What did we learn? Wisconsin edition

The Dude

1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

It appears like the same team without those coaches and the same plays being called.  This team is by no way fixed or fixing itself.  The only thing now is we can point at 4 coaches who might not have been doing great things here, but were not the reason we lost games.  I will say this one last time:  Frost and his offense is junk.  We just lost to a team that can't do anything other than run the ball and run the ball very well.  Take the spread offense that Frost runs and it needs scrapped completely.  Sure we put up yards, sure today we scored 28 points, but it won't last.  We have been beaten by power run teams all season long. 

The most important hire right now is offensive line coach.  I don't see Frost changing his offense.  He is too stubborn, and too arrogant.  He won't change until he is fired.  For some reason, playing power football must mean that this won't be Frost team, but maybe his old coaches way's and he doesn't like that.  Everyone who has come here since Solich has refused to play power football.  Explain that when we get our rears kicked by every team that plays power football.  Were still light years away.

I want power football so bad.  I am hoping that Frost wanting "fresh ideas" and not "go too far from what we are doing" was coach speak to save face.  I hope Trev said you scheme sucks.  The field is 100 yards long.  not 80.  Your O has gotten you 4 seasons of losing.  Possibly the worst coach in NU history.  Your O is almost dead last in red zone efficiency. So as a fellow Husker, I am throwing you a bone, but you keep that craptastic scheme next year, I'll leave you in Ireland.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Take 2-

After hiring an offensive line coach, the next hire should be QB coach.  Forget OC, that really doesn't matter.  Frost isnt changing his ways or system.  If he does, then I will praise him for it, but it isn't happening. 

QB coach is needed, right behind offensive line coach.  We need our Qb's coached better. 

• Fire 1

I felt like Frost was entirely outcoached by Brohm, who had a plan of attack and built confidence in his team finding weaknesses in our pretty stout, full strength defense.

Today, I felt like Frost turned the tables and did that against Leonhard. Some weird playcalls still at times, especially in the RZ, which I mostly chalk up to not trusting the OLine, but overall felt like Frost called a really good game and had Wisconsin off balance. I think it would have usually been enough to win except we were missing some key cogs on defense and gave up the dumb KO return TD.

A loss is a loss but I’m glad the team still fights at least. Austin Allen is a beast and I can’t wait to see Fidone.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

I learned that those HARLOTS on State Street in Madison make it their mission to lead pious Nebraskans into the arms of sin. I have to regretfully report that I did have a fried cheese curd, but I did NOT follow the young lady that offered to... I think she said "give me a cheesehead" which as I understand it is a hat popular amongst fans of the Green Bay Packers, a professional football team in Wisconsin.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Todd from Breaking Bad said:

I learned that those HARLOTS on State Street in Madison make it their mission to lead pious Nebraskans into the arms of sin. I have to regretfully report that I did have a fried cheese curd, but I did NOT follow the young lady that offered to... I think she said "give me a cheesehead" which as I understand it is a hat popular amongst fans of the Green Bay Packers, a professional football team in Wisconsin.

Atleast it wasn't a cheese turd and you escaped without too much cheese... on your ..."head"...(insert doctor evil laugh)

10 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

It looked to me like a make-up no call for the horrible PI they called 5 plays earlier when AM threw the ball away way over Allen's head, out of bounds and was clearly uncatchable.

The actual correct call should have been defensive holding.   In which the balls "catchability" becomes irrelevant 

• Plus1 5

Take 3-

If we don't hire a good OC, with power run game as his first priority the other takes don't matter either.

Here is what I think might happen in a nutshell.  Since we have Teddy Pro sidelined due to injury and when he was in lineup we won, that will provide Frost with some sort of reason to only tweak the offense, not change it. 

Second issue with Frost is that when players make mistakes, they don't see the field for along time or a whole game, except A Mart.  Sorry but Yant is our best back, its not even close.  Omar Manning is maybe our best weapon, but rarely used.  We keep putting Oliver Martin back to receive punts even though he won't run for 5 foot gain.  Playmakers are risk takers, live with the bad because the good is far greater.

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1

I'm actually encouraged with the offensive effort.  Most of that side of the ball played great today.  I learned they aren't quiting even though they lost some coordinators.  28 should have been enough to win today.

I learned big ten officials call very few penalties this time of year.  They missed a pile of calls on both sides.

Most of all, I learned how much JoJo meant to our defense.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Riddle me this.  If the 4 guys who got canned were the problem why did that game go how all the other games went?

The offense was FAR  better. It made me wonder what team was on the field. Brown alone did a far superior job with the running backs, guys who had hardly played before this game. The defense flat stunk....it was like we fired THEIR coaches.

• Plus1 4
27 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

The offense was FAR  better.

Before today we averaged 459 yards and 28.6 points per game.  Today we finished with 452 yards and 28 points.

Capped it off with a couple critical INTs and a killer false start penalty. 

So it was FAR better in the sense that it was exactly the same.

• Thanks 2

The post game presser Frost mentioned the RB's.  Said RJ was banged up, Gabe got hurt early and and had one who left the team.  Said no back has really separated himself.  Said they need to have one guy who can be "that guy".  

I learned a few things from this:

Held hasn't developed one RB in 4 years.

We might have continually missed on recruits.

Why in the hell in year 4 has Frost still saying "we need that guy".  And we don't have one.

Unless we hit the portal, or get a great RB coach, I don't expect to have one next year.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1