Portal Transfer Targets

ndobney

4 hours ago, theknife said:

Casey Thompson has been rumored to be in touch with the staff. 

This would be a great get IMO.  I am not sold on the rumor to TCU is set in stone.  He would have to compete with returning starter Max Duggan, and the super talented Chandler Morris (son of coach Chad Morris).

Also noting that HCSF heavily recruited Thompson during his last season at UCF.  So they do have history.

He's from Oklahoma.  His dad played QB at OU against the Huskers (Charles Thompson).

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I honestly cant see how smothers is so bad that we are seemingly willingly to take whoever in the transfer portal other than him.

Also, how bad does this look that we cant get even 1 D1 qb transfer to come here.

Frost said on signing day he is very selective in QB recruits.  We must assume that the QBs he offers and accepts ARE his carefully chosen few. This means that AM, HH, Masker, Torres, etc are the ones he has decided are the right fit for his team.  Apparently, he has not found a transfer that fits that is willing to come.  

Frost should be always looking for better players at every position, if available, but he should not be taking and keeping guys who don’t fit or are simply not expected to be or become a real contributor in the future.  Let’s hope our current roster has a couple who can lead his offense sufficiently well such as to score 30 pts a game in a majority of our games.  That should be the minimal standard for granting scholarships and filling very precious QB spots.  

It seems reasonable that Frost should find an offense his recruits can effectively operate unless and until he lands a couple that can manage his ideal offensive scheme.  

• Fire 1
10 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Your argument is sound and is pretty much the elephant in the room. I wondered the same thing all season. If he was willing to bench Martinez for McCaffery last season, why cant he bench him for Smothers when his jaw was broken? Is Smothers not the guy? If Smothers is the guy why wasn't he ready to take over sooner? Only time will tell on this story, but in my opinion Frost made the proper changes to his staff to make the improvements in the areas in question. Clearly there was an issue with the development behind Martinez or I think Frost would have replaced Martinez when he broke his jaw.  Michigan looked much better this year making similar staff changes. Can it work for us? The only answer is it has to. 

I agree with that and also hope it works out. My fear is that it was too little too late. IMO Frost has next year and only next year to prove that keeping him was the wise choice. There just can’t be any excuses with anything less than 8 wins with our 2022 schedule. Sadly, I think 6 or 7 will buy him another year when it should not. IMO he got an unearned gift by being given one more year. 6 or 7 wins will not show the required improvement. So, I hope Whipple and Joseph and Raiola turn out to be the miracle workers we need them to be.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, The Dude said:

That they're trying to bring in a transfer QB?  Why yes.  Yes I can.  But it would be pointless.  Remember your terrible memory?  You probably don't. 

No, can you provide a quote showing that the program sold Whipple on the fan base with the fact he was going to be able to easily bring in a transfer QB?

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, The Dude said:

Whipple's selling point was that he'd attract a baller passing QB in the portal.

Nothing against Logan Smothers, but I don't want to watch him throw it 40 times a game.

I thought he was noted for being able to design and call plays that fit the players he had on the team?

If he does end up calling plays instead Frost (that is a big IF) and is going to pass the ball 40 times per game as you indicate then we would probably be better off with HH instead of LS. Maybe that is his plan?

Anybody remember Danny Woodhead? He played at Chadron State (Div. II) back when they were in the same conference as UNK. Undrafted free agent, he had a 10 year career in the NFL.  Woodhead was a Harlon Hill Trophy candidate (the Div. II Heisman equivalent) in 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007, winning the award in both 2006 and 2007.

Why do I bring this up? UNK's QB, T.J. Davis just came in 2nd in this year's Harlon Hill voting. Call me crazy, but I'd love to see what he could do at the Mother Campus.
https://lopers.com/sports/football/roster/tj-davis/7075

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Anybody remember Danny Woodhead? He played at Chadron State (Div. II) back when they were in the same conference as UNK. Undrafted free agent, he had a 10 year career in the NFL.  Woodhead was a Harlon Hill Trophy candidate (the Div. II Heisman equivalent) in 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007, winning the award in both 2006 and 2007.

Why do I bring this up? UNK's QB, T.J. Davis just came in 2nd in this year's Harlon Hill voting. Call me crazy, but I'd love to see what he could do at the Mother Campus.
https://lopers.com/sports/football/roster/tj-davis/7075

I'm from North Platte. Woodhead was passed up on because of his size. I watched him in high school and it was amazing to me no one wanted him in DI. BUT that was how it was back then. People were very tied to size of running backs. Still are a bit, but it's been proven small guys fit into schemes at higher levels thanks to a few people in the NFL. I don't think it necessarily coordinates, but I don't think it's necessarily a great get. You're telling me Smothers and Harberg wouldn't be in that running if they played DII?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

No, can you provide a quote showing that the program sold Whipple on the fan base with the fact he was going to be able to easily bring in a transfer QB?

Okay have it your way.  Whipple is incapable of attracting a QB who can run his system. 

What the hell is the selling point supposed to be now?

1 hour ago, Stone Cold said:

I honestly cant see how smothers is so bad that we are seemingly willingly to take whoever in the transfer portal other than him.

Also, how bad does this look that we cant get even 1 D1 qb transfer to come here.

I say if Whipple is so good, let's see what he can do with the current crop of QB's.  Of course, I am always in the camp of it doesn't matter who the QB is if the OL is going to continue to suck.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

This would be a great get IMO.  I am not sold on the rumor to TCU is set in stone.  He would have to compete with returning starter Max Duggan, and the super talented Chandler Morris (son of coach Chad Morris).

Also noting that HCSF heavily recruited Thompson during his last season at UCF.  So they do have history.

He's from Oklahoma.  His dad played QB at OU against the Huskers (Charles Thompson).

I agree.  I think Thompson may be the best QB to fit what it appears Whipple and Frost like to run. I have watched his highlights and he has a quick release and has great mobility.  It sounds like he was playing with an injury to his hand the 2nd half of the season.    

Our Oline wasn’t close to being as bad as what people say.   Our offensive stats prove that.  

Also,  what makes Whipple this OC/QB guru that people are talking about?  Is it because he had a hypesman contender that was a super senior?  

I still would have taken Harrell or Morris over Whipple just for the recruiting.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 7
8 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

Our Oline wasn’t close to being as bad as what people say.   Our offensive stats prove that.  

Also,  what makes Whipple this OC/QB guru that people are talking about?  Is it because he had a hypesman contender that was a super senior?  

I still would have taken Harrell or Morris over Whipple just for the recruiting.  

I tend to look at it in that I'm shocked our offense was as successful as it was with as bad as our O line was.

Our QB was the most pressured and most sacked in the league....by far.  Our RBs couldn't find a hole to save their lives.

But...yet....our O stats were actually pretty good.  They were that way in spite of our O line.

• Plus1 3