Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

A better Cam?  Based on what?

My view of Cam Jergens was that he was a total bust.  It took him a good two years to hike a ball for goodness sakes.  I'm not cutting him a break.  If we can't do that for a player like Wandale and say he isn't any good and we don't need him for his Junior and Senior [best] years, then I can't evaluate Cam on what he would/could be potentially.  All I can do is evaluate him for what he accomplished.  

Cam wasn't Dave Remington.  Not even close.  He is nothing more than a bloviated and perhaps fabricated "great player".  His best season was this one on what was a "less than average" Husker OL that went 3-9.  From my perspective we got one [1] decent/good year out of three years of development.  When it comes to what he could bring to the stability and growth of the program, he can and has preferred to move on.  So have I.  

Personally, I don't think it's a tough position to "plug and play" and Cam was certainly not a Center that was just so dominant that he opened up holes for really anything.  And again, it took him two years to really "figure it out" [which surprised me for someone that Frost and company raved on for "great potential"].

As it relates to the next possible "Cam", we don't really know.  Sure, there is a bit of "tongue and cheek" with how I phrased that ... but it would be epic to replace Cam with a better Cam ... especially since he also was originally a TE.  You think the new Cam took two years to learn how to snap a ball as a walk-on?  Who is smarter there and quicker to figure that one out [Jergens was the best player in the state and supposedly a phenomenal football player]?  

I'll wait with real excitement to see what we can muster up in that spot.  If there is any position on the OL that is easier to fill [as I see it], it would be Cam's spot.  Personally, I'm not gonna project losing him as we now have a "massive" hole to fill.  I'd rather just leave Cam Jergens in the past as having minimal impact as a Center at in Nebraska folklore and turn to the next man up who will add to the OL and perhaps get us back to respectability.  For me, Cam Jergens was not that guy.

I don't personally like "Mr. Wonderful" on Shark Tank, but in his tone ... when I think of Cam Jergens ... "I'm dead to him".  I will now wait with real excitement for the next man up ... maybe it's this new Cam.  Ha ha.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

A better Cam?  Based on what?

Assuming he has less snaps over the QB's head during his college career than Cam. Not sure if that's a kept stat but Cam has to be a record holder in that category. He did a better job snapping the ball this year 3 years later but how many games did he cost us his first 2 years?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

My view of Cam Jergens was that he was a total bust.  It took him a good two years to hike a ball for goodness sakes.  I'm not cutting him a break.  If we can't do that for a player like Wandale and say he isn't any good and we don't need him for his Junior and Senior [best] years, then I can't evaluate Cam on what he would/could be potentially.  All I can do is evaluate him for what he accomplished.  

Cam wasn't Dave Remington.  Not even close.  He is nothing more than a bloviated and perhaps fabricated "great player".  His best season was this one on what was a "less than average" Husker OL that went 3-9.  From my perspective we got one [1] decent/good year out of three years of development.  When it comes to what he could bring to the stability and growth of the program, he can and has preferred to move on.  So have I.  

Personally, I don't think it's a tough position to "plug and play" and Cam was certainly not a Center that was just so dominant that he opened up holes for really anything.  And again, it took him two years to really "figure it out" [which surprised me for someone that Frost and company raved on for "great potential"].

As it relates to the next possible "Cam", we don't really know.  Sure, there is a bit of "tongue and cheek" with how I phrased that ... but it would be epic to replace Cam with a better Cam ... especially since he also was originally a TE.  You think the new Cam took two years to learn how to snap a ball as a walk-on?  Who is smarter there and quicker to figure that one out [Jergens was the best player in the state and supposedly a phenomenal football player]?  

I'll wait with real excitement to see what we can muster up in that spot.  If there is any position on the OL that is easier to fill [as I see it], it would be Cam's spot.  Personally, I'm not gonna project losing him as we now have a "massive" hole to fill.  I'd rather just leave Cam Jergens in the past as having minimal impact as a Center at in Nebraska folklore and turn to the next man up who will add to the OL and perhaps get us back to respectability.  For me, Cam Jergens was not that guy.

I don't personally like "Mr. Wonderful" on Shark Tank, but in his tone ... when I think of Cam Jergens ... "I'm dead to him".  I will now wait with real excitement for the next man up ... maybe it's this new Cam.  Ha ha.

Perhaps it happens more often than I realize, but how many centers do you see pull on pass plays to block the edge rusher because the tackles are so poor at doing it?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, dspanther05 said:

Assuming he has less snaps over the QB's head during his college career than Cam. Not sure if that's a kept stat but Cam has to be a record holder in that category. He did a better job snapping the ball this year 3 years later but how many games did he cost us his first 2 years?

You mean the snaps that weren't a problem for the last two years?

33 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Completely disagree.  He's been the one very bright spot on our line for a long time.

• Plus1 9
26 minutes ago, dspanther05 said:

It was bad when he started out, yes, but if you think we're the only team that has had trouble with that, you don't watch enough football. Plenty of bad snaps in the conference championship games and NFL games the past couple weeks. 

• Plus1 1
43 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

Rumor is they are moving Vokolek to center.:D

I think the thing with Jurgens is that outside of this past year, someone else will see the fruits of the labor put into making him a star offensive lineman.  Ideally, you would want to see more than one year of success out of a player for your team that you recruited out of high school.  But, he could always risk a severe injury by coming back even though he more than likely would have increased his draft stock greatly barring that severe injury.  Hopefully, Nebraska can get a portal starting center.

1 minute ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I think the thing with Jurgens is that outside of this past year, someone else will see the fruits of the labor put into making him a star offensive lineman.  Ideally, you would want to see more than one year of success out of a player for your team that you recruited out of high school.  But, he could always risk a severe injury by coming back even though he more than likely would have increased his draft stock greatly barring that severe injury.  Hopefully, Nebraska can get a portal starting center.

He's had more than one year of success.

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1