Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

8 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Thanks for the redline edits BRB.  Much like my legal counsel, I know you care.

Incidentally, when can I get that holiday fruitcake out to you?  I owe you.

#1 - No Flaming/Trolling/Defamatory posts
Strong opinions are encouraged, and debate is not only welcomed – it's the main reason the board exists. If what you are considering posting doesn’t advance the issue being discussed – if it’s just taking a “shot” at someone – then either don’t post it, or phrase it in a way that meets the rules. There is absolutely no reason to verbally attack another user (aka flaming), and/or posting a message for the express purpose of generating a negative response (trolling). Any defamatory posts made against HuskerBoard, its representatives, or any other member may result in an immediate ban or temporary account disablement.Posts outside of the general theme of the topic which you are posting within will be moved or deleted.

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Since you are new to my posting, I will cut you a break.  I have not watched a Husker game since CU more than 2 years ago... The meltdown in Boulder.

In terms of finding something else to do, I get my kicks from posing thought-provoking and dare I say controversial comments to the loyalist masses each and every day.  Your response to my message warms the heart...

Be well my friend and keep the picture of our esteemed Coach close.  

So if Frost does get this thing turned in a big way this coming year (9 or 10 wins), don't come crawling back and pretend that you're a fan again.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
33 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Since you are new to my posting, I will cut you a break.  I have not watched a Husker game since CU more than 2 years ago... The meltdown in Boulder.

So what you’re saying is that your belief that HCSF’s unwillingness to deviate from his failing system or philosophy—whatever you want to call it—that will ultimately lead to an end of his NU coaching tenure a year from now, is based only on an assessment of games that happened over two years ago.  You’re either yanking our chains or you have access to some really good inside information.  Care to elaborate?

24 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

So if Frost does get this thing turned in a big way this coming year (9 or 10 wins), don't come crawling back and pretend that you're a fan again.

Since folks are quoting the board rules today, I will consider whether or not your challenge of my program loyalty is indeed defamatory.  On the line my friend...

In terms of next season, and to avoid any potentially defamatory comments about our esteemed coach, I will simply say that the prospect of the "program" (not an individual) achieving a "collective" (not an individual) 9 or 10 wins is indeed very slim.  

Frankly, I would welcome the chance to eat crow next season for a change.  For board monitors, my suggestion of eating crow is not self-defaming.  I granted myself a one time exemption.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Whether you have blind optimism or eyes wide open objectivity, you are a fan.  Someone can call 3-9 a pile of crap and still be a fan.  I love the Huskers, but hate losing.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

Whether you have blind optimism or eyes wide open objectivity, you are a fan.  Someone can call 3-9 a pile of crap and still be a fan.  I love the Huskers, but hate losing.

It's possible to be both objective and optimistic/negative. I don't see the 2 as being mutually exclusive. For example, in 2017, as soon as Riley lost vs NIU, I said it was time for him to go, but I still watched every game with the hope and belief that they could win. By contrast, you can watch this year and objectively observe that physically this team is beginning to look really good while acknowledging that a combination of coaching deficiencies, youth at key positions, and complete lack of the ability (belief) mentally to win games has really derailed this team's potential. There are lots of things that Frost has to figure out, and I hope he does.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
19 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

So what you’re saying is that your belief that HCSF’s unwillingness to deviate from his failing system or philosophy—whatever you want to call it—that will ultimately lead to an end of his NU coaching tenure a year from now, is based only on an assessment of games that happened over two years ago.  You’re either yanking our chains or you have access to some really good inside information.  Care to elaborate?

Why it is you dear Watson that provides my inside information on the program.  You and the other wonderful posters on this Board (genuine compliment).  Trying to appease the "content moderators" today.  To clarify, the reference to Watson was complimentary and not defamatory in any way as "Dr. Watson" as he is known is an intelligent sidekick to the eccentric Sherlock Holmes.  

With that preamble now complete, my assessment of the state of the program.  Our esteemed coach is quite convinced that his system is successful.  His one undefeated season at UCF and time at Oregon as an assistant have assured him that the system is without flaw.  Overwhelm the opposition with points, including two point conversions, and you render the need for special teams and defense moot.  Therefore, any assistant hires made may have ability to tinker with some of the sets, but will not alter the strategy; the emphasis on points and more points.  We now have 4 years of results at NU, and one 0.500 season at UCF to back this up.  The undefeated season is the outlier and not the norm.

He is back for a 5th season so let's wish him well on his farewell tour and prepare for transition in November, 2022.  Watching both USC and LSU aggressively pursue top flight coaches in the last week convinces me more than ever that we need to go all in next year on "the guy".  Who that is remains to be seen.

1 hour ago, All Hail Herbie said:

However, any coach worth their weight in the Power 5 leagues would not honestly argue that 1 year players through the transfer portal are the solution to finding sustained success.

It is one thing to fill a temporary roster hole, or upgrade a skill position for one season, but it is quite another to make the transfer portal the centerpiece of your roster strategy.  To me, it speaks volumes about not only our inability to recruit high school athletes, but our inability to develop talent.

Any coach worth their weight in the Power 5 would also tell you it makes it much more difficult to formulate a plan for sustained success when, at ANY point in any season, any player can just take their ball and go home, looking for perceived greener pastures.  I do not even consider trying to gain players from the portal and a difficult to navigate option for Frost, I think it would be much harder to build out of a hole in a world where, if there is no instant gratification, it is so easy to move on and try to find it elsewhere. So difficult to try to reason with anybody in 2021 about hard work and sticktuitiveness.. Instant gratification rules the day, especially in 19 year old brains.

5 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

He is back for a 5th season so let's wish him well on his farewell tour and prepare for transition in November, 2022.  Watching both USC and LSU aggressively pursue top flight coaches in the last week convinces me more than ever that we need to go all in next year on "the guy".  Who that is remains to be seen.

If it comes to that, then yes, I agree.  I think TA will really need to “sell” NU as a destination job in order to attract interest from top flight coaches.  Personally I think NU is a top tier job, although I’m clearly biased.   I’m sure the national perception of that is quite different, though.   

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

What do you have against Fruit Cake? 

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

If it comes to that, then yes, I agree.  I think TA will really need to “sell” NU as a destination job in order to attract interest from top flight coaches.  Personally I think NU is a top tier job, although I’m clearly biased.   I’m sure the national perception of that is quite different, though.   

It is a top 25 gig. 

Just now, Decoy73 said:

He will not need to "sell" a top flight Power 5 coach on Nebraska as a destination if the money is right.  While I have my opinions on the corrupting influence of money in sports (not a fan), I am a realist and know that this is the order of the day.  If we want to be a national brand once more, we need to decide if we are prepared to pay for it.  LSU had two down years following a national championship and said no mas.  USC has been up and down for more than a decade and have had enough.  Is 20 years long enough for the boosters and fan base at NU to say no more?  We find out next November...

17 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Why it is you dear Watson that provides my inside information on the program.  You and the other wonderful posters on this Board (genuine compliment).  Trying to appease the "content moderators" today.  To clarify, the reference to Watson was complimentary and not defamatory in any way as "Dr. Watson" as he is known is an intelligent sidekick to the eccentric Sherlock Holmes.  

With that preamble now complete, my assessment of the state of the program.  Our esteemed coach is quite convinced that his system is successful.  His one undefeated season at UCF and time at Oregon as an assistant have assured him that the system is without flaw.  Overwhelm the opposition with points, including two point conversions, and you render the need for special teams and defense moot.  Therefore, any assistant hires made may have ability to tinker with some of the sets, but will not alter the strategy; the emphasis on points and more points.  We now have 4 years of results at NU, and one 0.500 season at UCF to back this up.  The undefeated season is the outlier and not the norm.

An undefeated season is an outlier for any coach, so Frost isn't unique there 

He's more unique that he's actually had an undefeated season.

I wouldn't mind if we scored more points.  Frost didn't just learn that from Chip.  It seems Osborne liked putting points on the board.