Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

2 minutes ago, HANC said:

Because Smothers issue is arm strength. Can’t coach that, and the human body doesn’t build that fast, legally. Not sure SF wants to pin his future on a non highly recruited rs freshman or a true freshman to win in the big 10. Furthermore, our scheme wasn’t the issue, so a different scheme may actually be worse, or at the least not better. SF isn’t going to lay his job on the line for guys who may be 2-3 years away.

I hear you.  That's my concern moving forward.  As I have said before, Whipple is not my style scheme, BUT he has a solid track record.  He would have been a great guy to bring in 2018.  While Frost had time to recruit/build for the future.  I am hopeful, but not optimistic that it can be turned around in one year.  I do think that Frost will be here in 2023.  I don't think the conditions with Trev were indicative of a W-L record.  If it was based on that, he would not have been brought back.  

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

I hear you.  That's my concern moving forward.  As I have said before, Whipple is not my style scheme, BUT he has a solid track record.  He would have been a great guy to bring in 2018.  While Frost had time to recruit/build for the future.  I am hopeful, but not optimistic that it can be turned around in one year.  I do think that Frost will be here in 2023.  I don't think the conditions with Trev were indicative of a W-L record.  If it was based on that, he would not have been brought back.  

Absolutely! I completely agree with everything you posted. It will be a 2 yr chance. And, as much as I want a portal QB, I can get behind our group as you suggested, especially if it is a 2 year trial

14 minutes ago, lo country said:

Looking at his stats, when he is on he is on.  In losses, he is significantly worse.  He's not a runner per his stat sheet so that goes with a more air it out O.  TBH, don't know if he is an upgrade over anyone on our roster.

Might explain some. He’s a warrior that’s for sure.

Probably a better fit than Slovis.

• Plus1 2
On 12/17/2021 at 10:41 PM, huskerfan702 said:

- graham Harrell hired at USC

-Kedon slovis QBR 81.1 (11th in natio)

-QBR 75.7 (.1 ahead of AM) in a 5 game season 

-QBR 57.5 (With Harrell as a full time OC)

For anyone saying he is a pro QB can you please tell me how many USC games you stayed up to watch?

But. But.  But.  He’s from USC so he has to be better than anything we have. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, twofittyonred said:

id take someone in our QB room presently over slovis...

I wouldn’t. Smothers doesn’t have the arm talent to be a power five QB. HH needs to be developed. Didn’t get that last year. Torres just came off a season ending knee injury.

They need someone who can play right away.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Decked said:

I wouldn’t. Smothers doesn’t have the arm talent to be a power five QB. HH needs to be developed. Didn’t get that last year. Torres just came off a season ending knee injury.

They need someone who can play right away.

We dont have a line to protect a pocket passer like Slovis.  This Offense will not be changed over night, we will need a mobile QB to transition...  heinrich haarberg has an arm and could be ready under whipple..  JMO.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

We dont have a line to protect a pocket passer like Slovis.  This Offense will not be changed over night, we will need a mobile QB to transition...  heinrich haarberg has an arm and could be ready under whipple..  JMO.

HH going from one scheme to another in two years while being trained by Verduzco gives me little hope. I think whipple is good but that’s asking an awful lot. Agree on wishing we had someone a bit more mobile back there. They certainly have their work cut out for them this year. If only Frost would’ve done this say two years ago & we would’ve been in a much better spot. 

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

I get what you are saying and you maybe right. I haven't seen enough of anybody left in the room to really know. Maybe you have. But HCSF choose to not even give Smothers one snap and played AM when he had a broken jaw and was hobbled by an ankle sprain so he could even run or scramble. That doesn't give me much confidence that anybody we have is able to play at the D1 level.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
27 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

Heinrich Harrberg could be something really special for us although he hasn't had the development and is in the process of correcting some accuracy issues. We've got some talent but we really need to snag a good one for a year and from a competition aspect. 

38 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Heinrich Harrberg could be something really special for us although he hasn't had the development and is in the process of correcting some accuracy issues. We've got some talent but we really need to snag a good one for a year and from a competition aspect. 

I agree but I dont think it will be a non mobile pocket passer like slovis.. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1