Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

3 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I mean isn't that what everyone wanted? No more Adrian?

I am in the camp of the grass isn't always greener.  I was convinced no portal QB would want any part of this 3-9 cluster and so far have been proven correct.  That could change still but I am not holding my breath.  Have to see what Whipple can do with the QBs on the roster. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I can only speak for myself, but I have wanted to bring in someone with experience to compete with Adrian. Also to ensure if Adrian is banged up you don't have to trot him out there. I don't blame Frost for trying to get a portal QB, it sounds like that decision might have pushed AM out the door. It would really suck to lose AM and not get a portal QB. 

• Plus1 4
14 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

I am in that camp. I respect the hell out of him, but a mutual parting of ways was necessary. I hope he recovers well and crushes it at K-State. I am not panicked about the portal. I am sure people would complain if they had landed someone already just because that's what people do these days. I think they know what they want and they aren't just going to grab a body to grab one. They are probably hearing some no's and they are probably telling some of these guys no as well. We don't know how they feel about the in house guys. It's fun to speculate, but I trust what they are doing right now and I know for a fact they are a better judge of talent than I am. From what I hear on national sites there are still quarterbacks who have not entered the portal that will do so after their bowl games. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have anything on our end until January since they cant get these kids on campus right now. I will remain patiently optimistic. 

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, huskerfan99 said:

Rumor that Jay Ducker is entering the portal.

If it turns out to be true, Get him back in Nebraska ASAP!! 

I think it’s more likely he goes to iowa 

Wow on the Slovis news if true. Good luck next year to the staff without a QB. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I am in the camp of the grass isn't always greener.  I was convinced no portal QB would want any part of this 3-9 cluster and so far have been proven correct.  That could change still but I am not holding my breath.  Have to see what Whipple can do with the QBs on the roster. 

11 minutes ago, theknife said:

The opposite of doom and gloom, the Slovis news means we landed Ward or Thompson! :koolaid2:

We have some talent now and it's needing to be developed. My understanding is that they've been working hard. I'm excited about Haarberg in particular. It could be Ward, Thompson or another that ends up here. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
28 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

I am in that camp. I respect the hell out of him, but a mutual parting of ways was necessary. I hope he recovers well and crushes it at K-State. I am not panicked about the portal. I am sure people would complain if they had landed someone already just because that's what people do these days. I think they know what they want and they aren't just going to grab a body to grab one. They are probably hearing some no's and they are probably telling some of these guys no as well. We don't know how they feel about the in house guys. It's fun to speculate, but I trust what they are doing right now and I know for a fact they are a better judge of talent than I am. From what I hear on national sites there are still quarterbacks who have not entered the portal that will do so after their bowl games. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't have anything on our end until January since they cant get these kids on campus right now. I will remain patiently optimistic. 

I’m in the move on from Adrian camp too. Amazing kid, and I wish him well at K-State. I liked having my son watch his pressers because of how well spoken he is and how he talks about adversity. I have so much respect for him as a person. I think he’ll make a wonderful coach one day. As a player, I’ve been ready to move on from him since the middle of 2020. Its funny to hear what knowledgeable football fans of other teams think about Martinez (and the Huskers). 

Former boss - Utah Fan - “The Huskers were one quarterback away from a 10 win season in 2021. The oline wasn’t great, but not as bad as Huskers fans make it out to be.”

Former D-2 QB - ASU Fan - “Martinez is a slow decision maker. That makes or breaks you as a playmaker in the style of offense they run. The oline looks much worse because of how slow he reads the field as he drops back from the shotgun. Why were they always in shotgun? There has to be a better QB in that locker room.”

Wisconsin Fan - “We hate to see him go. He’s a turnover machine. You’re new oline coach will clean up the mistakes on the oline, but they aren’t as bad as Huskers fans seem to think. They didn’t allow Hutchinson a single sack! That should say something. Even our oline looks bad when a QB is slow through his reads. We looked like the same team for the first 4 games of the season this season. That wasn’t due to bad oline okay… it was due to bad QB play.”

Family friend - played DB at Mizzou - “Adrian might be the most overrated QB of all time. He’s a terrible passer, a great runner, but a terrible decision maker. I can’t believe Frost has stuck with him this long. How do you have that many great TE’s that wide open that many times? Terrible QB. He’ll be lucky to start for KSt. That says all you need to know.”

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 2
1 minute ago, Courtesy Flush said:

I’m in the move on from Adrian camp too. Amazing kid, and I wish him well at K-State. I liked having my son watch his pressers because of how well spoken he is and how he talks about adversity. I have so much respect for him as a person. I think he’ll make a wonderful coach one day. As a player, I’ve been ready to move on from him since the middle of 2020. Its funny to hear what knowledgeable football fans of other teams think about Martinez (and the Huskers). 

Former boss - Utah Fan - “The Huskers were one quarterback away from a 10 win season in 2021. The oline wasn’t great, but not as bad as Huskers fans make it out to be.”

Former D-2 QB - ASU Fan - “Martinez is a slow decision maker. That makes or breaks you as a playmaker in the style of offense they run. The oline looks much worse because of how slow he he reads the field as he drops back. There has to be a better QB in that locker room.”

Wisconsin Fan - “We hate to see him go. He’s a turnover machine. You’re new oline coach will clean up the mistakes on the oline, but they aren’t as bad as Huskers fans seem to think. They didn’t allow Hutchinson a single sack! That should say something. Even our oline looks bad when a QB is slow through his reads. We looked like the same team for the first 4 games of the season this season. That wasn’t due to bad oline okay… it was due to bad QB play.”

Family friend - played DB at Mizzou - “Adrian might be the most overrated QB of all time. He’s a terrible passer, a great runner, but a terrible decision maker. I can’t believe Frost has stuck with him this long. How do you have that many great TE’s that wide open that many times? Terrible QB. He’ll be lucky to start for KSt. That says all you need to know.”

Everyone who rates offensive lines for a living is wrong huh?  Some random people you know are right instead?  LMAO.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

Everyone who rates offensive lines for a living is wrong huh?  Some random people you know are right instead?  LMAO.

Mediocre olines will have worse stats with QBs that are slow to process. That was the case with Nebraska. It happened over and over again the past 4 years. Watch the first two series of the Illinois game last year. The commentator says twice in the first two series “Martinez with plenty of time to throw…” then is hurried & throws two terrible passes. That’s who Martinez was. 

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

2 minutes ago, Courtesy Flush said:

Mediocre olines will have worse stats with QBs that are slow to process. That was the case with Nebraska. It happened over and over agin the past 4 years. Watch the first two series of the Illinois game last year. The commentator says twice in the first two series “Martinez with plenty of time to throw…” then is hurried & throws two terrible passes. That’s who Martinez was. 

There were occasions where that was the case. Adrian and his strengths and weaknesses. The offensive line play brought out his vulnerabilities. It's not like he wasn't imperfect or his play didn't have anything to do with it. In truth, BOTH his performances and the offensive line performances contributed to inconsistent execution. Throw in some errors by receivers every once and a while and it all adds up.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
46 minutes ago, Courtesy Flush said:

Former D-2 QB - ASU Fan - “Martinez is a slow decision maker. That makes or breaks you as a playmaker in the style of offense they run. The oline looks much worse because of how slow he reads the field as he drops back from the shotgun. Why were they always in shotgun? There has to be a better QB in that locker room.”

So, all of these people spent time watching Adrian play?  They are WRONG,  our O-line was horrible.  The worst that I can remember.  AM was on the run unable to set feet way too many times.  This wasn't a QB issue !!  This wasn't a scheme issue, this was an O-line issue, and the buck stops there.  "That many 'great' TE?  Allen is pretty good, but I am not sure I say "many great TE".  Really sounds to me as if someone is really stretching to say they aren't an AM fan.  That is fine, we are entitled to our opinions and I respect yours, but these assessments are way off base.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I mean we dont actually know if Verduzco could develop as our only data point is Adrian Martinez who statistically was fine but when it came to crunch time he crumbled. Can you teach a QB to have ice in his veins or is it something you either have or you dont? I tend to lead towards the latter which means you gotta find a guy who puts a team on his back and wills them to victory. 

It can be developed over time. For some it's more natural.

We recall stars shining an impression formed that they actually perform better under pressure than when not. Really it's about players that are affected less by moments involving more pressure. It's just part of the process this or that play in comparison with others. Emotions not distorting events/plays in relation to others. That's why keeping an even keel mentally is emphasized the rational mind remaining engaged at "highs" and "lows". The closer one is to capturing a lead and maintaining one by slim margin the more difficult it is. For individual players and for a team as a whole both. That's where we struggle most.

The more emotions are effectively managed and the more we experience these junctures successfully the better we'll be at it. This or that happened and we overcame anyway and won. We sort of lose our bearings when we need to recognize that it's just part of the game remaining focused on what we can control then DOING it more and more consistently. 

41 minutes ago, M.A. said:

There were occasions where that was the case. Adrian and his strengths and weaknesses. The offensive line play brought out his vulnerabilities. It's not like he wasn't imperfect or his play didn't have anything to do with it. In truth, BOTH his performances and the offensive line performances contributed to inconsistent execution. Throw in some errors by receivers every once and a while and it all adds up.  

I agree 100%. There were issues with both.