Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

I’m not totally convinced we will only be successful with a transfer QB. 

I remember when a lot of fans never thought Joe Ganz would be any good.  

We will also have a new QB coach that hopefully will coach them up better. 

We also have never seen Haarberg. The key is going to be to get the new OC and QB coach in and let them evaluate what we have. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

We also have never seen Haarberg. The key is going to be to get the new OC and QB coach in and let them evaluate what we have. 

both guys should get ample playing time on Saturday. Let’s see what they can do. 

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Many current LSU coaches have Nebraska ties: Jake Peetz, Corey Raymond, Mickey Joseph. Bring them on staff and bring some of the portal players along. There are already two top LSU guys in the portal with more to follow. 

LSU north, haha. The brand of ball LSU plays would do well in the BIG West.  LSU is always athletic and physical.  Yes they have recruiting hotbed but we need to get in that region more significantly. The good years of Pelini defense were LSU-esque. Package deal for some stud players would be very worth looking into. 

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Joe Ganz was also a player who was in the same system for 4 years, including starting 3 games in 2007 before becoming the full time starter in 2008.  Ganz also had "won" the starting job in 2007 according to most players. Watson was his OC and QB coach, so there were few growing pains with him becoming the starter. Smothers or Haarberg wouldn't have nearly the same experience as Ganz did. 

My wish list for transfer portal qbs are...in order:

Charlie Brewer-Utah 

Jarren Williams-USF

Myles Brennan-LSU

Any of these 3 would be an upgrade and bring experience.

Brewer has thrown for over 10000 yards, nearly 70 tds has another 1000+ rushing and 22 tds on the ground.  He'd be a day 1 starter, with a year left.

Williams started for the U in 2019.  Threw for over 2000 yards and 19 tds.  He'd bring past baggage though it seems to be in the past.   With 2 years of eligibility,  I believe.

Either one of the first two would be homeruns,  imo 

Brennan brings name recognition...hasn't played nearly as much as Brewer and doesn't have near the upside of Williams.  Has 1 year of eligibility.   He'd be a solid extra base-hit.  Not a homerun.

• Thanks 2

Wish list RBs:

1.  Marcel Murray-Ark st.

Nearly 2000 rushing 5ypc, productive when healthy.   Had an ankle injury and now looking for a place for his final season.  Dudes a stud when healthy. 

2. Hassan hall-louisville

All purpose back, great returner 4.4 speed.  All acc back.

3. Brock Sturgis-Texas St 

Former butler county kid.  I like his game.  4.5 forty kid.  Has played a lot of ball, he'd fit the system currently 

4. Jalen Berger-wisc

Name recognition.   Wisky retred...but a good one.  We have Yant and stepp currently or he'd be higher. 

5.  Rico Frye-BG

Really like this kid.  Reminds me of ozigbo.  He's compact and shifty...runs over dbs and arm tackles won't do it.  Typical shifty small back with some punch.  Won't run away from many tho.  3 year of eligibility is a big plus too.  Watch his high school tape and tell me you wouldn't love this kid in scarlet & cream.

WR wish list:

I have one...as I think we have a good room and lots of young talent there.  We need a touré type guy...and there's only one currently out there.

Jadan Blue-Temple

169 catches 1672 yards, 10 tds.  Track guy, lightly recruited out of HS due to playing only 1 year...dudes electric and can take the top off the defense...like touré but perhaps faster....this is the only play here, imo.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

WR wish list:

I have one...as I think we have a good room and lots of young talent there.  We need a touré type guy...and there's only one currently out there.

Jadan Blue-Temple

169 catches 1672 yards, 10 tds.  Track guy, lightly recruited out of HS due to playing only 1 year...dudes electric and can take the top off the defense...like touré but perhaps faster....this is the only play here, imo.

I would also add Mycah Pittman to this list. He did not get a ton of receptions at Oregon so his stats are lower this year. He is still a solid player. 

21 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

I would also add Mycah Pittman to this list. He did not get a ton of receptions at Oregon so his stats are lower this year. He is still a solid player. 

I agree Pittman has lots of talent...if we're going to take a wr it needs to be a slam dunk sure thing.  We need a touré not a falck.  I'm sure Pittman is closer to touré than falck, but I know blue is...that's the difference.  

I wouldn't be angry with Pittman...I just think the only plug and play right now is blue...we have a deep, young wr core

1 minute ago, Cobra Kai said:

I agree Pittman has lots of talent...if we're going to take a wr it needs to be a slam dunk sure thing.  We need a touré not a falck.  I'm sure Pittman is closer to touré than falck, but I know blue is...that's the difference.  

I wouldn't be angry with Pittman...I just think the only plug and play right now is blue...we have a deep, young wr core

Pittmans girlfriend can ball.  Bring in both!

12 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

I would say Jadan Blue is your first option. No doubt about it as he is the best available. However, almost everyone will be after him that wants a receiver. 

Pittman might like what he saw at Oregon under Frost and have some familiarity with him. Maybe he doesn't even remember him at Oregon. 

The other thing with Pittman is he is solid at retuning punts. Nebraska definitely needs help in that department and it would make the return game more dangerous. Here are some highlights of him.