What did we learn? Wisconsin edition

The Dude

7 minutes ago, observer3 said:

Well I did also call out the play selection.   To me the offense seemed to be running end-zone passes as if they didn't have time to run anything else.   

For myself, play selection was the bigger issue at the end.  3 TOs, 11 yards to go and a little over 30 seconds is near an eternity.  Granted everything went to s#!t after the hold.  But I would have loved to see that option look with Belt that had gotten ya almost 5-8 all game on 1st from the 11.  No matter the success of the play call the first TO afterwards.  Come up with your two best short field plays and there are your 2nd and 3rd down plays.  If you are tackled inbounds on either of those plays of course TO number two.  Best scenario you've scored and you have a TO to come up with your best goal line play for the the 2 point conversion.   In my made up "second guessing, recliner coaching world" one of those two plays on second and third down would been a play to get the ball to Allen(which SHOULD have been stressed in the real situation).

That drive, of all time sensitive drives throughout the SF era, is probably in the bottom 3-5% of bad clock management drives.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

Just now, PaulCrewe said:

For myself, play selection was the bigger issue at the end.  3 TOs, 11 yards to go and a little over 30 seconds is near an eternity.  Granted everything went to s#!t after the hold.  But I would have loved to see that option look with Belt that had gotten ya almost 5-8 all game on 1st from the 11.  No matter the success of the play call the first TO afterwards.  Come up with your two best short field plays and there are your 2nd and 3rd down plays.  If you are tackled inbounds on either of those plays of course TO number two.  Best scenario you've scored and you have a TO to come up with your best goal line play for the the 2 point conversion.   In my made up "second guessing, recliner coaching world" one of those two plays on second and third down would been a play to get the ball to Allen(which SHOULD have been stressed in the real situation).

That drive, of all time sensitive drives throughout the SF era, is probably in the bottom 3-5% of bad clock management drives.

How can you choose among terrible drives in the SF era? Serious question.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

I can't remember if it was AA or Vok that had the delayed block and then released for the completion.  Do the same thing. Chip block and then get behind the LB's. Let the receivers run the DB's off and out.  

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

I can't remember if it was AA or Vok that had the delayed block and then released for the completion.  Do the same thing. Chip block and then get behind the LB's. Let the receivers run the DB's off and out.  

Vok had two big catch and runs off of that yesterday.

Huge issue, that you also agree with, is the absolute lack of using both of these guys in the red zone.   Let alone the fact that they seldom, if at all, are on the field in these situations

• Plus1 2
20 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Vok had two big catch and runs off of that yesterday.

Huge issue, that you also agree with, is the absolute lack of using both of these guys in the red zone.   Let alone the fact that they seldom, if at all, are on the field in these situations

Absolutely.  They are super tall and sure hands.  Jump ball in the red zone.  I just don't understand the lack of using them a lot more.  As the field gets smaller, they get bigger.  Boggles the mind.

8 minutes ago, lo country said:

Absolutely.  They are super tall and sure hands.  Jump ball in the red zone.  I just don't understand the lack of using them a lot more.  As the field gets smaller, they get bigger.  Boggles the mind.

Agree that it would have been nice to use them in the red zone more often this year.  However, the soft spot in Wisconsin's D is the TE down the middle, especially off play-action, so it was natural for Allen and Vokalek to get more targets against Wisconsin.

Also, NU showed against Wisconsin that they don't need to run the ball effectively to have play-action passes be effective.  I keep seeing that from fans saying that a better run game will open up more play action, but that is a misconception proven across the college game and NFL.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

Yea on the same page about the play calling.   Your scenarios are solid.

Regarding clock management, my original point that I attempted to make (perhaps somewhat poorly) was that I didn't see methodical utilization of the time - like in the scenarios you described - while using plays that had been working all game, with a timeout to stop the clock when/if needed, etc.

Instead what went down at the end of the game was more like near-desperation in flavor to my eyes.

Thanks for the post, good detail there.

6 minutes ago, observer3 said:

Yea on the same page about the play calling.   Your scenarios are solid.

Regarding clock management, my original point that I attempted to make (perhaps somewhat poorly) was that I didn't see methodical utilization of the time - like in the scenarios you described - while using plays that had been working all game, with a timeout to stop the clock when/if needed, etc.

Instead what went down at the end of the game was more like near-desperation in flavor to my eyes.

Thanks for the post, good detail there.

That's a great description.  We had 3 timeouts and time, but we seemed so rushed.  Like a 10 sec drill with no time....I wish we had taken a breath, looked at what Wisky was scheming to do and ran a safe play or 3 and then go all end zone or bust.  I know the off sides hurt, but just seem "panicked".  I believe it was @PaulCreweor @The Dude that mentioned going to a hard count in the red zone and the only people that jumped have always been our OL....Again, frustrating.

• Plus1 1

38 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

He wasn’t.  Was in on the rest though.  But it kind of highlights my point that in no way should he be on the sideline for any red zone play.  Many times this year that was an issue.

Waaay too many times. It’s as if Frost truly believes the next man up is just as capable as the top players, except when it comes to a hobbled or struggling starting QB. I can’t count the times Toure hasn’t been on the field for obvious long yardage passing downs. Hell, put him out there as a decoy if nothing else but don’t have him standing on the sidelines.

Here is my question.  They have run the goal line play with Brewington where he motions across and kicks out whoever and then the RB is the lead blocker for AM.  I don't think it has been stopped but maybe once all year.  Why don't they just run it on short yardage situations as well?  Also when we are further than 2 yards out from the goal line?  It's one of the few run plays they have that works.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
26 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Waaay too many times. It’s as if Frost truly believes the next man up is just as capable as the top players, except when it comes to a hobbled or struggling starting QB. I can’t count the times Toure hasn’t been on the field for obvious long yardage passing downs. Hell, put him out there as a decoy if nothing else but don’t have him standing on the sidelines.

Very good points. Toure being out on that last play was suspect, since he creates so many problems. He at least would draw a lot of attention to open things up for a few of the bigger guys.

As for our team, I'm not encouraged that Nebraska is going to be able to beat Wisconsin next season, which will be a full decade since our last win against them. Unfortunately Nebraska fans and those in the administration find our lack of success, player development, and recruiting acceptable.

Wisconsin is simply a better program, let's hope we beat them by 2031 so as we don't cross a two-decade threshold between wins against them.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1