSU as a one score game, to make math easier so to date, we lost 8 one score games this season.  If we are getting better we should have won 3-4 of those minimum.  We are not getting better.  We just lose by less.

One would think that the closer a team and coach is, that the pressure would lessen. Both within games and winning them. Except that isn't so. Successes and wins bring on more pressure! That's (part) of what the team's challenges are collectively. Say that we knock off someone that we're not supposed to...That can be a confidence builder for sure although there's going to be pressure multiplied. Could that be an issue for our players and coaches? To some extent I think that it is. There's an uncertainty about being over the top. Because, they haven't experienced it in really big games here for a very long time! As challenging as it is to achieve successes, it's even more difficult to maintain it. It's one of the issues that I think that they're needing to overcome IMO.  Anyway, I didn't intend to take away from your post. Just something I've been thinking about. 

It appears like the same team without those coaches and the same plays being called.  This team is by no way fixed or fixing itself.  The only thing now is we can point at 4 coaches who might not have been doing great things here, but were not the reason we lost games.  I will say this one last time:  Frost and his offense is junk.  We just lost to a team that can't do anything other than run the ball and run the ball very well.  Take the spread offense that Frost runs and it needs scrapped completely.  Sure we put up yards, sure today we scored 28 points, but it won't last.  We have been beaten by power run teams all season long. 

The most important hire right now is offensive line coach.  I don't see Frost changing his offense.  He is too stubborn, and too arrogant.  He won't change until he is fired.  For some reason, playing power football must mean that this won't be Frost team, but maybe his old coaches way's and he doesn't like that.  Everyone who has come here since Solich has refused to play power football.  Explain that when we get our rears kicked by every team that plays power football.  Were still light years away.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
21 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I learned some potential signs of apathy:

1. Fewest posts in gameday thread in years.

2. Missing parts of a game and not really caring.

3. Cleaning out the closet and parting ways with older Husker gear.

Yeah it might be time to get rid of that Broderick Thomas "Sandman" t-shirt in a size medium. Although, that would be the most awesome shirt ever. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, 308_Husker said:

Another week, another one score loss. 

I think if Betts would have really pleaded with the refs on the last play, that we would have gotten PI. 

That wasn't the play to lose us the game. We allowed a 17 year old to rip us a new one 

It looked to me like a make-up no call for the horrible PI they called 5 plays earlier when AM threw the ball away way over Allen's head, out of bounds and was clearly uncatchable.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1