What did we learn? Wisconsin edition

The Dude

Feel free to “:lol:“ at everything I just said. Feel free to call it a “moral victory national championship”. 

The stadium will be full Friday, and NEB will hold Iowa to less than 250 yards. Adrian will have one fumble and one INT. The offense will get 400+ yards. Special teams will miss two FGs. The game will be within 9 points.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
9 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

Anybody watch that show called Russian Doll?

It's like Groundhog Day, except the main character relives her 36th birthday over and over again, and each one of them ends when she dies. Every death is a little different.... hit by a car, drowning, electrocuted, blown up in a gas leak, heart attack, shot, anaphylatic shock from bee stings, falls down stairs, elevator accident, etc, etc, etc.... but she dies and wakes up again on her birthday. And then dies.

She only gets out of it when she finds another person trapped in a similar death loop and they have to find a portal to an alternate dimension that takes them back to the first "death" and only then can they get out of it by changing their actions of that day.

Nebraska football is in its own time loop, where they are doomed to lose every game by a margin of single digits again and again and again for all eternity. Perhaps the only way to escape it is to find some kind of inter-dimensional time vortex. Perhaps it's November 2003, perhaps it's another time.... who knows..... all I know is where the f---k is the way out?

If I did think about watching it, thanks for the spoiler alert. :lol:

GBR!!!

2 hours ago, Courtesy Flush said:

First, I understand everyone’s frustration. I’m sick of losing these games too. Here’s another perspective I think is important to consider.

I learned that if we had hired Mel Tucker, and signed him to a 10 year deal, people on this board would have been calling for his head after yesterday’s pathetic performance. 

I learned that the coach in Ames isn’t the right replacement, because they’re 6&4 in his 4th year.

I learned that the coach at Wake Forest isn’t the answer because he can’t beat Clemson in a down year.

I learned that Coastal Carolina’s offensive coordinator isn’t the answer, because they could only muster 35 points against a terrible Texas State team.

Here’s a hard pill to swallow for many on this board: Since 1970, only 13 teams have been able to stay within 9 points of their opponents in every game: 70, 71, 79, 80, 82, 83, 93, 94, 95, 97, 99 & 2021 (so far). Those are some great teams! Best in our history. You don’t do that with a “broken offense”. There may only be one schedule in those 12 other years that was this tough… maybe.

This team didn’t quit on their coach like many of you have. The D held another team to under 400 yards. The offense put up another 400+ yard performance against another great defense and looked like it wasn’t missing 4 coaches. The system isn’t broken, the player development was. 4 new coaches who can develop their players 3/4 as well as Sean Beckton has put this 2021 team at 10 wins or better. 

Frost’s problem isn’t his system. The yards are there to prove that. It’s his loyalty. Loyalty to friends who couldn’t develop players on the offensive side of the ball. Adrian is a good QB who makes the same mistakes in year 4 as he did in year 1. You can’t expect to win when your QB averages more than 1 turnover a game. The oline is young and undeveloped. Running backs looked better yesterday than in the previous games, and they weren’t our best players at the position. Special teams has given up 44 points this season. The team has lost by a combined 49 points.

The stadium is full every weekend… can you say the same for every top 25 program? Camp Randle looked pretty bare in spots yesterday. As did most of the games I watched yesterday across the country.

Fan disappointment is real. Fan apathy? Not even close. We’ve never experienced that, and we never will, because we have the best damn fans on the planet. 

Frost IS the right guy, he’s still a young coach and he’s got a lot to learn. His team did something this season that hasn’t been done since the glory days. They don’t have the record to show for it, but the point difference tells a huge part of the story. If they stay within 9 of Iowa… that’s progress on defense. A few players developed on offense, and a special teams coach and look out 2022 and beyond.

None of what your said is wrong.  You are 100% correct.  We had fans on here calling for his head year one.  They are still calling for his head!!!  Look at the schedule, anyone would say that this was an impossible year to grade a coach and hold him to his record.   He is far more competitive than anyone other coach we’ve had in the last 20 years.   We don’t have blowout loses and we are in games till the very end of every game.   Ohio state was up 49-0 in the second quarter!!!!  That’s something we’d have seen from Bo.  We are close, so very close.  This team is fast, strong and competitive against multiple top 10 teams.  

My hope is that the fire we saw in frost on that no call pi will ignore this team. Scott and his team will play with a little anger and something to prove.   They have a year or two to prove they have a killer instinct and I think they show it!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5
2 hours ago, Courtesy Flush said:

First, I understand everyone’s frustration. I’m sick of losing these games too. Here’s another perspective I think is important to consider.

I learned that if we had hired Mel Tucker, and signed him to a 10 year deal, people on this board would have been calling for his head after yesterday’s pathetic performance. 

I learned that the coach in Ames isn’t the right replacement, because they’re 6&4 in his 4th year.

I learned that the coach at Wake Forest isn’t the answer because he can’t beat Clemson in a down year.

I learned that Coastal Carolina’s offensive coordinator isn’t the answer, because they could only muster 35 points against a terrible Texas State team.

Here’s a hard pill to swallow for many on this board: Since 1970, only 13 teams have been able to stay within 9 points of their opponents in every game: 70, 71, 79, 80, 82, 83, 93, 94, 95, 97, 99 & 2021 (so far). Those are some great teams! Best in our history. You don’t do that with a “broken offense”. There may only be one schedule in those 12 other years that was this tough… maybe.

This team didn’t quit on their coach like many of you have. The D held another team to under 400 yards. The offense put up another 400+ yard performance against another great defense and looked like it wasn’t missing 4 coaches. The system isn’t broken, the player development was. 4 new coaches who can develop their players 3/4 as well as Sean Beckton has put this 2021 team at 10 wins or better. 

Frost’s problem isn’t his system. The yards are there to prove that. It’s his loyalty. Loyalty to friends who couldn’t develop players on the offensive side of the ball. Adrian is a good QB who makes the same mistakes in year 4 as he did in year 1. You can’t expect to win when your QB averages more than 1 turnover a game. The oline is young and undeveloped. Running backs looked better yesterday than in the previous games, and they weren’t our best players at the position. Special teams has given up 44 points this season. The team has lost by a combined 49 points.

The stadium is full every weekend… can you say the same for every top 25 program? Camp Randle looked pretty bare in spots yesterday. As did most of the games I watched yesterday across the country.

Fan disappointment is real. Fan apathy? Not even close. We’ve never experienced that, and we never will, because we have the best damn fans on the planet. 

Frost IS the right guy, he’s still a young coach and he’s got a lot to learn. His team did something this season that hasn’t been done since the glory days. They don’t have the record to show for it, but the point difference tells a huge part of the story. If they stay within 9 of Iowa… that’s progress on defense. A few players developed on offense, and a special teams coach and look out 2022 and beyond.

Kinda pointless to compare our situation to a guy 9-2 in year 1, or a guy 6-4 but was top 10 and won a Fiesta Bowl last year, or a guy who scored under 35 points once, or a guy whose 9-2 but lost to a "down" 8-3 team that was in the CFB playoff last year. Frost had any of those resumes, only loonies would be calling for his head and we would all be ecstatic. 

I agree Frost has built a good roster and built a team that won't quit. He built a team good enough to compete for a division title. Also built a team who is inconsistent and has issues doing the little things that win football games. I could can see why he was given a 5th year. I wish I had your confidence that success is a foregone conclusion. I could see a corner turned next year, I could also see a team that goes 5-7 and loses close games once again. I guess we will find out. 

• Plus1 4

The need is real for professional referees, and an accountability system for botched calls.   

This is 2021 in a conference with tons of revenue, there is no excuse for poor officiating.   To me crappy or biased officiating pretty much ruins a game.  I hate winning because of bad calls too.

Look, this loss and others aren't solely on the refs, but we struggle enough that poor calls push us underwater.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Frustrated said:

Jet sweep anyone???

That was called for by fans in the Badger chatroom during the game.  The team has only run it a few times this season. It could be the coaches are wary of Mertz's tendency to fumble.

The Badger offense really started clicking when Allen started getting more carries.  Part of the reason he wasn't getting more carries is that he had some early season fumbles. 

Isn't it a little overly cranky to complain about the playcalling when the offense gains 450 yards against one of the stingiest defenses in college football, only punts twice, and had an offensive response to every Wisconsin score? Well.....except for that last one. And that drive had to compensate for holding calls on our notoriously overwhelmed offensive linemen. And that 4th and 20 call was actually a pretty good play call, thwarted by a pretty s#!tty officiating call.

I'm changing my mind. The QB and the play-calling isn't the defining problem with this team. 

• Plus1 4
29 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

i didn't learn anything new.

AM is still unable to make the big game winning play.

Frost can't understand clock management.

Special teams still suck and so does Dawson.

Another year of Frost will be painful.

I am fine being critical of Frost, but I didn't see how Frost mis-managed the clock at the end of the game.  They were in great shape with over 30 seconds left, 3 timeouts, and the ball at the 11 yard line.  The holding penalty was a killer, but that really didn't hurt things when it came to clock management.  I do think NU should have tried to get those 10 yards back on 1st and 2nd downs, instead of doing deep routes to the end zone, but that's still not bad clock management.  NU didn't lose plays due to the clock running out.  The goal was to score a TD with as little time left as possible, and then go for 2 and the win.

• Plus1 5